Battle pass feedback

You’re right. But it makes sense to separate those numbers because, as we’ve seen multiple times, the quality of the product varies between platforms. Console versions seem to suffer from bugs that don’t exist, or are very rare, on PC.

The console has pooped the bed for most of its lifetime. Reviews on that I feel are not relevant because they are massively negative because the game has pooped the bed for them for years. It would just be a bunch of white noise.

If performance on console was as good as PC then yes it would be relevant.

I wouldn’t call the PS and Xbox #'s as “white noise”. While I haven’t seen numbers of console vs PC, the reactions from FC staff about console numbers suggests they don’t view them as insignificant and in fact I do remember a time when they stated consoles #'s surpassed PC as far as active players…or are you just talking about the BP #'s…which you have a point there but the console patches did give us a more stable means to enjoy 3.0 so I think the numbers can be reviewed.

I mean white noise as far as evaluating battle pass and bazaar.

Dude above was trying to use Mixed reviews from steam as some kind of proof that the majority of people hate battle passes and bazaars which is why I replied.

1 Like

Just checking, man…I know you didn’t mean it in a bad way.

1 Like

The battle pass felt way too long with 60 levels. And had a lot of padding items (colored wall torches, but no colored standing torches?) I felt ‘done’ by the time I hit level 30. Even that I was binging console commands to get past the chore of it.

On top of things that are very nearly impossible to do popping up (Legendary Tool, Defeat Stormwracked from the event that never triggered).

3 Likes

Bindings of the Dead counts as a Legendary Tool.
So at least there is that.

As for bosses, while it doesn’t complete an event, any gribbly can be spawned.

1 Like

Finding out that Bindings of the Dead being the only legendary tool you can craft was intensely annoying as I didn’t know that the first 2 times it pulled up.

Bugged events were incredibly annoying, as are no map markers for them.

2 Likes

Not that it matters, but I resolutely eschewed the admin panel for 2 years, because there was enough to discover in this gorgeous game that I didn’t care.

I think the powers that be might be advised that inducing (and indulging) this “exploit” impulse is very much against the spirit of discovery, and the freedom already available through Conan Exiles.

It’s incontrovertible that something has caused lots of people to view the game negatively. It’s a fair guess, but of course ultimately only a guess, that the change to the monetization scheme has something to do with this. Could also be the plethora of bugs plaguing the recent release but those really are par for the course for CE, so I doubt it. It’d be silly to ignore it though, new buyers will often be turned off by ‘mixed’ reviews.

1 Like

This one thinks if the powers that be close up this included use of integrated options they can cluck right on off.
The pass is already a slog with meager reward.

Events sometimes have spawning issues in Single Player.
The stability on some platforms reminds this one of the first efforts of carnival unicyclist with their first spinning plates.
This is not even touching the failure to refresh the multiplier that is making the rounds.
These issues are more than reason enough that anyone impacted by them should feel zero shame in using any available option, as the proceeding the way the game is intended becomes an exercise in futility. Against the clock no less.

If we want to talk about going against the spirit of the game, shall we take a stroll down you are not entitled to loot this gear off one you vanquished?
So long as such blatant assaults on immersion are present, this one sees no reason that anything on the table shouldn’t play.

Apologies. This one is vitriolic in general on the topic.
Not at you in particular.
The salt leaves prickly edges and causes discomfort, like a mineral deposit attempting to egress from the kidneys.

The admin panel is a tool of last resort. But anyone who wants the goodies is in a blind race against time, and the course has unannounced obstacles.
In an ideal situation, the admin panel wouldn’t be as… expedient… nor as desirable an alternative to completion of the task in through the regular course of the game.
The situation is far from ideal.

As far as passes go, if everything were working as intended, it would be fine, for what it is. That it refunds itself and the reroll coupled with accumulating multipliers makes it quite benevolent for a checklist of make work.

