Bazaar Prices are FINE! Im gonna gladly buy few skins to support game dev - You don't have to buy all at once!

Yep, i personally own every dlc (not siptah, not yet, and maybe never, if i didnt see changes i want)…
and you know what lads, they cost me around 5-6 usd each (sales)…
thats how you make MONEY, make price fair, and people bother to buy even dull thing like Riddle of steel dlc, just because they want throne and pool decoration only…

It’s only expensive if you personally can’t afford it. Others like myself can afford it. That point makes the entire issue subjective. Wanna be cheap or can’t afford it then don’t buy it. Simple.

Let me introduce you to a novel concept: words can mean different things depending on the context in which they’re used and how they’re used.

For example, if I someone offered a loaf of bread that was priced at $1000 (USD), most people would agree call it “expensive” – even those who could afford it – because $1000 is more than most people can afford for something like a loaf of bread.

Going back to BLB, and in-game purchases in general, there’s a reason that the term “whale” is being used widely in the industry. It’s a term older than game dev industry and in-game purchases. It comes from sales, and denotes a sales prospect that is much larger than the usual target, i.e. larger than the majority.

Setting the prices for your in-game store to focus on the whales is not a practice Funcom invented, either. Other companies do it, too.

The problem some of us have with this change is that by setting the prices so high that only the whales can afford to collect everything, Funcom is basically deciding to move away from the mutual support relationship they had with those of us whose playstyle was to buy all DLCs: we supported them financially, and they supported our playstyle. Now Funcom is pivoting with their monetization, and we’re feeling left out.

All of this is stuff many of us have said here many times, and you could’ve easily read it before coming up with a dismissive, belittling reply like this:

And you’re not even the first to post a reply like that, so I honestly can’t figure out what you thought you were contributing to this discussion at all.

4 Likes

The point is you can buy everything in the store for around $40 and it unlocks for all of your characters. That I would call cheap. Now if you can’t afford that then how can you defend buying the game itself? The point is complaining about the price of things makes the complainer look bad. Either buy it or don’t as you’re not forced to buy anything. Ten Cent sets the prices just like they for every other game they own. So complaining here doesn’t change anything. As for asking about why I said don’t buy if you’re cheap or can’t afford it is because some have the problem of impulsively buying things they can’t afford then complain after the fact. Thats the whole loot box issue. Impulsive purchases due to addiction. Do you have every DLC? If you say yes that’s addiction. Do you have the impulse to buy every item in the shop? Addiction! The problem is companies aren’t going to change predatory practices for anybody so you have to learn self control. If I can control myself so can they.

Yes. And I’m sure I could drop a $100 or even $1000 on a loaf of bread. Once. Every 2 or 3 days, though? Not so much.

Similarly, “everything in the store for $40” will get me 23 recipes and 3 emotes, and that’s supposed to change in less than 14 hours. Maybe dropping $40 on 25 new virtual things every few days is sustainable for you, but it ain’t for a lot of people.

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe because I bought the game once instead of every few days? Maybe because the game came with a boatload of content instead of 25 cosmetic add-ons? Maybe because you’re comparing apples to elephants? How could I ever defend buying the game itself? :roll_eyes:

You could’ve asked me how come I bought all the DLCs but I’m suddenly complaining about BLB prices. That, at least, would’ve made some sense. The answer to that would have been that I spent $130 on the DLCs over 4 years – an average of $32.5 a year – and each of those DLCs had more than 50 (closer to 100) new things for me to use.

That was sustainable for me, but not for Funcom. Not anymore, at least. The disparity between those two extremes indicates that there might be a middle-of-the-road solution somewhere. Or some solution, at any rate, but I’ll get to that later.

Now, that is truly subjective. It might “look bad” to you, but that says more about you than about me. It ain’t my problem if you like being judgmental without even bothering to understand other people’s complaints. That’s entirely on you.

Quick, someone go update the DSM-5, ASAP! We have a new definition of addiction here!

Let me ask you something: have you ever had to struggle with an actual addiction yourself? My guess is that you haven’t, because you have no freaking clue what you’re talking about.

Take it from someone who beat an actual addiction: a little less arrogance would be appreciated.

No, I don’t. There are 2 or 3 offerings in the BLB currently that I would have bought if they were priced more reasonably. I can afford them, I just don’t want to affirm their pricing by adding to their sales.

So don’t talk down to me about addiction, when you can’t even be bothered to try to understand my complaints.

