Cities and Currency

Joel had a longer text discription for the coin. He took it away couse we wil be coinmakers, but it would be nice to have rare coins as well to find in dungeons etc for buing special stuff.

2 Likes

Maybe like certain artifacts could be acquired for a special item. I think in the long run that we should be able to forge copper and silver coins, gold should be acquired from NPCs or there could be a platinum type of coin that is above the gold one.

I’m kinda having some fear with the coin forgery, and that is on certain servers inflation would sky rocket.

1 Like

Cities, I like. If there was some kind of makeshift quest system, but not like what we’ve seen in traditional games, I think that would keep players in the game longer. It doesn’t have to be lore driven or anything, just “hey, fill up the forge.” 3x a week. An alliance type system would be neat as well. It would band larger groups of players together in the hopes of creating something great instead of servers being comprised solely of solo and duo guilds that wreck each other weekly. Which is fun, but these “devoted” players need larger obstacles when attempting to destroy what newer players have. We could all claim lots within the city(limiting the size of the group with limited slots/lots), and some kind of progression system would allow us to fill the thing with thralls and sugar sweet defenses. That would be a whole other level of PVP. Nevermind the RP.

Currency might be a little iffy. Honestly, I prefer games without currency. But hey! If the devs are dead set on it, I’ll manage.

3 Likes

Heh. “Services.”

3 Likes

Currency is a good thing. Many have been asking for it for some time.

My issue with being able to Mint (forge) your own coin is that it will in all probability, devalue coin entirely.

I sincerely hope there are some serious pre-reqs before anyone is able to start making their own coin, as well as a possible server setting placing a hard limit on the maximum amount of coin that can be produced by any player, or player faction (yes, it sounds a bit Nanny-ish, but may be an absolute necessity on public, and private servers alike).

3 Likes

When you consider that all materials respawn in the game, No.

2 Likes

Who needs coins? The shrubs are full of free and nourishing bugs!

I do like how the NPC cities will have some enterable structures. Makes things more immersive for roleplaying as well.

2 Likes

The city looks so much better now! The buildings don’t look to tiny to fit in as much =p

2 Likes

The addition of currency does not mean that entire servers will suddenly adopt coins as a means of exchange. It may depend on the actual usage of the coins. Is their primary function to be a way to interact with NPC merchants? Will the precious metals be randomly rewarded from corpses and world chests, or will there be actual nodes to mine?

At a glance, the introduction of currency appears to be a welcome addition to the single-player game. It may give players a way to bolster their acquisition of thralls and materials, open content with NPC quest-givers, or purchase unique items that cannot be constructed through the Feat system.

In multiplayer, private or public, it will ultimately be up the server’s players to determine the value of the coins as vital means of exchange, or shiny baubles to admire and hoard.
Some servers may decide the coins are a great way to standardize the value of materials, others may simply consider them another commodity, like crystal or steelfire, to be traded as barter.

5 Likes

How about being able to use currency to pay NPC crafting thralls for tools/weapon/armor? like a paying crafting station with a skilled thrall in it?

3 Likes

Yeah, that’d be a great addition to the purge mechanic. Hope enough folks reply to get some attention

I think it will be literally what they showed.
They talked about lore characters having moved there.
I guess that set city part will be the only thing which will be friendly towards players. I really think all the current existing cities will stay hostile.
Did anyone of you check out Muriela on testlive? If you dont attack her people, no one will attack you, it’s basically the same like that city will be. Meaning there will be several points of interest where lore or any else kind of interesting things (like religion teachers) will be placed - of course including NPCs/thralls. But every city turning neutral/friendly? I think that would be wrong.

5 Likes

We plan this for our server. You can conquer a special city and get taxes from the other players. :innocent:

1 Like

Ok, we have neutral cities Hunters behind relics, Black ship, New Asgard, etc 
 Then the thrall system will be limited. Because all cities have the best thralls. Then need to add the top slaves in hostile settlements.

1 Like

This is perfect!

Wait until someone builds a massive wall all around the cities, locking you out/in of it. Poor PvE players

1 Like

Only the relic hunter city will get neutral, they don’t mentioned the other cities in the stream!

2 Likes

Well, since the resource for coins respawn (or will it?) there will be rampant inflation on all servers.

“A bowl of soup please”
“That will be 2000 gold”

This will obviously push the silver coins out of the economy fast (if they follow the old 100s = 1g, the time it would take to mine and produce silver coins wouldnt be worth it)

2 Likes

On all the servers I have played on thralls and things like ichor, twine, bricks, metal, etc. became the de facto currency items. People are already getting creative and finding ways to make deals that are good for everyone :smiley:

The ability to make your thralls do something other than stand in your base would definitely make your creations feel more alive instead of feeling like you’re playing tower defense by placing 300 archers and star metal hammer thralls in your base.

2 Likes

There won’t be inflation, because the currency is anchored to the value of thralls. If a thrall is worth 10 gold, then a bowl of soup will never be worth 20 thralls. The currency will be anchored to everything it can be used to purchase — thralls, drink, and maybe weapons and clothing.

The currency system will probably be more static, not shifting or inflating.

But, the value of currency will be increased from person-to-person depending on how close you are to the Neutral Cities, and how much you value the things it can be used to trade for. Some players won’t care about your coin, because the things it can be used for have no value to them. Other players will be highly integrated into the cities, and always be on the hunt for coin.

I think the currency system is intriguing, but it will always be cheaper to club a thrall and throw them on your own wheel.

3 Likes