Building issues after test live patch 8/24/18 Triangles no longer support upper structures

Logging in after the patch today I saw that my circular turret building was half destroyed. I build using a 6 triangle center, then 6 triangles and 6 squares for the second ring. This was supported by columns up from the foundations on the ground. I am not able to replace the pieces that disappeared. I am a sad panda :frowning:

I had not used any of the angle support beams.

This is a big issue if it remains… I also build circular towers the same way and wouldn’t want them to be destroyed when the patch goes live.

Sadly, I cannot test myself… so cannot confirm it. I’m bumping in the hopes that someone else can confirm this and so it gets more visibility.

Can you provide a screen shot? Are the foundations at the base the same as the rest of the tower as you go up?

This was a 2 story round turret with a thatch cone roof.

Are the pillars standing over matching pieces? From the screenshot is looks like you have some of them attached to square foundations below, that are supporting a triangle foundation above… i.e. the pattern of pieces of the lower floor is the same as the tower above?

Can you show a screenshot of the repair hammer popup showing the stability on the pillars and a close up of where they are attached below and above? If it is not too much bother ofc.

From my personal experience, support only transfers when the pillar is attached or placed in the right “sockets” on the piece below… and not any other position, even if they are in proper contact and/or looks like it should work.

This is a long standing issue… I had the same problem with stairs that let you attach a pillar to their edges/extremes and that attaches to the foundation edge below, but it only works (as in, transfers support) until server restart.

I reported it a long time ago in other thread [1] but seems it is either intended or not important enough.

[1] -> [BUG?] Pillars on foundation junctions built to support stairs seem to not be transferring stability upwards

1 Like

Here is the image where I drew in where the column was on the square foundation. It was holding up the square ceiling piece and 2 triangles, and walls etc. I cannot now replace these pieces.Turret2

I reported this after the first pet patch

This also went live here is what i reported on the live server patch of 13 aug.

To me it seems as if the game does not register anymore that there is a foundation underneath the pillar if you build the pillar from the wedge down to the foundation. It’s as if the pillar does not rest in the normal pillar spot on a foundation that it wont get the correct stability…

This happened to me on the release of the MOAP. When I logged in, one of my archer towers full of Conchakas blew into a billion flower petals in the sky. On the plus side, it got an upgrade of Central Air Conditioning.

I don’t mind paying a penalty for building outside of tolerances. It’s just that when it changes from patch to patch, sometimes regressing, that can cause the most havoc. I build like this because it’s important to have skin in the game, and instead of getting mad I write poems about it. Other people channel their feelings in different directions. I would hope we might achieve a level of consistency with the building/stability system, and stay there.

Just like when you attempt to put a pillar through a doorframe using the stairs convention, the server will prune it on next login. Rebuilding from the ground up may correct your tower, but possibly only until the next server restart. As both Leeux and Blyker say, your pillaring does not appear to connect to proper sockets.

2 Likes

If I am interpreting the purple lines on his second image correctly, it appears as though he had a square ceiling pillared to a square foundation. Is that not correct?
I know a couple of the other pillars are problematic, but the one that collapsed seems like it should have worked fine.

I’ve had many issues with various structural pieces (stairs, wedges, ceilings) self-demolishing on log-in. So I’d benefit from understanding my error better.

(Do you really write poems about it? Something tells me they would be a real hoot. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

1 Like

You are absolutely right on to ask this and point it out. The problem arises when your ground floor is a square grid, then you bust out something circular on top of it. As you know, for most pillars to work correctly on squares they must be snapped to the center. And yes, it’s baffling that the one conforming section should blow apart – as you put it by the square foundation below, nothing should go wrong. That’s kind of what I mean about the consistency; any novice or even moderately-observant player would not understand the feedback of this section deleting itself.

I did write a poem about it. After the tower blew apart, I wanted to rescue one of my surviving dancers. So I deleted a solitary fence piece, and every Conchaka in the area fell to her death. :sob:

3 Likes

You are now in league with Nero! :rofl:

1 Like

If you look at the “ground” floor of his tower that crumpled it would need 3 wedges to complete the circle. Without those three wedges the walls that held up the floor above were gone as well causing the top floor to collapse.

When they created the half wooden pillars to attach to a wall, there was an exploitable issue with them. The fix, sadly, was to Nerf support from pillars that were not attached to the center of a building part.

What I have found (I have 7 round towers on square bases) is that it will work, but the stability falls off quickly once you go above 4 wall panels. The end result is that only one is stable (it is only 3 high) and i had to use Pythagoras Beams to provide additional support to allow the others to stand. In one case, i had to add pillars for internal support in addition to the beams in the upper portions of the tower to get the roof to work.

@Cattibria I thought the half wooden pillars were totally cosmetic now, they dont give any stability.

If you look at my pictures you will see that i had pillars under every piece of ceiling to start my tower. All those pillars rest on square foundations. Still my tower collapsed.
But and that is the issue that we have with this, if you place them down they show 100% stability. Then after a patch they dont have enough stability. But if you place the same construction back again its 100% stability. It is not consistent.

This is correct. When they were first introduced, they offered stability. When they changed this it affected the stability of pillars that are built down to a square foundation that are offset and not on the center of the foundation.

I worked with one of the developers when they changed the wood half pillars to decorative only to figure out what was going on with my towers. We found an exploitable issue that he was able to correct before they pushed the test build to live.

What I have found since then has been troubling at best.

The offset pillars offer very little support. The ones sitting square on the foundation center also offer support, but at a reduced rate, 75% at best. This drops quickly as you build up, about 30% per level, off of a square base. The resulting stability issues are magnified in this type of building. I have been experimenting to see if there is a way around this issue with out using a mod.

All of my towers are taller than this so I had no choice but to use Pythagoras to get them as tall as I did. It is possible to build very tall structures in the vanilla game.

This tower and its twin on the other side are both vanilla. They are the only towers I have that are completely vanilla since they are not built on the square foundation grid base I used in the rest of my base.

1 Like

I think that we are not talking about the same thing. What i am talking about is this:

If you read this post you see that the stability after the patch of the pillar underneath the wedge was 20%, but when i removed the pillar and put it back it was 100%. The same pillar cannot be 20% and 100% at the same time.

It is possible that they fixed the issue with the pillars that occurred when they nerfed the wooden half columns and it is not listed. The original pillar has the old values and the new one has the correct values.

I think the stability gets recalculated at server reset then his structure falls

that’s a really cool build