Ah, yes, if I ever needed any proof that you never had to struggle with an addiction, this is it.

5 Likes

I can afford it.

It’s still expensive.

The inability to recognize the dynamics of value v.s. price and instead spending money “because you can afford it” displays a disturbing lack of financial acumen. This is how people get themselves into massive credit card debt. In other words, you are the target for shady marketing tactics.

5 Likes

Value, like morality, is subjective to each individual.

What one person considers a ripoff another considers fine and another may even consider a deal.
When one tries to jump on another for a difference in value-opinion, that counter-opinion should be considered as exactly that - just another opinion.

1 Like

Uh…no that isn’t how that works.

Lamborghini Veneno Roadster – $8.3 million

This is expensive no matter how much money you have. It’s just some fools have enough that spending that kind of money doesn’t mean anything to them. Doesn’t mean it’s not expensive or overpriced.

Uh no…that was the first selection of items. They rotate. And entire month worth of items is more like $70 or more.

2 Likes

Well i wouldn’t doubt that happening.
I just found out that tencent purchased into this which makes loads of sense now.
As far as I’m concerned they can delete everything on this game of mine, I’ll never spend another dime as long as tencents any part of it.

1 Like

If tencent is apart of FC now, walk away like me.
Tencent turns everything to trash.
Major chinese company that milks everyone for $$$ for garbage, just like almost everything else you buy from china.
Garbage that breaks.
Just look at the state of the game after this update, game was so broken on console.
I know I’m not the only one that said this is a conan game, why do i send a slave to do all the fighting?
So FC says lets nerf thralls and your character still dies super fast.
Pretty sure lots of us wanted to be actually conaning stuff.
I tested after this update.
Full heavy armor, full armor stat attributes and you still get absolutely smashed.
Not to mention i have shield expert to block unblockable attacks at increased stamina cost, yet while blocking i still get hit through shield.
But lets make cash grabs for tencent instead of focusing on quality updates and a more reasonable form of support monetarily.

1 Like

I dislike that it has been 4 + years of poisonous updates for console with no signs of change or improvements made to the testing that leads to players quitting. 4 + years of the same thing. Nothing learned.

Now fc is asking console players to pay for skins in a game with problems they ignore. Good Luck FC.

1 Like

My understanding is that this is still the intention and prices could adjust if they get in the way of that. Also I wouldn’t rule out bundled content later (but I wouldn’t entirely count on it either). There could be an element of early adopter pricing that’s at work here as well. It’s very easy to imagine that since the assets on the items are baked into the game, as the initial sales wane, bundles of “sorcerous deco” and stuff could become available. So if its too much for some, I would keep my eye on it and check back later. These items aren’t in the same vein as prior limited release items since those were “free” provided we buy the game at launch, watched twitch streams, etc. Those were rewards for supporting the game thru unique means and as such got unique rewards. A store on the other hand suggests that the items want to be sold repeatedly, and as they stop selling, certain price reductions/deals would make more sense.

1 Like

You may want to research gaming addiction it’s a real issue just like gambling addiction.

Also not Funcom but Ten Cent

I don’t think you have any inside knowledge on the inner financial workings of Funcom. Tencent is tossed around here like the boogeyman.

3 Likes

Ten Cent has the controlling stake in Funcom and they are the reason for Battle Pass and the store. There’s even videos on youtube comparing CE to other games from other developers TC has bought. TC’s fingerprint is all over Funcom now.

Let me correct this

They are the reason Funcom is looking closer at the bottom line.

10c probably promoted the idea of BP and store but I sincerely doubt they wanted that much micromanaging control. Looking at other 10c acquisitions, they are similar but different in their BP and storefronts.

The only thing that I’m really curious about is why the decision to maintain a purchase price for the game? Its not like it was a large revenue maker since Gamepass has it in Xbox and most Steam purchases are done with heavy discounts that are in rotation. Most of the Playstation #'s came from the PS plus free game back in April 2019. All in all, it would make sense to F2P and keep bazaar prices the same and the F2P will justify that painful price point.

1 Like

If there’s one thing I know about the gaming community its that its full of armchair lawyers, economists, game developers, and general experts of everything.

You may want to research it, too, if you think that having bought all of the Conan Exiles DLCs is a sign of gaming addiction, like you claimed.

Not that I have any hopes that you will do anything of the kind, since you insist talking about things you don’t know anything about.

That’s the Internet in general :smiley:

2 Likes

That tells me you don’t know anything about how it works. You undercut any point you may have worth listening to with these statements.