Can we define "Banned"?

The map is big enough for 40 slot servers, even if they are 40/40 all day long. I have seen server with 70/70 pop with massive fortresses and space is the one thing that was plenty enough for everyone.

The real problem is not that people build big, the problem is that Funcom can not figure out how to make buildingpieces, decorations, thralls and lights less impactfull in regards to server performance.

I said this several times now but you do not need to build anything on a server to see and feel that the game is not running smoothly from the get go. So yes, ofc every building on top of a laggy server makes it even more laggy. The players are simply just pay the price for Funcom´s inability to make servers perform approb.

That players get banned on official servers is 95% of the time Funcoms fault. When they would do their job right right from the beginning, we would not have to sit here discussing players getting banned on official server for simply building and decorating a base. We all know very well that even small bases can make a server lag if there is enough decorations, lightning etc. involved.

I still stand my ground, and I will always stand it, no matter what certain people in this forum say, that Funcom is blaming the player for something that they do not have created. There are too much factors in the game that people have no control over.

The map and the official servers aren’t meant for 40 people though…
They’re meant for several hundred… it isn’t always the same 40 people online.

You’re jumping to conclusions… I never said anything about lag, neither did Funcom aside from extreme cases. The guidelines only state that if your base is causing significant performance issues.

I am fairly certain that while most people automatically assume that it must be because of lag… quite the opposite is true and it’s very rare that a base gets demolished for that reason.

It’s about real-estate way more than it’s about performance… they simply don’t want you taking up physical space that another player could potentially use, most of their rules send this message at least.
Else why would they ban bridges and walls?.. those are 2 of the least performance-intense builds you could ever build… however they generate land-claim away from your base and needlessly extend the area you’re occupying… preventing others from building there.

And while you might argue that “Well, my server has more than enough space, and nobody wants to build there”… It’s not about that… it’s mostly about the principle… It’s a blanket rule that applies to ALL servers and when people act in a greedy way they just filter them out from official servers whether there was enough free space around or not in that individual case. At least that’s how I see it based on their rules and their actions :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah, but performance is something we can complain about to say how it’s all dreadfully unfair. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, though, this is going in the same old circles again, arguing about whether the rules are “fair”, and who’s to blame for performance, and the tired old faux-incredulity about how a game whose motto is “survive, build, dominate” doesn’t let you build whatever you want on its official servers. The only thing missing is someone’s misguided suggestion to implement building limits in the game.

I wonder if this kind of discussion is what @DeaconElie envisioned for this topic? :smiley:

1 Like

Wanted? No I believe Deacon is trying to put a request that enforcement actions need to be more detailed in explanation because one cannot expect something to get better without explaining what is wrong.
Now I imagine Deacon knows this is the inevitable outcome of this topic because most of us have tried and its always the same devolving discussion that derails it.

2 Likes

Agree :100:

What do you expect from “public” servers? The servers are free to use, which means discount servers to keep costs down.

No, not really.

Do we really? The public server I’m on you’d be hard pressed to convince me of that. If it was true more people would build with that consideration. Or maybe PVE servers are full of inconsiderate people.

Ya, and I can stamp my foot, stick my bottom lip out, and say the earth is flat. Doesn’t make me right.

Honestly no. I just want the funcom folks to rethink their procedures for banning people. Pretty much like you said. I want to avoid this sort of animosity by simply First giving a warning, then an explanation for the time out/ban. I’m just thinking of how many people got the mystery can’t log in and just moved on.

:100:

Yes I expect that. Don’t want to, but you know I will pull this thread over.

3 Likes

It’s why I am clear in my comments: suspended vs. banned.

I’ll come back to this when I’m done work for the day.

1 Like

Understandable, but sometimes, it just stays as an impression.
I believe what he said about spending 1000 or even 10000 hours was just a figure of speech, not the actual time he spent on it. :thinking:

The guy could also have a 10x10 base, embellished with the rarest weapons of the game he grinded just for the decor, hence the thousands of hours spent on his build. :couch_and_lamp:

In my case, I can spend an entire day just to choose which DLC I want to use… I build 3 fondations, unbuild, build, unbuild… destroy everything in the end, and try again the next day. It’s all part of the fun, but for that reason, the time spent on a build does not define the type of building you end up with, it all depends on your way of playing. :melting_face:

Question: what happens when you are suspended or banned? Do you get a pop up window to tell you you are suspended when you try to enter the server? Or is it more like an error message? Or no message at all and it pulls you back to the list of servers directly?
I hear a lot of what Funcom could say to the players, but what do they say?

If you’re suspended it gives the time when it will come back, if its a ban it says that. It also says whether it was for exploit/hacking, blocking resources/content, or for excessive landclaim. It doesn’t go into minute detail, but you do get a general idea of what you were hit for.

2 Likes

Or sometimes it just says “Failed to retrieve suspension information” :wink:

3 Likes

Have you ever been banned? Or are there different messages on different gaming platforms?

@CodeMage is correct or at least this is what i see when i try to log with my main account :joy:

This would have been good but also in the worst case scenario for ‘Funcom’ WHEN they do give you a ban in their desperation to force everyone off of ‘their’ servers, there could also be an option to transfer your character to a private server.

The way the threads sound that is what they got.

Some people do get a message that @Taemien described. I’ve seen more than one thread about bans that included a message like that.

2 Likes

Thank you very much

Oh :woozy_face:
Thank you

This one once had a crossbow.
The admin of a server this one played on had spawned it and given it as a prize for an event they hosted.
That server closed (as things tend to over a long enough time).
Crossbows can no longer be spawned on Playstation servers.

What’s the point of this story?
We lose things all the time. The loss of an individual item is not the loss of the ability to play the game.
Being barred from attending the play ground does not prevent one from playing on their own.
We don’t actually own any of the stuff on servers we do not host ourselves. Even that is suspect.

So people are getting informed, but not all the time. All I know about it is what I read here, don’t recall anyone posting about anything other the “can’t retrieve”. Seems what people need is a better copy of the ban/suspension; I just like the term “time out”. Maybe give them the option to send themselves a copy. “to receive an Email copy of this notice please enter your Email”.

These digital copies could be used as examples of violations.

The options on Zendesk already does that.

Never been banned from a game. Forums, quite a few. Discords, couple. But not a released game. All I know about it is what I read here.

I’ve only read the original comment and replying to that one. As a player who regularly gets banned from official servers I can see why some people feel the need to vent there frustration
What funcom fail to understand is that people abuse said ban system
I’ve read the official rules hundreds of times and it’s clear pvp and pve need separate rules.
Most people get done for landclaim but how do we know how big we can build when there’s no set building limit
If you play official pvp you have to break a lot of those rules just to be able to PVP it’s how people have raided and played for years…fobs and battle pyramids are classed as building harassment but as with most survival games these are raiding tactics,
Plus when you get your 3rd ban you get a permanent ban and can no longer use your dlc or bought items…Official servers are full of peoples alternate accounts because it’s well known now you are likely to get banned just for playing the game…
The permanent bans do not stop people from playin,they simply make new accounts and stop spending money on the game

Xbox players do not get the same warning system like pc either … we just hope when we go back to our bases it still there

For PVP players, banning the game doesn’t really matter, but for PVE players, banning the game once is the same as eliminating all previous achievements and not playing the game again.