As an Archer I am a little sad

It seems we just have to test the waters when the time comes.
I’m pretty sure changes will happen over time. No patch is ever a “Final” setting. :slight_smile:

I may try to mix Melee in with Archery as a Last Resort maybe. I don’t know yet.

My issue is I never use Heavy Attacks. I don’t even have it Hotkeyed. So…

I will practice always with Light Attacks and Dodging. I’m great at Dodging.

The intended purpose for archery should always also be hunting in a survival game. I really, really dislike the focus on PvP. This made more than one game worse for me. The archery changes to Conan Exiles are no exception. I really, really hate how it works now.

3 Likes

i made a mod to rebalance all the bows and uped the dmg an all by 2,5 for light hits (left click) and 3 times on hard hits ( right click).
With this it feels so much better and is fun again.

Feel free to test it and search for Bow_Rebalance

I hope i can bring back a little bit fun to archers!!!

1 Like

Yes. I added it and a few others to favorites earlier today and very much appreciate your work and what you are attempting to achieve. I’ve just switched from TestLive back to Live early this morning (though haven’t played it as yet) and once I yet again get a fresh feel for base game archery with a new playthrough, I am going to give your mod and excited test. It looks to be the most reasonable of them.

P.S. I expect that whomever hits the sweet spot with a bow/archery mod, may just be livin’ like a rockstar, for a time, at least, soon after launch. (Unless, miraculously, Funcom manages to patch bow/archery/accuracy changes in that time, which is highly doubtful and was stated will not happen.)

2 Likes

thank you, i appriciate it. Test it and i would love to hear a feedback on the little mod.

Enjoy the game with it <3

1 Like

Would there be anyway to hook in a setting server side to adjust the damage amount?

Archery is complete useless against melee atm. A Special attack with a normal hunting bow and iron arrows hit a crocodile for 8-10% of his life. But you can only shoot, while the mob is not in melee range. But you have to wait 3 seconds for every shot :frowning: With a melee weapon you can instantly start the next attack.

With a melee weapon is it also possible to hit 2 or 3 targets with 1 special Attack. So all you have to do is spamming specials :confused:

Spent atm 10 points into archery and only 5 in strength, but a melee weapon is a much much better choice.

3 Likes

Compare Bow vs Meele Build, the Bow isnt even worst to pick up.
With a full Bow Build u take some shoots to kill some of the beast, fighting agains NPCs isnt the big problem at all, the big mobs around the world make this game as a range player terrible.

Myself enjoy the bow in many other games, but at conan its feels like most of the spend points are usless, even the perks are kind “usless” because animals dont take 50% more dmg at headshots, feels like the bow perks more focused on PvP. The Single Damage agains a Single target is much to less, really to less! the big bugs at the black pirate ship need with a Old Bow about 7-12 Shots (Full Dex + Grit build) with an Old Axe ( Full Str Build) i pull 5-7 of them and AoE All with simple 3 hits… Even NPCs need 2 to 6 Arrows, with a meele build i am able to kill most of them at once.

To compare the Stuff at all, Melee Vs Bow
Melee need a Armor + Weapon, thats it, the Range DPS guy need the Armor + Weapon + Arrows and BUNCH of them, because the lack of dmg they do, so without putting some points into it, you arnt able to have some big fights. The Arrow Crafting cost are really high compared to the dmg they do, 10 each craft is ok, but u need much more to kill some stuff. Running arround with 1000 Arrows as a clear Archer ends with short adventures. Even the Big World Bosses need Solo more then 500 Arrows, a Single Axe hold longer. Not only that, the Durability of a bow is MUCH lower then a Meele Weapon, compared to the time it need to be used to kill a target.

At all, Bow / Archer need alot of love and rework, because right now, its more a big hole that eats up all your mats for nothing, sad i love the bow, but at this points, my mates hate me, because most of the mats are spend up for “NoDMG” and farming hourse over hourse for some “nice” Shots, that get pulled and 3-Shots by the melee, make me feels useless at all.

