3.0 Sorcery Megathread

How about adding another “friendly” settlement? Or adding more opportunities to trade?

But I would like to see the crossbow added to the game. Especially if they could add a hand crossbow like the one from the movie First Knight.

1 Like

They would be cool, but Funcom’s reason for not doing it, is that it would require a lot of work and not really add anything different from normal bows. That reasoning seems completely sound as I can’t think of any good counter-argument aside from crossbows would be cool.

1 Like

And lore friendly

1 Like

I personally don’t care about sorcery; if its added to the game, fine. But I’m not looking forward to it.

What I have been waiting for is the Settlement system. That’s the promise I’ve been waiting years to experience.

1 Like

LOL…you know…I need to check my WoP now to see what broke since I left one in there.

Unless they can pull off a major overhaul of the thrall AI, I just don’t know how they could squeeze that much more out of them when they already have so much difficulty balancing good AI and server performance.

I would like to see it happen someday too, but unlike sorcery which I think will come eventually, I am not certain the settlement system will ever come.

They sort of officially canceled the settlement system around launch and so they may not even be considering it as a plausible future project anymore.

The settlement system was an idea we had early on to add more NPC life to bases, especially on PvE servers. It was never clearly defined, but we had some high-level ideas.

Many of the ideas we talked about early on will not be in the game. Some of the ideas were abandoned because we had to prioritize other key areas, the primary example being enemy AI. A lot of the same coders that would have worked on doing AI for city life had to focus on improving the general and combat AI for enemies (which was far from good enough at launch). Thankfully we have made significant strides in that area due to this reprioritization. Keep in mind the version that is live for PC now over two months old and a lot of progress on NPC pathfinding and general AI behavior has been made since then.

Some ideas were abandoned because they didn’t work well enough within the framework of the game and some ideas matured into other features that have since been implemented.

For instance, a large part of the settlement system was making thralls more interesting and useful, and some of those features we have added during Early Access. You can now for instance dress them up and equip them with weapons you want them to use, and we have added the ability for thralls to follow you around and help you out in sticky situations. At launch you will also see monsters behaving in more interesting ways, such as foraging for food, resting up, and so on.

“Conan Exiles – Launch and Beyond” Dev Blog

2 Likes

I’m starting to suspect they’ve soft uncancelled it. A lot of the newer interviews with Den are showing his focus on trying to make the world more dynamic and in his words, lived in. They’ve already taken steps this way, with thrall emotes and the events system. These may just be appetizers of a much larger overhaul on the horizon

3 Likes

Yeah. I heard him say that, but I don’t personally believe he was talking about the settlement system.

But if I am wrong, I’ll take a settlement system too.

2 Likes

Hi, get off my thread. Go cry in your own. Off topic and irrelevant

6 Likes

Don’t post on Jimbo’s thread telling him not to reply. Grow up.

3 Likes

I’ve now decided that 3.0 is server maps separated by procedurally generated “oceans” that players have to cross via boats. No more direct server transfers. Instead, some crazy mishmash of Conan Exiles, Valheim and Sea of Thieves.

I’ve also decided I should probably stop eating habanero peppers before bed.

4 Likes

Omg yes. And your character should suffer from scurvy if they didn’t bring enough citrus fruit with them.

1 Like

According to Joel, the Exiled Lands are indeed in (or accessed via) Stygia

somehow indeed.

This is why I believe in the snowglobe theory. I’m actually working on a new thread on that currently, doing up a huge draft in a document before posting. There’s a lot of cool bits to delve into, and a lot of ties to sorcery in the lore already.

2 Likes

Well yes, but unless your mod is installed the sun rises in the south and sets in the north.

So . . . is it really?

I would actually love to understand what the original early access reason was for why the sun and the moon were basically at right angles to each other.

Was it intentional? Was it an “oopsy” that never really got addressed?

happyaccident

2 Likes

4 Likes

I honestly don’t think it’s a bug. I think from day one they had an idea of what direction they wanted to go with the lore. There’s so many lovecraftian references even since the beginning, the only way they could be more up front about it is if they made the moon green. It’s a subtle detail meant to be noticed by lore nerds

2 Likes

Bug? That thing has eight legs, so it must be an arachnid.
But it also has an unsegmented body, so it must be a mite.
But it has antennae, so it must be an insect.
Wait…

3 Likes

3.0 will introduce a Potion of the Blue Lotus that will allow you to travel back in time to the age of the Giant Kings.

There, we get the choice to learn the true story of how their kingdom fell:

• Tyros actually didn’t kill his father, the priest king. In truth, the so-called priest king was a complete d’ckhead that always got into trouble. We already know he fathered a child with a human, which would be something like animal abuse for the giant kings. He also drank like a black hole, and finally got himself killed by smoking a batch of bad black lotus. Tyros was just blamed to cover up the scandal.
  • The giant king empire wasn’t destroyed by the sandstorm, the humans, Tyros or any of that stuff, but by government mismanagement. The populist giant king leadership spend billions of gold coins on building temples, a huge wall to keep immigrants out and several giant golf clubs. After deforesting half the land for their golf addiction, the only way to prevent soil erosion was constant watering, which is why they built the huge aqueduct. In time, however, they got into such a huge debt that the serpentmen of the north weren’t willing (or even able) to give them any more credit.
  • The serpentmen, in turn, saw the desctruction wrought upon their neighbours by disregarding the environment, and so they got into renewable energy. Their greatest achievement, however, a giant geothermal power plant, worked a bit too great - and created the volcano, destroying their industrial base and basically bombing them back into the stone (obisidian) age.
  • The eruptions from the newly formed volcano obscured the light of the sun and caused a miniature localized ice age which destroyed Xullan, the northern Lemurian city.
  • After that, the Lemurians turned to environmental activism under the slogan “f’ing for future”. That also got somewhat out of hand. Over the ages, the message of their main environmental activist, a young student named Derketo, got muddled up quite seriously. Her teachings about love for nature and environmentally caused deaths was perverted into a pretty questionable sex-death-cult. Their nation basically broke down into tribes of murderous hippies. But at least they get to f. a lot.
  • In this confusing vision of the past, the player character’s mission is to stabilize the economy, work out a fair immigration law for the giant kings, teach the serpentmen gender equality and make them call “snake persons” in the future.
  • If you don’t care about saving the world, you can ignore all these events, seduce Telith and gain her trust, spend all of her royal inheritance on unstable crypto currencies and break her heart even harder then Tyros’ (un)death did.
    You can then retreat to the frozen waste in the north, die in a hidden cave, travel back to the present, find your own corpse, harvest your own heart, and forge Telith’s Even Greater Sorrow from it, a two-handed sword that not only causes 100 damage per hit, but also increases global inflation by 1% at each heavy attack.
1 Like