Bug: Editing Input inis causes game crash on load in on server

Game mode: Online private
Type of issue: Crash
Server type: PvE
Region: America
Mods?: No
Edition: Steam

Very simple and to the point: Game crashes reliably on login to server. Once this starts happening, it crashes every time until a server restart. What’s really strange however is that verifying integrity fixes the crash–and the only files that are replaced are INI files with the Input key for console changed (specifically: BaseInput and DefaultInput). Yeah, I found it hard to believe too, but it’s 100% reproducible, at least on my end. Using vanilla ini files will never crash. Editing the input key for the console to anything but the default causes crashes.

This might be due to a mismatch between server and client–but since this is the only way to change your console keybind, I don’t think I need to point out why that’s really dumb.

So just to clear up any confusion, you are changing the default console command from ~ and Insert, to something else, and that causes the client to crash?

Well, that’s certainly a new one :stuck_out_tongue: Though why is it necessary to change it (out of curiosity). Are the two options not viable for some reason?

It doesn’t cause the server to crash (happily). It causes the client connecting to crash–over and over. The fact that server restart (sometimes) fixes it is rather odd, and at first I thought it was other reported crashes, but actually the verifying ini files back to default fixes it everytime… so yeah, if I hadn’t experienced it myself, I would never imagine it works that way, but it seems to.

And yeah, I’m either changing the ConsoleKeys to None or commenting them out. For that matter I’m only doing it for the tilde entry, left the rest alone. Either way it just seems like changing the Input inis causes it.

In the end it’s a pretty easy fix (if not editing inis can be considered a fix) I guess, it just is rather bothersome as someone who has muscle memory built up around using ~ to push to talk, so not being able to change the console key is annoying. That being said, if it is 100% reproducible and happens for others as it happens to me, fixing it might get rid of a lot of crashes that people might experience if they change the console keybind that they might be attributing to something more fundamental like mods.

Edit: On second check, actually it seems like it may not be that simple. The crashes ARE solved every time by verifying integrity, but this seems to happen periodically even if I don’t alter ini, so I’m assuming there’s some sort of PAK or file issue. For what it’s worth I never get the dreaded “PAK file error” thing, but verifying always fixes, so there’s something going on in there I guess. I just assumed it was inis because every time it replaces 2 files & there’s 2 input files, but I suppose it could be anything that’s being changed on runtime by the game. Oh well, not sure what more I can do to dig into it, I guess I’ll call that a wrap and hope it’s someday figured out.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.