Battle Pass McPuzzlement

Well that certainly changes how effective it is to grind daily compared to playing once or twice per week. For the better, mind. This is why I’ve been reserving judgment on the viability, if not the ‘fun factor’ (most of the tasks are still mindless busywork)

4 Likes

Yesterday I was thralling in NA and they annoyed me so I went on a murder spree and then skinned them. I completed one of the challenges without any intention lol. So far I’ve just been doing them as I regularly play.

1 Like

I’m not sure… I think it depends on how you play.
Imo the BP challenges weren’t really made with endgame or clan play in mind, which is weird considering how easy it is to level on the normal rates.

In any case I have only once actively pursued them in single player admin mode at the beginning that got me to like level 5 then completely stopped looking at it except for when I hear the noise it makes :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m now at level 20 without actively devoting any attention to it or trying to optimize in any way so the last 15 levels on that 20 I gained pretty much by “accident”. Now obviously there were times when I butchered a corpse because I needed it and then the notification popped up so I killed 9 more stuff in the area to complete it.

I don’t know how far that will get me though and how much it’s going to start slowing down

With that being said I was doing a fair amount of farming, unlocking sorcery stuff and currently the only other person in my clan is not playing much so I was doing all the farming and maintenance etc alone… I can totally see how in a bigger clan where you have dedicated farmers this could be an issue

2 Likes

I think you’re right in general. It’s not that you’re missing something, but there might be a way to reconcile what you’re seeing with what Dennis said.

It has to do with how strict you want to be with the concept of “playing normally”. The strictest definition I can think of is the one that you’re using right now: basically don’t even look at the challenges, and if you look, don’t let them influence the way you play. In other words, hope you’ll keep completing random challenges and that this will be enough.

On the other hand, if you relax that definition a bit and let the challenges guide you through different parts of your normal gameplay, then you’ll make progress, although I can’t be certain you’ll get all 60 BP levels in time.

To me, personally, it seems like what Dennis said was a bit of an exaggeration, perhaps, but not an outright falsehood.

4 Likes

This is how I pretty much have taken to it. If I have a challenge to kill say 10 bears. And I happen to be in an area with bears. Why not do the challenge?

I was in a discussion the other day about the collect 10 stone challenge. People were literally making the claims they wouldn’t do that on principle. That they don’t simply mine stone normally.

Don’t mine stone? Where the hell do they get the 10k bricks it normally takes to build a decent sized building? I know we’re supposed to give the benefit of the doubt to people’s different playstyles and all that. But some of the claims that have been going around are making that really really difficult.

2 Likes

I mean, to be fair, my normal playstyle does not include crafting a new tool every day or two, or completing the Well of Skelos every day or two, or killing the giant imp pretty much ever :wink:

I could go on, but I understand your point, and you understand mine. I think @TeleTesselator is completely right when he says that it’s extremely unlikely to get the BP done if you don’t let the challenges influence your playstyle in any way whatsoever, but I also think that the BP challenges were specifically designed to motivate players to play the game more instead of just refreshing.

PS: As always, please bear in mind that my opinion doesn’t cover PVP servers, since I don’t play on PVP servers.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. I was just a bit surprised at how much the challenges will have to influence the playstyle of players across the board - level 1 to those who have been at 60 for a long time. Then trying to match that up with live stream, I thought I must be doing something wrong - so tried to get feedback… But guess they’re busy working. Probably on Dune. ~=hides=~ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You don’t cut down trees or mine stone anymore? Lolwhat

1 Like

I do. But not necessarily when the challenge comes up. I go get ore when I need it. When I need, it’s not in the list of challenges. When it’s in the list I don’t need it. That condition happens a lot. So far in the past two days of “playing normally” no challenges were achieved. I almost got one… 3 of 10 crocks killed. Nope, I have to stop what I’m doing all together, look at the challenges, see if they’re at all relevant, reroll if not, then set out on a dedicated mission to achieve one or more.

That would be fine except for two things:

1. That isn’t what was said. And I defended with the words that were spoken when people said it would be mind numbingly droll busy work.
  2. The challenges are the same as I did yesterday - more or less. So mind numbingly droll and uninteresting?

Dang it… It’s not hard to make little activities fun, I know it’s not. So, anyway… Not the end of the world but disappointing enough to mention - IMO.

Anyway, I’m just repeating myself at this point. I said what I wanted to say so I’m done with this thread. You guys can of course continue to debate the issue or whatever you’re into…

1 Like

Exactly what I said some days ago in another thread. Its impossible to do the bp without focusing on it. I just reached level 10 now by doing some of the quests and I already crafted at least 10 armor pieces, killed 100 crocs, prayed 3 times at teliths island, slaugthered around 30 hyenas, stole 20 feathers from vultures an farmed unnecessary stone, fiber, yellow lotus, wood and iron.

