3.0 Sorcery Megathread

Ah that all sounds awesome! You picked up my excitement again. Thanks Jimbo!

3 Likes

Hmm? Do tell!

Do you happen to recall when that was?

It’s been a few years now. If I recall correctly, it got cut for an unknown reason and replaced with the Derketo DLC. If it is coming back, would be a great companion DLC to sorcery much like Riders was to mounts

4 Likes

How so? Do you think it’s another map or would they be paywalling a feature?

I guess it’s more attached to reality of how things are now, if we think something like a map expansion. There to many spaces in the exiled lands. If we think geographically, if the jungle get some ways to go up north of that region, it might be a good place for a deep forest biome wich can be great for a new DLC + revamp of religion and introduction of sorcery. Nothing brings back the memory of a abandoned witch hut, or a sorcery temple then a deep forest enviorement with some dark elements; Maybe some elementals golems, some trolls, some vicious wraith flying around casting fire spells on you… damn, that would be so great…

I’ll bring up a theory that i’ve already discuss with some guys in the @Jimbo discord. If the image, and the first symbol bathed in blood are making a reference for a date, and tomorrow they post the same image with another one blooded, the fill up of the entire image would be on Saturday, counting from today (saturday being the reveal of anything about it). Or maybe, for each symbol its a Lore-event like GM. i dont know, at this point, anything its possible…

1 Like

Not really the most lore friendly though. There wasn’t any witches flying around on broomsticks casting fireball at people. That’s not how magic works in the hyborian age. It’s more ritualistic and mystical. Deals with dark gods for powers incomprehensible to most humans.

i know, what i meant was that a biome like that, ring the bells for memories, in general, of stuff like that.

Just want them to patch the update so I can have a reason to play again.

5 Likes

More teases. No news. I’m so tired of this kind of marketing.

This all started from October '21 (Patch 2.7) and now its the last day of May '22. :frowning: 7+ months… and still counting.

11 Likes

agreed. There’s a limit between tease for hype and tease for nothing

I feel the same way and unless it is something massive, many will be disappointed. I hope it is worth the wait.

11 Likes

i’ve already said before here: a lack of organization with marketing, time lapse between teases and the real stuff to come out, they could get a very bad/opposite reaction. Image players in a 7 months on hold, teasers with nothing solid and BRUTAL HYPE that ITS ALREADY HERE and a content not up to all the listed above… Chaos awaits

7 Likes

I am probably in the minority here but where did you find the info that the acheronian were a hybrid of the giant kings and humans? I am semi familiar with the original works of conan and some of the not original as well. I have put a lot of time into this game as well. Im wondering how I missed that little morsel of information. Any help would be appreciated.

It’s very obscure information, probably most people don’t know much about it. I’ve been diving into the subject as I’m working on a sizeable lore video about the giant-kings and corroborated the few sources we have.

Most of what we know about them comes from Dale Rippke’s essays, such as this one. REH didn’t write much on the subject, mentioning Acheron only once and the giant-kings once as well. There wasn’t any real connection between the two until Rippke put them together. Given he’s the author of the Darkstorm Chronology, his say matters a lot. Much of his essays paved the way for the story of the exiled lands, as the area and it’s surrounding lore only come from a small, scattered assortment of passing mentions in the original works.

The hybrid part I extrapolated myself, piecing together Rippke’s take on the subject with Funcom’s inhuman appearance given to the giant kings we do see. Given Xaltotun doesn’t exactly match the appearance in-game, it can be assumed he is a hybrid, something the game also alludes to with beings like Tyros. Further corroborated is REH’s stygian nobility being physically different from commoners of the same race, suggesting an external bloodline mingled in.

1 Like

It was not cancelled, it was renamed. Debaucheries of Derketo is Mysteries of Acheron. They renamed it because the items in the pack didn’t really fit an Acheronian theme.

They don’t really fit a Derketo theme either.
Tree houses and taverns…
This one supposes the stripper outfit sorta counted.
But given how much the other DLCs actually stuck to their culture/group…
That content only intersected with lust and death in the idea of alcohol poisoning and beer goggles.
Especially off considering none of her symbolism was present and that her worship is primarily in Shem, Stygia, Kush, and the Black Kingdoms…
There wasn’t even a new Derketo placeable for clucks sake.
Debauchery has really let itself go over the years if we now consider a strip club the height of religious degeneracy.

2 Likes

Well it wasn’t designed to be for Derketo, it was intended to be Acheronian.

The theme was likely decided long before the developers started working on it, but they made stage platforms, tavern RP pieces, and tree foundations because those were things the players wanted. At some point, they realized that this stuff was anything but Acheronian and needed to pull a new theme out of the hat.

Derketo was just something vaguely close to what they had created, but they probably had already made most of the DLC components before the new theme was even determined.

So, no, it isn’t really very Derketo because it wasn’t meant to be, but it is more Derketo than it is Acheronian.

Also, a truly Derketo theme would be pretty disgusting. Her religion is way more degenerate than I think most players would be comfortable with.

3 Likes

Disgusting is one way of putting it
Highly intersectional with Hellraiser/Cenobites/Pinhead is another.
This one jests.
But only barely.
A Lament Configuration DLC would have more in common with Derketo than the Taverns in Trees DLC. That content felt like it was material that was intended for the base game, bundled up and given a price tag.
~redacted textwall~

Some more actual Acheron content would be nice, especially as a base game add. This one hopes against hope that they are not just recycling an existing symbol…

2 Likes