Cold/Hot resistance with armor

I believe that weapon became very useless a few updates ago. To the point where a torch gives more cold protection however it’s been a while

Eye of the Watcher is definitely a weak budget option for situations where you don’t have the good options yet. A decent starter armor, a torch and the Eye can help you survive (barely) in places where the cold would otherwise get you, such as when you’re getting your first black ice or stuff.

Dragonscale Helm is one of the most useful items these days, as it helps keep you alive and doesn’t need hands. Unfortunately the Red Mama has been very stingy with drops lately. (In fact, all Unnamed City bosses are. I’ve made several runs in a row without a single Legendary drop from the bunch.) Luckily I managed to get both Solspeil and Mistmourn from skeleton key chests pretty early in this playthrough.

I still haven’t got around to wearing heavy armor myself, but my minions… err, I mean auxiliary staff are happy to wear the Cimmerian heavy armor I “acquire” from my “negotiations” with the local Cimmerian clan.

4 Likes

Demon fire orbs work better, IMO vs explosive arrows when cracking open meteors. Can be found in loot and are easier to craft.

Some good advice in these comments - best by far is the link to the heat/cold resistance info in the wiki - go read it if you didn’t already. One key thing to understand is this quote from that site:

UI representation

Temperature resistance values for items and the overall character stats are summarized as “bars” instead of a direct numeric value, with each bar roughly equal to five points of protection. More specifically:

• A value of 0 is represented as no bars
  • Values from 1 to 4 are represented as 1 bar
  • All other values are represented as (value + 1) / 5 bars, rounded up (5-9 is 2 bars, 10-14 is 3 bars, etc.)

This means that two pieces of equipment with significantly different numeric values will often appear to have the same resistance, e.g. Icon light exile cap.png Light Turban with resistance values of 1 and Icon Medium exile cap-1.png Medium Cap with resistance values of 4 are both represented as one bar.

Also, my best advice for getting into frozen north AND volcano any time you like, naked, as early as you like, avoiding all combat if you like (just run): craft a stove and a dryer, farm eggs, exotic flesh and berries. Make dried berries on the drying rack. Put the exotic flesh, eggs and dried berries in the stove and make Exotic Feasts. The game as always does an absolutely CRAP job of explaining the benefits of various items in game, especially this one. You would not think it would have any warming effect. But when you eat it, you will see it gives a very strong warming effect (top tier) AND unlike other spicy food or alcohol like Firewater, it doesn’t have a downside (no getting hungover/headache debuff, no getting thirstier and having to drink more water which cools you down which is not good when you’re trying to do the opposite - although you can drink berry juice or pulp etc to counteract that, as they remove thirst but don’t cool down - I don’t bother though, I just use Exotic Feasts). Once you’ve made even 10-20 of them you are ready to head to just about any cold area. Make more if you want to stay longer, they last a couple minutes each time. Put on your best loincloth or better, and go north. Once in the north, farm black ice nodes whenever you find them, or even normal ice nodes if you want, and head to volcano. When you start getting extremely hot in volcano, just eat ice. You will be 100% fine even naked. If you’re nervous, do all this without taking any good gear just so you don’t lose it all if you happen to get in trouble. But be careful, don’t leave volcano while you still have the “cooling down” buff from the ice or you will freeze very quickly (exotic feasts can help balance it out). It is a juggle but not at all a hard one, just Exotic Feasts and ice are all you need for very good cold and heat resistance. Not good enough for inside the Frost Temple but good enough for pretty much anywhere else.

3 Likes

Sorry but that’s wrong. Coarse wraps etc only give 1 bar / 2 points each. Even basic Light Armour gives 1 bar / 5 points each.

Edit: I was wrong about Firecrow being wrong. I am now eating my loincloth in shame.

1 Like

Are you sure? I think some sets give a bonus for wearing the full set. If I have a full set of rags I definitely resist temp better than a full set of light armour. This is not coming from the wiki or info presented in the inventory. It’s coming from actual in-game experience and testing. Like you said, some things perform better than their stats/info suggest. I swear this is one of them.

Also I thought no-one knew how many “points” were in each bar? Isn’t that the whole problem?

Nope :slight_smile:

No, they’re not sure. Light armor provides 1 temperature resistance per piece (so 5 total), while the coarse set provides 2 temperature resistance per piece (so 8 total since it doesn’t have a head piece)
There’s no “bonus” for wearing full sets though.
They might have been confusing it with the level 60 epic version of the light armor that gives 4 resistance per piece.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I thought, but I’m at work and didn’t trust my memory enough to make a bold claim!

1 Like

You are confused because of the wiki I’m guessing. Check each individual piece instead of the whole set.
When I looked at this over a year ago I got a bit confused about how some things were displayed. Not sure if it has been changed, but when I looked at everything in detail, I got a clearer picture of how much protection things gave.
Basic Light armor made from Hide gives 1 point for each piece of armor. (Total: 5/ 2 bars) Coarse gives 2 points for each piece. (Total: 8/ 2 bars)

Test with the character stat screen with no Sheltered status from being in your base.
See how many bars you get with the basic armors

I only found demon-fire orbs in the pockets of serpentmen and vulkan people.

And to everyone who wants to run up to the North: MULLED BREW!!!
It can be found pretty often in Sepermeru chests, and even in basic wooden boxes at the darfari territory.
A torch, some basic armor, mulled brew, and you can go everywhere in the North.

2 Likes

There is an attribute that helps with cold that I stumbled upon by accident that will help. I should have posted about it awhile ago but havent been on the forums much lately. I was up at the frost giant temple on an official server helping some folks stuck trying to get back to their bodies after dying. This was before I had got to lvl 60 so had some lower tier armor on, I want to say it was vanir heavy or shaman, and some basic heating food… spiced pork if I recall. Anyways I got hit a few times by the frost giants and had coldsnap but noticed my health wasnt tanking like normal with the frostbitten debuff. Well I had the lvl 20 vitality perk glutton for punishment. It sure was doing its job lol. Wouldnt let my health drain. I could just keep taking hits by the frost giants, they couldnt kill me lol. It seems to just negate the damage you receive by extreme cold. Add that to all the other suggestions think you’ll be good :+1:

1 Like

One of the best gear pieces that u can get urself is seek and obtain the dragonscale helmet… has 5 heat AND cold resistances which means u can go almost anywhere wearing any armour and this halmet…

Knowledge of how torches work also help (normal fire torches raises temp, whilst the glowing stick lowers it - making glowing ideal for volcano and torch for frozen palace!!)
Soothing potion is another good solution. And ofc the hot/cooling down recipes can help a lot…

2 Likes

Something else to use at least pre 3.0 is a good idea supply of highland berries giving food and moisture with out cooling you down. Bring a sickle to harvest on the run. @stelagel taught me this .

2 Likes

Sorry but I was wrong about you being wrong :smiley:

2 Likes

No worries, we all do it sometimes. You are a person of honour for mentioning it :grin:

Oh! Edit: The Black Hand armour also punches above it’s weight for resistance. It doesn’t give any stat bonuses but the vest and pants are 3 points heat and cold each! as opposed to 1 for standard or dlc medium armour.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.