A Forum Related Issue

Not certain if anyone else has this issue too or I am just special. But ever since the Forum was adjusted/modified for the addition of the ‘Isle of Siptah’ category, this problem presented. It occurs when I press on the ‘emoji’ icon when composing a post. When I do so it becomes very laggy and slow to bring up the window and options, and thereafter, probably no fewer than 1 out of every 3 times, it causes the Forum to become unresponsive and crash on my android device. I tend to use the Forum on my moblie (cellular) phone.

I probably should have reported it before now, but I just didnt want to make a fuss. But after a while it has been slowly grinding away at me. So I have now decided to do so. @AndyB this may be one for you mate.

1 Like

I have similar issues, but on PC. The emoji tab slows, doesn’t always load all the emojis, not just when I select one, but when I read comments.

1 Like

Seems snappy still on a mobile phone. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi my friend let’s see what happens I am on mobile phone :smirk::dog::camel:

2 Likes

Worked fine unless I sent the wrong type all I have access to. :grinning:

2 Likes

If it is happening to you even on a PC rolee9309, the platform which should experience the least or no difficulties, then I think I can safely say that it is not an isolated incident. For me it seems to be ok displaying the ones I am reading from other peoples posts. However when it comes to inserting one of my own its a whole different ball game. I cannot say that I have tried it on my laptop, as it is a slow old dinosaur. But perhaps I will give it a try over the weekend. I only know that the appearance of this issue coincided with the addition of the Isle of Sptah category.

Ok this is a curious development. @darthphysicist and @sestus2009 what type of operating system (correct term?) do your phones run on? For example, are they Blackberry, Android, Apple (IOS?)? Mine uses android. Its not toooo old either. Just trying to tease out some variables here.

1 Like

Android 8.1

Samsung Galaxy 7

IOS on an Iphone X… the only thing slowin me down is old man fingers

2 Likes

I know about old man fingers. I use my index finger most the time with alot of back spacing. Why I don’t type long posts. Talking to phone is not always an option.

2 Likes

My issue is big fingers.
But yeah I had that issue with forum page freezing while trying to reach emoji. So you’re not alone!

2 Likes

The forums seem very sluggish in general on my phone, scrolling down in a big thread looks very “stuttery”. Blizzard uses the same forum layout but there it runs smooth, even in huge threads with lots of images etc.
The emoji selection here however runs fine for me when creating a post.

2 Likes

What browser are you looking at the forum with, O Faithful of Crom? Chrome sometimes has an issue with how it prioritises actions it detects as laggy. Not likely to be the issue, but worth asking.

Personal experience, I only find the forum gets laggy if I read a lot of messages, but restarting my browser usually clears the issue. PC only, I have to say; my phone is pants for everything Internet. Plus old man fat fingers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha. I know you guys mean when it comes to ‘old man fingers’ and mine are of a similar vintage. :laughing: However, as an avid guitarist mine are long and have managed to maintain their dexterity. However…trying to get them to use technological things, which my brain struggles with, can become a mess.

1 Like

Mine is a little on the slow side too Force. However, in my case I have always attributed this to lousy signal and being in a fairly remote area.

Ok. It seems that this is not a widespread problem thus far. This is good in way, I am glad that most other peoples is working fine.

Hey Broc its nice to bump into you again old friend! Being decidedly average at using technology and kind of trapped in the past at that, most of the time I tend to stick with Explorer. Not sure if it could be having any bearing on the situation or not?

Oh another one of us. Give me strength. :joy:

Phones are designed for kids (the speed they type with their thumbs is terrifying), not us. I count myself lucky if I can hit a single letter with a fingertip rather than covering a couple at once - 20 years of martial arts and not being careful haven’t left a huge amount of dexterity :wink: . I’ll stick with a real keyboard… (The phone’s mostly just for storing Doctor Who audio plays for long journeys)

2 Likes

Out of interest you ‘old men’ - looking at you Croms_Faithful; @darthphysicist; @sestus2009 & @Broc - at what age are we considering being old? No specifics, just an over xx age will do.

My kids think I’m old, my body feels old, but my mind and attitude don’t feel old. I don’t use my phone to read the forums, takes me too long to move my head and glasses around to read the text and squinting really hard just isn’t working as well anymore.

2 Likes

Oddly enough I find I am (somewhat at least…) more proficient with my mobile than my laptop. I have always found windows and computers in general very complicated to use/workwith. I find that phones just have a simpler interface with fewer menus, but that is just me personally DanQuixote. But I hands down know exactly what you mean by the thumb typing speed of young fellas nowadays…wheew! I find to my own shame I often have to ask mine for help with the computer.

Ps- are emojis working ok on your device buddy?

2 Likes

Old is when more than half your body parts have a defect they didn’t have at birth… or when your hair has fully migrated south; having more toe knuckle hair than eyebrows is a good metric…

5 Likes