Chapter 3 - Keep the light beams pls

I like to place an altar decorative because of its beam. Now I don’t have to think about how I need to place them to have the beam at center of my mostly round bases :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

People build big because they love to build and want to show their builds and talent to other people. Their decission is not made based on some shrines size or lights. People could also build their workstations close together in one small area but they don´t. Because they like to seperate their working areas. Build blacksmiths and lumbermills and all kinds of other stuff. Do you also want to get rid of every station so they are not able do that any longer too? Like @CodeMage said you don´t need to build big, its simply a personal decission.

2 Likes

To be fair I never understood why they made those silly beams in the first place :man_shrugging:
Reminds me of those old dodgy nightclubs that shine a spotlight at the sky so you can locate them even if you’re drunk out of your mind :joy:

I’m indifferent on the topic though :man_shrugging: yes lights… no lights… whichever we’ll end up with

4 Likes

I’m wondering if this was all the plan because of the lights are memory hogs

2 Likes

But then they introduced a huge ass light source seemingly with map-sized render distance you can see even from the northern biome.

4 Likes

If they are, just give us an option to toggle it on or off on the client. :man_shrugging:

My bet is on this theory, though:

5 Likes

That doesn’t sound right even if it’s what was said… mostly because that would imply alter lights returning after the event. Who wants to take bets that will happen? It doesn’t make sense to turn off a game feature with the sole reason that it upsets an event especially if there is not back story behind it. No, I firmly believe that is a convenient cover story to something that has plagued the servers (even if cool because I remember my first true base with all 6 at the time lit up)

2 Likes

:thinking: and I thought funcom wanted to keep the lights on sooooo what were the bazaar purchases for​:ghost:

5 Likes

I can’t see why they would bother to come up with a cover story if it is indeed due to server load. I’m sure most of not all active players would be all for improving server side performance. If that was it I’d be inclined to think they would just outright say as such. In the dev stream it was said that they wanted the event to really stand out so we’re planning to alter some current in game light features. My money is right there.

3 Likes

They’ve been periodically cutting out particle effects from the game…
Meteor smoke anyone? :smiley: Or a lot of other NPC campfire smoke and probably other stuff here and there we didn’t even notice.

Imo they’ve been after those altar lights for a long time but now they have a convenient reason for it too.

Probably has to do with the experience itself as well… like you have new people join a server and see all these intimidating silly beams all over the place, Ignasi might have been joking in the patch notes with the light pollution thing, but he’s got a point :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree though if they want to use this for events, then it makes sense else you might accidentally show up on some Alpha clan’s doorsteps by accident to do the events :stuck_out_tongue:
(Based on how I understood what they said on the stream… they don’t just plan to use it for the Chapter 3 sorcery event… but for ALL events in the future of ALL Ages :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

Wait WHAT?!

THEY ARE REMOVING THE BEAMS??

4 Likes

the witty hashtag at the end of the patchnotes about it makes me think they wont backtrack on it

“#saynotolightpollution”

its like they think its what the player base wants or something.

2 Likes

Take mine - FUNCOM will return “new” illuminated altar models (1200 900 CC each) alongside the :moneybag: Age of Gods :moneybag: update

1 Like

Please - dont kill the beams. Greetings

1 Like

They’ll add a store item, which has same effect. -_-’

Or at very lest, make it a item player can sue with a 12-14 limit or something

6 Likes

Unless a rework of religion is coming and shutting off the beams was the simplest solution to an internal concern and it would be moot in the next age anyway… just idle speculation.

5 Likes

Ok I speculate and hope:

They are changing Mek-kamoses spire “to have a light pillar that is seen from a great distance”. I assume they just put the normal pillar effect on it and adjust it to be visible from huge distance - but to avoid same happening to normal altar beams (if they are simply using the same effect) they are shutting the other beams off (hopefully temporarily).

So tl:dr I am hoping situation will return to normal once the event is gone.

2 Likes

This was my guess as well.

I’m happy they’re gonna go. I liked them well enough, but their pull on the server performance is bad. I’m tired of seeing noobs join the official servers and instantly unlock every shrine, just to shove them all into a crappy base that clusters them among 20 million torches, thralls, and pets. I will either build one per small satellite base, or none at all. My main base is large on EL, yet purposely does not contain a single shrine. Your average player won’t consider this and would have them filtered in because who cares about other players? I say good riddance. Get over it, guys… the reason they should be gone is because of server performance and because your average player can’t control themselves. Oh, and I’m also glad, because now that occasional player can’t have a phallic tower with beams shooting out anymore (I’m looking at those guys that built next to me about 4 years back). :expressionless:

2 Likes