Better way to get Bark?

So looking at the video with the dead trees I got 107 bark from 30 trees. Back at my fort I did about 30 trees and got 86. So it is about 14-20% increase (allowing for RNG) Not as much as I thought it was though.

Hey that’s still good to know, thanks for testing it more thoroughly.
The increase might be even larger with a better pick.

Gathering with my upgraded star metal pick, getting a ton of bark really wasn’t that bad.
But at lower levels I’d still recommend clearing main NPC camps instead.

naa, at lower levels just spend ten mnutes hacking at trees with a pick, you’ll get enough

That’s a long time to whack at trees for a small hand full of bark. I could clear a town in the same amount of time and get several stacks of a ‘lot’ of different resources.

Picking at trees with stone and iron picks is a huge waste of time, not to mention very boring.

Absolutely. NPC killing is still often the fast way particularly at low levels.

Upgrades have an interesting impact on tools too as I normally play at 1.5x harvesting. While testing I put it down to 1x. With Trees doing 30 trees at 1x yielded 86 bark. at 1.5x it yielded 104 bark. This suggests that upgrades don’t scale as much with harvest yield. Which depending on how the upgrades actually work suggests it is possible that high level upgrades may totally eliminate any sort of bonus from dead trees. Further testing will be required to know… but I’m curious.

I’ve noticed the tool upgrades give +1 per tier of the upgrade, but this only applies to the main resource.

For example, a stone pick, I believe, yields 3-4 stone. The first upgrade would increase it to 4-5, second tier to 5-6, and so on. The increase to secondary resources such as bark is much lower, but I haven’t paid a lot of attention to it.

I play with all default settings, so x1 harvesting.

Okay I tested a bit with a steel pick on stone.
Steel Pick: 5-6 stone.
w/ SImple Tool Upgrade: 6-7
w/ Tool Upgrade: 7-8
w/ Advanced Tool Upgrade: 8-9

For bark on trees…
Steel Pick: 0-2 bark
w/ Simple Tool Upgrade: 0-3
w/ Tool Upgrade: 0-4
w/ Advanced Tool Upgrade: 0-5

I could still get 1 bark at a time even with the best upgrade.

Looking at these numbers I’d still have to conclude that picking at trees for bark with a steel pick instead of raiding a town would be absurd.

2 Likes

It depends on the town. right now I have a wheel of pain out by the Black Galleon. So I travel right through the dead trees. There are no thrall camps (well one) between me and the Black Galleon area. It takes me 3 minutes to get 150-200 bark on the way to my thrall wheel. I can get 100 from the trees just outside my camp.

I have one thrall camp near by but it has three mobs and a chest. It is a trek for other camps. So for me right now when I go pick up thralls from the galleon I just get bark (I actually have more than I need right now from these tests.)

At my desert base that I built when I started using Iron I have 6 thrall camps fairly close by and one is bugged where no mobs load when I first log in at that base. So I get 3 chests if I really need stuff that almost always had 60 bark in it. Even with the Thralls it was generally a good haul. However if I used the pick on the trees along the river I could get almost as much bark in the same amount time. So it depended on how bored I was or how many aloe potions and I wanted to use.

It really depends on the resources near by I suppose. If the Thralls are close slaughter them the XP is much better. If on a Server and not 60 for sure slaughter them because on servers you do want to level much faster than I am in my single player game.

Sounds like dead trees are decent source of bark, then. Living ones certainly aren’t; that’s what I tested the steel pick and upgrades on.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

Sorry, could not resist. :rofl:

2 Likes

I think it was the right one!

I find the dead trees in the desert supply a decent amout with pick. Also supply dried wood as added bonus

@Valkyrja I think the reason people think certain trees give more bark is because certain trees let you whack 'em one extra time. So if the shuffle is between wood and bark, you get 5 chances, thus possibly more bark. If the shuffle is between wood, bark and resin then you’re really limiting yourself, even at 6 hits. The Joshua Trees in the desert areas are a fine example of good bark yield for no other reason than one additional whack.

Clear the Galeon to get 150-200 bark.

I don’t know exactly how to describe them, but there are “Palm Tree Lite” ones that, if you use an axe on them, they won’t give you any wood, but might give you vines. These are the ones that are slightly better for bark when you use the pick.

I don’t know exactly how to describe them, but there are “Palm Tree Lite” ones that, if you use an axe on them, they won’t give you any wood, but might give you vines. These are the ones that are slightly better for bark when you use the pick.

Ahh ok thats interesting.

Sickle on dead trees yields the most bark, someone ran the numbers found you don’t get more bark from picks Higher than steal but higher sickle with adv tool upgrade provides the most on dead trees.

Someone lied to you.
Chopped 10 dead trees with an upgraded sickle, 0 bark. 3 dry wood per tree, nothing else.

Have anyone tested different gathering multipliers? Officials servers have x2 gather rates, but may be this simply does not apply to bark yields?

Just tested it with x2. It does apply to bark.
I’m using a steel pick with the 2nd tier Tool Upgrade.

If you look at my earlier posts you’ll see that the max bark I got with this pick and the 2nd upgrade was 4.
Now I get up to 8. The multipliers work.

The multiplier increases how much you get every time you harvest bark, it does not increase the frequency with which bark is harvested, so you’ll have the best results on dead trees in the desert.

1 Like

Unnamed city is your friend. With a steel pick you have 500-600 bark in 20 minutes.

1 Like