Alternative to slavery

Recruitment. Yeah. Thats a rad idea man.

When thinking about purge…
Maybe one can understand you disliking to murder whole crews just to get one rare spawn, and then to not treat him like we really wished for that one to appear, but instead putting him on the wheel…

Then again - to come back to purges - what do you think about those people who want to kill you and destroy your base. In a way, putting those attackers on the wheel might be the same as throwing people into jail… isnt it?
So “enslaving” (or putting them to work for the community) should be fine when its thralls which already attack you without you going near any thrall camps, trying to roleplay a happy, friendly and peaceful neighborship?

On the other hand… has that thrall-selling guy in setcity/seperumu been some joke or will that be reality? Because… well… just assume you got a neat lifetime account for those, allowing you to use them until your toon ceases to be.

2 Likes

Exactly and the truncheon is the perfect measurement tool of one’s capability to do the work later on.
So this game has the perfect job interview. No sexual harassment like in the cave-man days… just simple persuasion to go to gym and prepare for the work :smiley:

But Than that’s another story… It maybe just me but the most of my workers end up in a chest.
Maybe I am too lazy to fire ppl when I found a better candidate? :smiley:

Wait WUT? How was I sooooo stupid? I haven’t even think about truncheoning the ■■■■ out of those guys who will come to attack my base periodically.

I mean if they come to my door to have a job interview I cannot see why I shouldn’t give them their wishes…

Thank you for the idea.

3 Likes

It’s about options, you dingle, you will still be able to do all of that other stuff, but it would be nice to have alternatives. Thrall taking doesn’t bother me personally, but for roleplaying, some characters don’t take slaves, like Conan for example, and most Cimmerians. I think you’re getting a little too political with this, and blowing it way out of proportion. Relax.

If they want to add this feature they’ll add it, if they don’t, they don’t. This is a suggestion forum for a reason, not a “Hmm - maybe I shouldn’t suggest this because it might take a while to implement” forum or a “Let me push my political agenda on a tiny, niche community” forum.

3 Likes

Honestly… I’ve just convinced myself that "these people are homicidally unwilling to talk so I just bludgeoned them and tossed them on the wheel until they get all that angst out of their systems. Then they saw how amazing my living conditions were compared to theirs and opted to follow me willingly, heck i feed these people steak when they are on the wheel… they aren’t exactly being tortured.

It would be nice to be able to recruit willing npcs, heck it would be nice if there were a couple more places where not /everyone/ wanted to kill you. But I got passed it lol…

XD I will admit that I forgot about what exactly the full sized wheel of pain from conan was and had to look it up, the first one literally looks like a medieval exercise machine, I’d use it.

I guess you know only the movies? I highly recommend reading Howard’s original stories, they are quite a good read and present Conan in a very different way than the movies did.

Conan is actually pretty much anti-slavery and while I have no problems personally with taking thralls, I do agree with the OP that a differnt way should exist. It would feel a lot more in the spirit of R. E. Howard’s stories.

5 Likes

I’ve actually been reading up since getting the game, I love lore in general when it comes to literally everything I get in to, XD especially since even though I don’t really rp I tend to end up giving my characters a background and te like…

Anyway >.>;; i still agree with this topic, even if it were more difficult if they added a way to recruit followers non-bludgeoning and enslaving them I’d switch to that in a second

Something that doesn’t require an entire new system built for it to work (and all the bugs with existing code that would ensue,) might have a better chance of working. Why not make it so that if you free another player’s thralls, they join you, as if they already completed the wheel of pain?

You raid another player… free thralls… thralls have to walk back to your base (could use WoP for map point,) and upon reaching the location, they become controllable by you. So you’d be encouraged to free them, AND protect them on their journey back. Similar to dragging, but more friendly… and could get you into a world of hurt, when they ‘take a shortcut’.

1 Like

Then again, they basically are all suffering from Stockholm syndrome; so in that case, you WOULD have to forcefully ‘free’ them against their will.

1 Like

there is lot of cages around in different camps so it would be great if you could free the prisoners from the cages, not drag him/her, but carry them home and not placing them to wheel of pain, but to Spa, Rehabilitation Tent or some other equivalent of Wheel of pain where you would have new type of thrall - Healer, Filed Doctor or what ever…

So what do we need? New animation for carrying, New “crafting station”, new thrall + creative way how to open the cage so it would be time/difficulty equivalent to “truncheon fight”

“EASY”, interesting enough, lore friendly, etc etc… I would prefer this way of obtaining fresh recruits.

An alternative would be cool. I’m not sure I want a slave cooking my stew…
I definitely do want my dancers to be slaves though. Chained to the bed, too.

1 Like

Even if Conan is anti Slavery, we are not playing as Conan. We play as an Exile in the world of Conan.

But I still like the idea of getting NPCs using different game mechanics, the more game mechanics put into a game, that means more gameplay.

2 Likes

One silver coin per tier, per day for hired labour. One gold coin for a named artisan.

Why else can we make a coin press?

Certainly not to buy an over priced ale and some mystery soup in a dingy Sepermeru dive.

2 Likes

I don’t mind so much the taking slaves thing, but I hate the fact that we have to murder whole villages/settlements in order to take the thralls we need. I’d happily go about about not using any thralls, it’s just the game kinda forces it, since if you don’t, you don’t have access to the good quality armors and weapons.

For RPing reasons I go to great lengths to avoid having to kill NPCs when they attack me and I just truncheon them and leave them there… and just take the ones I want. It takes painfully slow approach and having to deal with some real issues with the combat system and animations.

But sometimes having to kill a few is unavoidable, as if they attack in mass, you cannot even use the truncheon properly while being attacked by more than 2 NPCs, since the animations are so slow and so buggy that every hit will miss, and/or you’ll be staggered by every hit constantly… not to mention NPCs wielding shields that block you even if you aren’t targeting them.

If you go inside the ship, for example, or Asagarth… I really do not see a way of taking that one crafter you need without murdering the whole world… and that’s what I dislike with the system and that’s why I avoid going to take my thralls from highly populated places, even if those are the best places to get them.

EDIT: So, yeah… TL/DR: I’d also prefer to have another OPTION instead of the current one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would be neat to be able to trade with NPC villages instead of enslaving them.

1 Like

well… you can trade in Sepermeru, but… glass flask, feathers, soup…? No thanks… So yeah. It would be really great to have more places like this affected by reputations based on you religion but with this ideas we are looking too deep to the Rabbit hole… this things are not going to happen

I thoight more about some kind of trading routes between villages and bases

that would be also great, but i would recommend you to keep your hopes low…i wont hurt so much later :wink:

1 Like

I know. But I was so hyped for this game and now I want it to succeed