Bases gone after flagging someone else

Neither base was huge in terms of size compared to other bases. But why the ban?

should tell you the reason when you try to reconnect to officials.

if not you can submit another ticket to zendesk and wait 2 weeks to find out why.

Nope no reason, and already sent an appeal.

I wonder if we are seeing a backlash against the report meta?

Please keep posted about how the appeal goes and what reason they give for your ban.
This is curious.

It’s also possible the people you reported also reported you in the same activity cycle.

1 Like

I had a maessage in the login denial

I’m not sure you know what Zendesk is. Its just a third party support ticket web thing that FC uses to organize complaints and reports on their rented servers.

When someone files a ticket, it gives the server admin a notification. They check the ticket for which server it is and whereabouts to go. Then they have to login to the server to check out what’s what. If they happen to see something flagrant when they do this, they may take action right there.

I wouldn’t put it past a reporter having done something wrong and inadvertently tattled on themselves. I’ve personally seen this as a private server admin on a few occasions.

That doesn’t fit with ANY of the previous cases we’ve been able to witness so far tho. So if that happened, it’s pure coincidence, completely outside the norm, and some kind of special case.

1. Zendesk is just a collection and forwarding service.
  2. There’s almost no way any case ever gets addressed in less than a week. Rare would be any exceptions.
  3. Cases are handled on a per user basis. Admins (supposedly) investigate, the person who was complained about and decide to take action or not. Occasionally (rare but it happens) they will address a base nearby if they see a problem while administering to the original complaint.
  4. There’s nothing scriptable so I dunno what kind of script you’re talking about… A script Zendesk runs to collect all the complaints from the day and mail them to Funcom? That could be…

I’ve seen plenty of posts about multiple bases being wiped on 1 server from zendesk at the same time. There is even youtube videos about the same thing.

I’ve also had multiple tickets dealt within a week or less. Fastest one was submitted Feb 1st and closed Feb 3rd with land claim spam also removed.

You must get off spamming misinformation or something! :person_shrugging:

Paste the script here then.

1 Like

Update. Turns out at least one other clan got banned as well. Starting to feel like someone flagged us since we both had prime spots at the mounds of the dead.

That sounds interesting. It would be even more interesting to see it, although with any identifying information scrubbed out to protect the privacy of those involved.

There’s a lot of leeway in that. I’m pretty sure anyone with reasonable knowledge of SQL could come up with a script that analyzes the game database and produces a report based on certain criteria.

It’s up to a human admin to follow up on a report like that, identify what is actually a violation and what’s a false positive, and then act upon that violation.

Honestly, that’s precisely what I would expect that system to look like. There’s nothing wrong with giving your admins tools to help them, as long as there’s a human involved in the process, and I haven’t seen anything to indicate that there isn’t one.

Nah, they’re just summarizing their experience and what they’ve seen on the forums so far. Just like you are doing with your own experiences. So let’s not go straight for each other’s throats just yet :wink:

That’s an unreasonable request. Even if a Funcom admin was kind enough to explain how the process works, there’s no reason to expect they would share their script with a player. That would be utterly ludicrous.

If you want to ask for something, ask to see the conversation with the admin, but don’t troll the guy like this.

Yeah, most likely you broke some rules with your own build and you got either reported by someone else or the Funcom admin noticed while they were handling reports. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It could be a script that identifies “possible violations” and provides a list of coordinates the admin then teleports to in order to adjudicate.

1 Like

Well its not a script that does the banning, there MIGHT be a script that helps edit the text file that holds the blacklist (which is how bans are handled, hence why they take effect and expire on server restart), but there isn’t some automated thing that searches the databases.

Its also unlikely he had a ‘lengthy discussion’ with an employee of funcom. Not unless the rest of you official players are lying about there being zero communication about bans. Something isn’t adding up here.

They MIGHT have that. I know what this is, and have it available on the server I help admin on. But we have it turned off. I can’t imagine it being helpful on a loaded official server. Its like a poor man’s version of Pippi’s heatmap. It’s benefit is its a web api that doesn’t require a mod on the server to work.