2 Likes

Its no doubt that the drop from 78% to 62% was caused by the battle pass and bazaar. However that is not evidence of the majority of people hating battle passes and bazaars, which was the point of my post. It means there is a chunk of people, typically 1 in 5 overall, that hate battle passes and bazaars and will do their best to tank reviews based on that alone.

You are right that some new buyers wont bother reading reviews and just see “mixed review, hard pass”, but if that was something that devs really feared, no game would use battle pass or bazaar because it seems (in my experience) to universally generate the same amount and volume of spew toward it, but they are very very profitable.

I think that’s unnecessarily demonizing people. There have, to my knowledge, been no campaigns to review bomb or otherwise unduly influence things, which is different from what I’ve seen with other games. Nor, for the record, do I encourage or believe such measures are called for.

Whether alienating a good 20% of what is probably some of the more die-hard fans is financially worth it I couldn’t say. One would hope so, otherwise they’d have burned a lot of goodwill for nothing.

2 Likes

I have seen a few people call for review bombing on steam on the twitter page for it. Whether that counts as a campaign - dunno. On release of 3.0 there was a litany of down votes though talking about the battlepass and FOMO.

Is that unnecessarily demonizing people? I don’t feel its demonizing, I feel its stating that water is wet, the sky is blue, and about 20% of the player base reacted by downvoting the game on steam solely on the basis of the battlepass and bazaar and FOMO, and that the game went from 78% positive to I believe 54% positive on release weekend (if I recall correctly). It has since climbed back up to 63% today. Did the other bugs play a role? Sure, but those bugs have been around in some cases since day one when the game was at 78% so… the numbers say otherwise as do the comments left in black and white on the negative reviews on release weekend.

In every single game I’ve been a part of on the game dev side that implemented these features, the numbers were all similar.

Roughly almost half complained that they’d quit forever, and about 8% actually do, while a good chunk of the nearly half that complained they would quit forever participate in the battle pass or store in some fashion based on game telemetry → and that it is a profitable way to develop a game from the publisher / business perspective.

I have a strong feeling that conan is not an outlier and that it will be similar, though it makes people that hate battlepasses feel better to think that because 40-45% of the overall playerbase tends to loudly complain about it, that that means that the company is ignoring them and as you say, ‘alienating’ them.

Once battlepass and bazaar stop being profitable for game publishers, they will adjust. Until then, it seems to be the same loop on repeat from my perspective. If people REALLY hated the concept of battlepass and such, that would reflect in the financials, but the fact remains that this is a standard financial model going on over ten years or so in gaming for a reason. It works. Its successful. It makes target goals in terms of money.

If those numbers are accurately representing the “alienation”, then yeah, I think financially it’s well within tolerable limits, as long as some of the rest keep spending. I suspect they would’ve been ready to lose an even greater percentage. Unfortunately, business experts don’t put any numerical value on how “die-hard fan” a customer is, only how much money they bring in, so from a business perspective, catering for die-hard fans makes no sense.

Whether the negative reviews have a long-term impact on the product’s success remains to be seen. It definitely has some effect on new sales, and there’s only so much money you can leech out of existing customers because there’s a saturation point where a player simply does not need new stuff, or the new stuff stops being different enough from existing content.

It does seem that Funcom has long-term plans for the game, with the Ages and stuff, so at least that implies that they’re not just going for a quick money grab. Time will tell.

Personally, the new model hasn’t driven me away, but it sure isn’t driving me into a spending spree either.

1 Like

By die-hard I was referring to people like myself who have bought everything they put out until now. I am well aware that money talks :sweat_smile:

Hello.

Would you know if the current Battle Pass is going to change with tomorrow’s fix please? I won’t be able to finish it by then.

Suggestion for future Battle Passes:

Please add information on the Battle Pass in game page, to specify its start/end period.

It would help people decide if they want to buy it or not, and keep track of time for those who bought it and have yet to finish it.

1 Like

This thread got necro’d but I just wanted to chime in and say that I’ve never got more than a few levels into any of the battle passes, because PvP does not level it at all.

1 Like