5 Likes

Thank you Shu for that feedback.
It should help us as well as the Devs (If they read this) to better balance Weapons and Play Styles in the game. :slight_smile:

I would like to know that to. Right now the 2.3 and 3 times damage are way to high.

But would I really would like to see is that the devs take a look at the whole range combat system and make fundamental changes and not only some changes in damage.

1 Like

so true words Shu and you described it perfectly " the black hole who consumes all my mats and energy and whats the reward? laughing Monsters and angry comrades :frowning:

Playing now with the bow mod and I`am now laughing and the Monsters run :wink:

P.S. since yeasterday i cant use my Firefox Browser to get into the official Site and Forum. Any Problems known?

Its not viable at all, even when you get rid of the diminishing return on accuracy, you would still need to remove the wait time for heavy attack and the weird auto aim in free shoot mode. then you would have to increase the speed of the arrow by like 10-20% more to make it a small what viable support build. As it stands now anyone who knows how to fight can take out someone with a bow even if they are ambushed. 1 melee fighter can take on at least 3 bow users at once and come out of it ok.

1 Like

since the combat update I have only used the bow to hit the targets in the dreggs and at my clanmates heads for lols

1 Like

I dont think Accuracy is any were close to Strength and I dont think it should be equal to it. Bows are a great weapon to start a fight with and if the player runs are good for finishing.

For me i view bows like a off hand or a secondary weapon.

Its not lost on me people want to go full bow and not use any of the melee weapons. Just for me and my play style I think bows are in a good place they are not completely broken you just have to use them with other weapons now and pick how and when you use them more wisely.

even if they make it equal to strength you can its not going to make them equal / main frame combat. even before the upgrade it never way. you can easily doge a bow before and after the CU. plus a shield pretty much makes arrows useless. now if the power attack that did not have that much delay and a certain arrow type had shield break it could be still the same lol

How about a little levity? If you want -1 Accuracy, invest 1 point and equip the eye patch. lol

1 Like

Which means you arent an archer. You are a melee, who uses bows for convenience. (Sounds like that.)

To me daggers would be my secondary weapon, twohanded sword being the third one.
You might already know, but bows have been the most fun to me and I really hope for bows to work out perfectly again.

Using bows wisely? They are good to deal a first amount of damage if speaking of weak targets, or good for exploiting AI. But that is basically it.
Taking on a boss with a bow with exploiting or staying on your toes like 500% more than as melee?
As there are no special effects on arrows, it’s only some lower amount of damage, which needs more materials, time and wastes a ton of statpoints. It is a bad trade.

3 Likes

It’s frustrating that some people think carrying nothing but a bow is the way to play a game like this. Even Legolas pulled out the blades when it was time to get down and dirty. Frankly I think subjecting other players to a rigid play style could be considered selfish and is actually degrading to the teams effectiveness as a whole…

I have always considered accuaracy a level of the ability to bypass armor using either melee or range. After all it’s accuaracy that would allow your blade or missile to hit that “crack” in the armor.

1 Like

No.
Not the way to play this game.
But it should be a viable one.
At the same time, a raging “Guts” (berserk, anyone?) can play this game only using that weapon just fine. (Putting dregs aside.)

Shu pointed out how having an archer at all is actually degrading the teams effectiveness already.
If archers have been meant to be supportive (which would mean they contribute to a kill in some way and with a considerate amount), there would have been so many ways to go on about that.
The same wont happen to some pure melee party, where one picked the short straw, having to bring a bow and ammo for dregs or stuff.

As for Legolas… I think he got his sword out when he was out of ammo or was doing some “special” stuff? And he still did like 90% of his killing using the bow.

And subjecting players to a rigid play style is actually being done right now. With archers being subjected. Of course people would speak up because they are unhappy with that.
Bows have been OP in hands of someone who could use it properly. But the same applies on any melee weapon as well…

2 Likes