I think people jumped on what @Apple1 wrote and interpreted it as “there’s a script that bans players”, instead of :

True, it’s not the most understandable way to write it, but not everyone here is a native English speaker, and even native English speakers often screw up. :man_shrugging:

Point is, if both @helium3 and I guessed at what was being said here, then perhaps it’s not too unreasonable to expect others to try before getting confrontational :wink:

If you’re suggesting that either @Apple1 is lying or the rest of official server players are lying, then that would be a false dichotomy.

Players who have been banned have reported on their own interactions with Funcom, and I don’t see why it would be impossible for those experiences to be different, even drastically so, from case to case.

In fact, it might not be so unlikely to have a sustained conversation with Funcom, if you consider that most people who come to complain here are really upset and don’t feel like trying to follow up. I’ve been following a discussion some of us have been having via direct messages – since people involved aren’t comfortable sharing anonymized conversations with Funcom in a public thread – and the evidence shared there seems to imply that Funcom employees are willing to respond to follow-up questions, as long as those are civil and reasonable.

As for things not adding up, I think you’re referring to those few who insist that “Funcom always does this or that”, and present their own ideas as facts. That’s something we can agree is counterproductive, but I’m not very optimistic about changing those people’s minds :wink:

Sounds interesting. I’ve never heard of that. Maybe that’s what they’re talking about. Or maybe Funcom wrote something new for their admins to use. That’s the trouble with guessing, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

The only communication i had with funcom was on the original issue and them asking for more information. And the about a month later saying the issue was resolved and appropriate action taken. Which was apparently decaying my bases and another clan who had nothing to do with the complaint, and then suspended both of our clans. And the clan i had the issue with, their base is still there.

I am sorry to hear that some of you may have received a suspension and do not understand why. Please know that you can request information about any action taken by creating a support ticket through Zendesk, our ticketing system:

Funcom Zendesk Help

3 Likes

I’m not guessing. If you want to see how FC operates, spend some time in the Modding Discord and the Admin United Discord. There’s also the regular CE discord, but I haven’t joined that one. Jimbo can probably tell you more on that one.

I have and wanting for some type of answer.

No offense, but yes, you are. Neither you, nor I, nor @helium3 have seen the communication @Apple1 says they’ve had with Funcom, so there’s no way for us to know what this Funcom employee in question allegedly said.

Sure, I understand that there are Discord servers where Funcom employees talk to the rest of us, but I would be very surprised to find out that they were obliged to share everything there, making it impossible for Funcom official server admins to have a tool you haven’t heard of :man_shrugging:

At any rate, I think I’ll stop here. I don’t think it’s productive to keep trying to convince you that you might have been needlessly confrontational. If what I’ve written so far doesn’t make you reexamine that, nothing else I could say would help anyone.

2 Likes

I seriously doubt anything like this is being used. That indeed is a piece of speculation with no basis whatsoever. At least my last go at such a thing had some math behind it. :wink:

Hopefully, and I hope this gets picked up by the @community as well, they will include in the new explanation @Mayra mentioned they’re working on, a basic list of the procedure steps they take when handling a report - as this seems to be just as important to people as the rules themselves judging by the amount of text it’s generated and the many many accusations of players using reports as a weapon and/or admin being complicit.

Just something very basic is all and would be greatly appreciated! Like maybe:

1. We get the tickets from variable_one,
  2. They are distributed to variable_two,
  3. Each variable_two is responsible for X (number of servers? locations? randon FIFO? etc.)
  4. They use only the game or some unnamable proprietary tools to (visually?) investigate (or not),
  5. They consider other possible violations A, B, C and etc. for each case during the examination,
  6. Do they independently check player builds without a report and how that’s carried out if so,
  7. There is or isn’t an official policy sheet they go by when deciding what actions to take1,
  8. The approximate turnaround time from complaint to admin action,
  9. The proposed action is finalized by the admin, some group, no one else.
  10. etc. what happens next, are there quotas, are these people volunteers, are there spot-checks of admin actions, and so on…

1 Can we see it or some customer friendly version of it, if such a thing exists?

And perhaps the most important bit to a lot of folks here, why they feel it’s appropriate to ban people instead of just removing the structures. Is it time constraints, they feel people building in some or all of these ways are cheaters and not to be tolerated? Whatever it is, please let us know either here or in the new dox being created. No other company does this to my (our?)knowledge and many people here who have never been banned, have expressed an extreme aversion to the practice just based on ethics and so forth.