A call to end land claim feature

Typical. One of the constants of gaming is that there’s always someone that’s all “RAWR!!! PVP!!! SCREW EVERYONE ELSE!!!”.

Well, to me and countless others, PvP is a waste of time. In contrast, however, we’re fine with it being there as long as it’s isolated from those of us who prefer not having to put up with some (the only appropriate words here are censored) who thinks it’s funny to use his maxed out character to slaughter new characters and generally prevent anyone else from playing the game.

You want to stop foundation spam, fine. So do we. But do it in a way that makes sense for both modes.

2 Likes

That would be a fine attitude if this weren’t a SURVIVAL GAME. This is not a modeling game. It’s a combat and survival game. So tell me again which mode is useless and a waste of programmer energy? The safe spaces player modes or the play with the big boys where we don’t care about your feelings and actually follow the motto of the game.

Survive, Build, Dominate

I had my hands dirty in the devkit, once you make a base and place the flag it could propagate the claim to all blocks connected to the block under the flag, and if it would be going like rust and like you said, with upkeep materials, the bigger the base the bigger the upkeep resources, so you need to come back in and farm the resources for the upkeep costs. :wink:

3 Likes

Makes perfect sense in full on PVP mode. It’s also ridiculous that there’s no siege ladders either. Bubble/pillar bases wouldn’t have been nearly as op if ladders existed outside of players standing on top of each other and then explosive/gas arrowing inside a bubble against the ceiling to break in. (Imagine having 10 dudes all standing on top of one another to break into a base that only one person was AFK defending) removing land claim spam and either nerfing the build speed or increasing building cost of foundations to be really high would negate a lot of unintended gameplay that we currently see.

2 Likes

The term “survival game” has nothing whatsoever to do with PvP. It’s an offshoot of the action/RPG genre focused on the idea of surviving in a hostile, open world environment with a focus on gathering resources, crafting, building, etc., often with additional mechanics like food, water, illness, etc. That “modeling” you think so little of is the game.

The PvP element is nothing but an add-on for people that think crouching on other players’ dead bodies is the height of skill and maturity.

2 Likes

Well it’s still in the code and the devkit(i think it’s still there), before climbing was implemented we did human pyramids, so the devs implemented that when you do human pyramid it sums the weight to the lower player and as soon as you go 500%(or something like that) encumbrance you splat in a bomb of blood. It’s still there, try to get 6 friends to climb of top of each other, the one below will die in a bloody mess.

We did human ladders pretty recently with no encumbrance related deaths. Got a lot of rage and tears for it but hey at least we didn’t use the flying weapons rack glitch. Honestly there should be siege ladders/platforms (though easy to destroy) that can be placed on enemy land claim. I say let people build big walls if they want to but equally allow anyone to build a ladder and climb right over it if not defended.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I have to begrudgingly agree. the problems you face in those modes, such as mass land claimers and walling off important areas, are part of the reality of the game and being able to smash them is just necessary. I tried PvE-conflict once and was just simply let down by the way people act when un checked.

So I’m still on your side!

1 Like

Didn’t Trump just face that same reality in the news lol?

1 Like

for rizzle?! that needs to be implemented!

2 Likes

You’re welcome to try. You can stand on any number of player but anticlimb will prevent you from getting over our walls. Ladders are a great idea however, the anticlimb should provide some defense against that.

I’d like to see battering rams.

2 Likes

PvP is a natural part of the survival genre. People crying about Conan pvp being “too toxic” should probably go play ark and see the nightmarish difference.

2 Likes

What makes the world hostile? The environment, npcs, animals, purges, sandstorms, poison gas, undead, etc. Also the need for food and water and shelter. These are the kind of things that the survival genre was built on. Not just beating each other over the head with a rock. Other players are nothing more than other players.

1 Like

Oh please. PvP is a toxic cesspool everywhere whether it’s in survival games or arenas or FPS. You want it, fine, you can have it. But there’s many, many more people who would rather not have to put up with it.

1 Like

And that’s fine if they want to play the pve version but the pvp game is gonna be toxic at times and full of little savages. A game set in a barbaric, savage atmosphere where killing, pillaging and taking slaves is the norm is going to attract those who whole heartedly abide by the law of the jungle. Conan pvp is about might making right not building Mr. Rodger’s neighborhood.

2 Likes

gaming is a waste of time, but we do it anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or squatted. :smiling_imp:

I already like this guy. :grinning: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I play pvp because I like the challenge in playing with other humans, and when I manage to kill my opponent, even being a griefer, usually use the bow animation. (this seems to piss even more those actually).

I feel your revolt against the online competitive environment, there are 70% toxic ppl, and 30% “normal” ppl, most of the 70% usually are kids, but I found some mature ppl to share the same sadness aswell.
There is room for both crowds, being a Conan Multplayer game, it is in fact surprising to have a PvE/Coop aspect, because lets face, Conan is a barbarian, “harsh and brutal world”, those things yell PVP! Dont’t get me wrong, I do a lot of PvE, being a confessor, more than PvP because PvP encounters for obvious reasons doesnt happen that much.

3 Likes