Can you be banned for something very offensive....? server 1312

Funcom must never get into the habit of banning people for being offensive, nor should you ask them to. This would only open the gates for all sorts of abuse and wasting of admin man-hours. Even worse, it would be censorship. It doesn’t matter if the offence was mild or serious. I would even go so far as to say that there is no such thing as a right to not be offended.
Consider the mess that would result when admins were forced to decide for every case whether the offence is serious enough to be bannable. Conservatives will demand that female characters should be banned from running around naked; immature children will demand that people should be banned for saying “f*ck”; feminists will demand that people should be banned for using female thralls as cooks and male thralls for everything else. In the end we will all get banned if we ever enslave a Darfari.

2 Likes

Blocking game areas is not the same as doing something offensive. Altering the map in a waythat prevents people from actually playing the game is something that should get you the boot.

On the other hand, this mind set of people wanting others banned for something offensive needs to disappear.

3 Likes

They may as well pray to Crom.

2 Likes

It would be easy enough to make the TOU clear so that it conforms to this community’s guidelines. A swastika would not be acceptable here, nor would language glorifying the Columbine shooters, as I’ve seen directed at Coloradans. Thanks to a setting in the Conan Exiles software I can choose whether to read an offensive sign; there’s nothing known in the world that real-time filters hateful 3D designs other than AI trained in steganography. :nerd_face:

This relies on the reporting by individuals, and I have seen with my own eyes the intervention of a staffer a time or two on Officials, and it was glorious. Unlike Crom, the great Titan Dev does indeed answer from time to time. :smile:

No it would not, because any change in the TOU that regards offensive language or structures will always be subjective. The only way that doesn’t happen is if there is a explicit list. But then who decides what goes on that list? And people who find things offensive that aren’t on that list, now we are talking discrimination. In the end, it’s all garbage. This game has a mature rating and does not need babysitters. If someone finds something unpleasant in game, they are fully capable of avoiding it or ignoring it like an adult.

2 Likes

As I was saying, if it’s off-limits here on this Forum it would be off-limits on a server. This covers swastikas, Cyrillic, Chinese characters, or any other known cipher. I’m all for freedom of speech, and I’m totally behind @Critter667’s approach which is just and sage. You may look at a set of gigantic letters built atop a ruin and think they’re pretty, while approximately 1 billion people would be offended by them. Likewise, some symbols of hate are unacceptable among European cultures. In my opinion this removes the subjective nature, and places responsibility on the offender, not the observer.

No one has a responsibility to avoid offending another person. The very nature of being offended by something is subjective, thus removing the subjective nature of a set of rules governing that is impossible. In a perfect world, no one would get a kick out of using hateful symbols. But they do, one can either choose to get upset, which is their goal, or choose to move on and ignore it. I stand by my assertion that CE is a mature rated game and if you’re online in the game you should be adult enough to ignore or avoid something that bothers you.

1 Like

Well it’s really a matter of degree and intent, isn’t it? It’s one thing to hear someone cuss because they just screwed up and died, but it’s another to hear someone spouting a string of rhetoric from one of the many different hate groups that exist. So where do you draw the line between free speech and creating an enjoyable in game environment for the community as a whole?

Just do a google search on real buildings shaped like swastica.

Seriously, some people find the cross offensive, due to its turbulent history… in the end it’s just a shape.
Only way a shape can hold ‘power’ is if we give it.

1 Like

holly fckin shiiiiiit

1 Like

No, disciplinary action should not, ever be taken over the shape of a building in game. There is no griefing or spamming in chat.

This is nothing more than a case of “I don’t like his building! Take it down!”

Don’t like it, don’t look at it.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.