A mysterious package

without content being released right?

So you’re calling our puzzle maker a psychic? Or a Funcom insider?

Don’t be silly!
The Puzzle Maker is clearly one of the Dreamers reaching through from beyond the Outer Darkness to drive us puny mortals to madness through unholy riddles.
Couldn’t be simpler, really :grin:

1 Like

I’m saying no such thing. I’m just offering a possible connection to the puzzle.

Tenements seems to be a critical word in the puzzle and that block is a potential candidate, perhaps.

Actually, if you TURN the note RIGHT (see hint of ppl. going DOWN but turning RIGHT at Albuquerque) - then the capital K is not a K… it is the greek PI on the side. And Unicode for small pi ( 03C0 ) actually opens the file - but possibly a coincidence, as it is still empty as with many passwords.

Also, the o in from in the fourth row is squished together… once again, if you rotate right, next to the pi you’ll see the number 3 - if from was spelled normally, the m would be farther down, and not next to the K (i.e. pi)

Adding to that, the space in “off set” is exactly next to π3 when rotated

So… I was discussing the mysterious box with Umagon last year and in doing so I obtained some information. As the info is out, I have confirmed that she is happy for me to share them.

She confirmed the files need to be recombined.
(7-zip is free http://www.7-zip.org/download.html)
(it is better if you follow your own hypothesis through to conclusion rather than proposing others do it for you, because, well others might not do it for you, or may misinterpret your idea and what is assumed to be a covered lead is in fact not. But do share your ideas and findings).

• The password is a phrase

• The pass-phrase contains no spaces

• The pass-phrase uses numbers and letters

• The pass-phrase letters are all lower case

• The spelling of themselves has nothing to do with the password (i.e. the use of ‘f’ is not a clue)
    …however all the characters in the pass-phrase are contained within the note

• There is no anagram dealing with the password

• The paper object has nothing to do with this puzzle

6 Likes

Sounds like we can limit the possible digits to 0,1, 5 (posing as ‘o’, ‘l’, ‘s’)?

This makes me wonder where the numbers come from. My thoughts had been since we “must off set” that it means something like a basic Caesar cipher which offsets by just the alphabet. You wouldn’t end up with numbers from that.

As an aside, “the tenements of known reality” sounds a bit like dimensions. Which could be 10, 11, or 26 based on different theories.

I’ve tried various caesar cipher shifts, particularly of the key “themselfs”, to no avail.

Edit: In the past I also thought of trying a Vigenere cipher where you have your text to encode and a key you add together to create your offset password.

No, it sounds like we’re converting something into hexidecimal and that will be the password.

I see no reason to reject Peloprata’s suggestion.

1 Like

I see it as an argument against hex.

Most likely a natural language

• The pass-phrase contains no spaces
  • The pass-phrase uses numbers and letters
  • The pass-phrase letters are all lower case

Could be a hex representation of the phrase

• All the characters in the pass-phrase are contained within the note

Expanding the allowed digits to account for the letters of hex notation gives the set [0, 1 , 5, a, c, e, f].
A quick consultation with an ascii table indicates that:

• Numbers run 0x30…0x39
  • Capital letters run 0x41…0x5A
  • Lower case letters run 0x61…0x7A

With the restricted set of digits we’d be limited to standard representations of [‘P’,‘Q’, ‘U’, ‘Z’]. There’s a vowel at least, but it’s still a pretty limited set for building a phrase from. (Incidently space is 0x20, so ascii conversion is also unlikely to be related to the lack of spaces in the password)

If it’s not an ascii conversion or natural language phrase, there’s more possibilities, but it remains a highly restrictive set of digits.

1 Like

This is exactly what I implied and no more.

Is this relevant? It seems like it would be relevant, but I’m bad at these things. But I want to document it anyways.Untitled

It seems to be related to Tron’s map guessing game over in Places we will not be. I don’t think there’s any connection to this puzzle.

4 Likes

It would be quite funny to accidentally crack one puzzle in search of the answer to another.

But yes, I think it’s related to Tron’s thing rather than the package. But it also doesn’t hurt to try and slam two bits together for a time, I suppose. Might prove as a eureka moment for some.

1 Like

So, given this and the creator’s old claims that they’re wondering how someone can complete investigation missions but be unable to complete the puzzle, I feel like the solution is easier than anybody gave it credit for: has nobody gone through the note and read some of the words as numbers?

There are at least two to be gleamed. Those being “one” and “Ten” from tenements.

As far as I’ve taken it, I combined some of the “deliberately” uppercase/lowercase letters with the one and ten to get “v1f10k” - which didn’t work, of course, otherwise I wouldn’t be here suggesting it.

I also notice that nothing was clarified about turning the note upside down.

(To clarify: I think that the ‘deliberate’ letters thing is silly and was only exploring the possibility. Another thing I tried was just putting in “1s10”, going off of the idea that the ‘s’ was separate from ‘themself’ - that didn’t work.)

I tried off setting myself 5 from the tenements of known reality and got the fifteenements of known reality, but that’s not the password either.

1 Like

This might be a silly question, but maybe it has something to do with actual historical tenement buildings?

So you guys haven’t been trying to brute force this for the past 4 years?

There were attempts at this.