The quests are okish in general but you get tired of them pretty fast because you do things you do not really need to do in order to play. You just grind them because you want to complete the bp. I could do them in admin mode but that does defeat the purpose in my eyes. So I am stuck with quests that do not really match my playstyle just because I am eager to complete the bp.

I have to agree with TeleTesselator here, what was said before in the livestreams isn´t matching with what we finally got. But I kinda knew this beforehand. Battlepasses are not meant to enrich your personal gameplay. They are made so you stick to the game and play more then you usually would.

I personally do not see myself doing the bp more then a couple of times before I quit. Getting 5 times a day the same quests leads me to borredom very fast. I play games to have fun and to let my imagination run wild, not to grind battlepasses.

I’m not sure we’re doing the same battlepass. I’ve been doing it roughly every second day and I’m level 17 in it. Yes, I take the extra steps but it’s really not waaa waaa end of the world that I do the cheer emote at the pagoda of boundless lust while I’m already in the jungle for the lemurian royal armor recipe.

Plan your journeys more accordingly, if they ask you to make a slight detour for a level and a half of xp; why not? Consider it a side quest.

2 Likes

Um, no. Not as a part of my daily routine I don’t. When I have a new project I wanna build, I go farm up the mats I need. Or if I’m really bored of everything else in Conan Exiles, and I’m between books, and there’s nothing good to watch on Netflix, and I’m all out of good booze, then I might go add some surplus wood and stone to my storage chests. Neither of these occurrences happens often.

I also don’t craft a new tool every day or two. Or complete the Well of Skelos dungeon. Or fight the King Imp, or the White Tiger (if I need a skeleton key, there are easier bosses), or go pick on birds or gorillas.

I’m not saying these challenges are bad. I’m just saying that it’s not exactly something you can expect to complete by just playing normally without deviating from your routine.

For a guy like me, that’s great, because my routine isn’t exactly that fun. In fact, I get bored after a while, and it’s nice to have something to guide my play and give me a goal to strive for. But that’s just me.

3 Likes

I’m the one who made the original assertion, and I’m certain you knew what I meant. But yet you again take it to extreme lengths of absurdity.

I’m not in prison, therefore I won’t break rocks. It’s insulting, uninspiring and frankly, like bad rhetorical devices, cheap.

3 Likes

It’s literally a part of the core gameplay though…

Being a slave to breaking rocks is part of the gameplay? Conan wouldn’t stand for such foolishness.

1 Like

Conan doesn’t need to upgrade his wall to T3 to prevent rockslide from kicking it down again. I do.

2 Likes

You chose to live there. You chose to defend it. You chose to grind for it rather than steal. Etc. Get it?

1 Like

Yes, I choose to play the game like a normal person. I’d recommend it, it’s actually pretty fun.

1 Like

This again? One person imposing normalcy over another hasn’t exactly worked out for our society, has it? Just allow me to play like I want, and again, stop being so literal. I will gather stone all day, but no one will make me break rocks. Simple, isn’t it?

2 Likes

I got 4 levels today, good chunk doing IoS vault (Kill a world boss and complete a vault) for 70 exps (x10) x 2 = 1,400 exps.

Visited two Leyshrines, killed a mini-boss (at the Leyshrine), harvested 10 trees (x2), killed 10 Stygian invaders (on the way and return from the Leyshrine), harvested 30 berries (x2), made a tool, made an armor. Do not recall each exp or bonus for each.

I overall did 8 (x10 bonus multipliers) which would be rare since started with 3 replacements. Meaning I did all the bonuses (first time ever).

I think overall played less than 2 hours since was offline by 7 PM and would have started roughly at 5:15 PM. I also did my usual inventory management, crafting (food and other things) as well. I was a bit lucky with the BP achievements today which were things that worked well to my play style of the day. All on the official server.

Do a few challenges that fit your play style and not worry about doing too much of it. I am concentrating on it at times and other times I am not. I know this month, do not have much play time so on the past 2 weekends, spent a bit more time than normal to reach a comfortable level. (At level 19.9) With roughly 80 days left, only need to do 40 levels to complete the entire BP. Figure 3.5 levels a week going forward, if I do more, great. Otherwise, the final 2 weeks, if I am behind, I will do a bit of grind to catch up. I mostly do easy ones anyway, so I can get 1 level in day (30 minutes usually). Note only did the challenges 5 of the 10 days so far.

2 Likes