Castle walls - seeking advice

Hey while the keen builders are here, does anyone mind if I ask another question that’s been bugging me for ages?

Is it possible to build a round structure on top of a square one? Like a square base with a round tower on top? My brain can’t see a way to do it with the way pieces snap, but spatial reasoning is not my strong suit

I can’t speak for the advanced builders… my skills are okay, but not as advanced as many other content creators. I’ve tried building a round tower on top of a square foundation, but found the support pieces constant trying to interfere. What I ended up doing was building the tower and then, with the help of @Multigun mod Steam Workshop::Less Building Placement Restrictions - v7.4.2 I was able to build a square foundation “intersecting” the round tower to give the illusion that the tower was on the foundation first (the pieces would clip into the tower edges).

But I didn’t like how it turned out, so I don’t do that in my other builds. Maybe someone else has better advice, but that’s as much as I can offer.

1 Like

Ah damn, I’m on PS. Thanks anyway.

@Marcospt thanks so much mate that looks like it works! I still have a lot to learn about the building system even after all these years, because I mostly build small camouflaged caches in rocks and stuff. I still don’t fully understand stability. Things seem to stay up with less than 100 stability, but not forever? The lower stability bits decay first is that right?

1 Like

I just thought it would look cool to have a big flat block made of foundations and ramp pieces sloping up, and then a wheel of pain in a round tower on top of it. Maybe it’ll be hideous. I’ll have to try in single player some time coz I’m in a war at the moment and can’t be building frivolous things!

1 Like

Not directly, it doesn’t change a piece’s HP when they have lower stability. But obviously if you use a hammer to work out which things are load bearing you can cause massive damage with fewer bombs…

Yeah I know :neutral_face: I wish there were a few more ramp pieces, like inverted corners etc.

Edit: what I was talking about with decay is I’ve noticed I can sometimes get a piece to snap when it says there’s not enough stability by surrounding it, but often I come back in a day or two and that piece is just gone.

1 Like

Technically yes but it functionally sucks… @Marcospt showed you how. I hate it because it’s very limited. If I know I want rounded sections in a build I use layers of wedge foundations in the base foundation floor plan to allow it to happen.

Another option you got in round on square foundations is if you build in a cave, you build the rounded part from the ceiling down. In essence, you build a round ceiling base down to your square base foundation. A bit more function.

1 Like

I like the design of the castle that you are showing me and I’m trying and I see that things are looking good for me in learning. :smile:

can I add more length on the front side, back side, left side and right side so I can add a gate and make it bigger too ?

It all depends how big the round (they are always 12-sided) towers are. The walls always need a mantle of triangles. You can make the rectangles in the middle as big as you like, you can make a grid or a building with tower in the middle.

4 Likes

What a honor @Muelee!!!
Thank you for coming in aid to my dear friend. He grows great passion about the game and he try a lot on the building aspect.
Thank you for honoring him with your presence, really :blush:.

This unworthy person makes his kotau in front of the mighty stelagel, bathing in the kind words that this master of the sweet tongue provides to the insignificant scholar, that is me.

1 Like

Done this trick I like it creativity.
Sadly a pillar not snapped in the middle of a foundation breaks eventually :confused:

Its better to always snap a pillar to the ground, this can be done by using ceiling instead of foundations.

You can build round (without tricks) on top of a triangular base and also on top of a parallelogram. You can also make a platform that is square-ish where two sides are bit jagged. And finally you can use a partially unfilled perfectly square foundation by extending the four sides which form a square using fence foundations. Maybe easier to visualize by looking at the graphic:

2 Likes

Yeah I see and I’ve used it too a lot
But after some updated they break :confused:

It happened to me many times pillars breaking on foundations or ceilings.
If the pillar is connected to the ground you are 100% safe (pillars can go through ceilings, not foundations).

It might has to do with stability it shows 100 stability but for me it still breaks after a period of time (can still stay for months before it breaks).

1 Like

I don’t understand if you’re agreeing or mounting an agreement so… umm…

Been there, don’t want anyone to have the same fate I had haha
My entire roof had to be rebuild back then, and some other supported structures…

1 Like

Yes of course you can. I kept it small so I can screen capture it all. The perimeter pattern remains the same regardless of size

1 Like

BTW, it’s also possible with some building sets to place fence foundations through counter-aligned blocks in order for form your square on top of a round. It’s perfectly stable but these latching rules may change in future making the expansion of a such a build difficult or troublesome.

2 Likes

3.0 is in TestLive now, we can go test various ideas like these. :wink:

3 Likes

It is? Where?

I’ve been downloading it for five minutes.

2 Likes