3.0 Sorcery Megathread

I’m partial to 42 :wink:

3 Likes

I’m partial to 7.5 million… Which is the number of years it took to come to the conclusion: 42.

I’m also partial to the number two - the number of programmers who tasked that job. Because if you’ve done any coding you just know that a question like that can only come from a pair. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s been a few days since the last post, but I haven’t forgotten or moved on.

I’ve been doing some thinking lately and I want to pose a discussion about something specific;

The totems when they rise up are aggressively spewing corruption fog. Like a rapid expulsion, not the gentle fog around obelisks usually. What’s up with that? Is the corruption a byproduct, or a necessary fuel for the ritual?

3 Likes

My guess is that it is both necessary fuel for the ritual, but also a produced as a consequence of the ritual.

Corruption is a fuel for magic and seems to be generated from the influence of great evil.

I think the summoning is both a powerful spell that feeds on corruption, while also being a source of great evil at the same time.

3 Likes

Interesting ideas guys. I like this.

Reminds me of a pre-launch sequence , before jettisoning off…

I’ve already said my piece on Sorcery. Now I’m just patiently waiting…

I even went on a TLDR rant.

BTW, there’s lots in my thread I would change given what has changed since I posted on this subject.

I really think corruption is going to play big in sorcery if they put it into game (like it 's going to give you some as you cast your magic). I’m just wondering how this is going to play out with corruption so easily avoided or reduced (drinks, dancers, and passive sigil effect)…the amount of corruption given to maintain balance would be extreme…or maybe something like permament corruption as long as you are a magic user. Level denotes amount of corruption that you have and will always have as long as you have the ability. This could be the mechanic behind sorcerors being fragile.

I think it is supposed to be the opposite of what you are saying.

You don’t get corruption from using magic, you need corruption to use magic.

Corruption is necessary for magic, so a magic user has to intentionally corrupt themselves before they can even start any spells, sacrificing their max health and stamina in exchange for access to magic.

7 Likes

Atleast in Conan I believe on this game you are correct as well.

Exactly. The more corrupt you are, the more money magically appears in your off-shore bank account.

9 Likes

Well that will be easy. One trip to the warmaker and I can get ahold of a weapon that keeps me at 60% corruption to fuel any level of magic I want…gotta be more complex than that.

1 Like

Reagents may come more into play also . No telling really.

Implementing sorcery in the game if it happens would be a massive undertaking. Sorcery as most people mean it, your player performing sorcery in combat, would require quite a bit to stay within lore. Would funcom want a bunch of musclebound warriors casting spells? I doubt it. It is much more tractable to imagine where sorcery is handled by a sorcerer thrall or the domain of npcs only. Or I could imagine that they would have to make sorcerer into a sort of class choice for the character that was irreversible. The problem is, that would take the game more into the rpg direction, which could happen (I would doubt it) but it would probably involve new character designs that were less athletic and more wasted away or something along those lines. If we get sorcery, I’m much more inclined to believe it won’t come from our main character.

1 Like

I can personally attest to this.

I prefer the Caymans myself.

1 Like

But we literally got sorcery here as an event and it matches the lore, too! Kill them with steel! :rofl:

Yes, I believe this is the Conan way ! Onward to victory my Exile Brothers and Sisters and assorted pets and beasts !

A little more seriously, I would be perfectly fine if you could go to a altar/summoning location and have a high end taskmaster thrall try to resurrect a killed pet or thrall and you start to get waves of NPC thralls trying to show up and kill you (PVE) or your location suddenly gets marked on the map like the Grave Matter’s even mark and you are flagged as a target.

Big update to this thread coming soon when I have some time to do a big writeup. I’m going to cover a bit more of the lore side of speculation, covering the source of where this sorcery is coming from; more specifically potential patrons. We’ve already seen Siptah and Thoth-Amon’s patrons, and there’s a lot of lore implications surrounding that.

(Sorry Dan didn’t mean to reply to your post specifically, misclicked on mobile)

5 Likes

Wow that’s thorough

2 Likes