Conan Exiles Dedicated Server Launcher (Official Version: 1.7.5 / Beta: 1.7.7)

Hello, what do i have to do if the three lights in “test port accessibility” are glowing red ?

When i’m trying to test it, a error window pops up saying: “The testing of the three UDP port was not successful, please check that no other application is using these ports and that the ports are accessible through your firewall and router”

I checked the firewall, but i’m not sure what do i have to do exactly.

1 Like

I checked the firewall, but i’m not sure what do i have to do exactly.

Have you checked the very top post?

• Network Configuration → Port Forwarding is probably what you are looking for.

I just registered to say THANK YOU! Awesome work!

Thanks, much appreciated :slight_smile:
If you have ideas on how to improve the tool (in the limits of what is reasonable), feel free to tell.

1 Like

When running the Dedicated Server App, I am unable to save settings and it seems that after using it and switching back to just the default (editing the .ini files directly), now all the sudden it’s not allowing me to install new mods to the server.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, I need a bit more contextual information :slight_smile:

• Did you edit the ini files with the Dedicated Server Launcher running?
  • What do you mean exactly by “now allowing to install new mods to the server”?

Normally the way it works, if you edit settings in the tool, the “Save” button is enabled only when the values have changed. When you click Save, it writes to the .ini file the new values.

The tool also check if the ini files are modified on disk, and if they do, the values are reloaded.

Now, I’m not sure that the system is 100% foolproof if you try to both edit values in the tool and edit the same ini file at the same time…

Generally speaking, since the tool is only a launcher, when you encounter and issue, the simpler is to close it and restart it: If your game server was already up and running it will detect that and not try to restart anything.

1 Like

I had an issue connecting to a server that I hosted using this tool on the same machine that I was trying to play from, but after much hair tearing out, I found the solution to my problem and figured that I should share it here in case anyone else runs into the problem. My issue was that I could not connect to my server, and after spending a lot of time swapping ports around and triple-checking that the ports were opened properly, I discovered that ConanSandboxServer-Win64-Test.exe only had access to public networks in my firewall, and not private networks, so I gave it access to both, and that resolved my issue immediately. I was able to connect to my server, and it works perfectly.

1 Like

Hello Toolguy!

Appreciate the response…

I believe I did actually have the .ini files open at the time of trying to edit them with the launcher tool, would this be the cause? However, even after closing the files, the save button was still grayed out for me.

I had a previously setup server and thought I’d try this tool out (backed up my server just in case). So, previous to this tool I was manually changed the values in the .ini files (Engine and ServerSettings). When I tried to change the values in the launcher it “Save Settings” button on the tool was just grayed out so I wasn’t able to make any changes (mod list items, server name, server password, admin password etc.). Everything else seemed to work 100% no issues, but it just didn’t want to save these settings. I tried running as Administrator to see if this solved the issue, but still no luck. Any ideas?

Side Note: I did find out why the mods weren’t installing to the server properly and it was because I had the “Mods” folder in the wrong location… Derp! Lol!

1 Like

I discovered that ConanSandboxServer-Win64-Test.exe only had access to public networks in my firewall, and not private networks, so I gave it access to both, and that resolved my issue immediately. I was able to connect to my server, and it works perfectly.

Having the tool validate firewall rules in on the todo list.

I’ve never done that before, so that may take some time, but it will probably eventually happen :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

Side Note: I did find out why the mods weren’t installing to the server properly and it was because I had the “Mods” folder in the wrong location… Derp! Lol!

Ok, so the mod part is fixed :slight_smile:

I tried running as Administrator to see if this solved the issue, but still no luck.

Regarding what the tool currently does, Administrator access is not required (that may change if I add things like firewall rules negotiation, but at the moment this is not necessary)

When I tried to change the values in the launcher it “Save Settings” button on the tool was just grayed out so I wasn’t able to make any changes (mod list items, server name, server password, admin password etc.). Everything else seemed to work 100% no issues, but it just didn’t want to save these settings.

Does any of the “lights” appear red?

The tool does not want you to save anything that could cause issues, so if you try to put 80 players, a 2 character long server name, etc… it will not allow saving.

1 Like

Hello Toolguy,

Nope, my server setting were as follows…

Server Name: Malserve
Max Players: 30
Server Pass: <10 digit long password> (wont post it here for obvious reasons)

I’ve got a picture here, make it easier for you if that helps?

I put the “******” to indicate it’s a sensitive password, that wont actually be the password at all, however the lights were still the same color.

1 Like

Server Name: Malserve

Well, “Malserve” is showing red (because it’s considered too short by the tool).

Try a longer server name to see if that solves the problem.

If everybody really thinks it’s too much of a limitation, I can remove the limit of the number of characters on the server names, it seemed a good idea, but apparently some people prefer short names.

1 Like

Hmmm, I suppose that makes sense… but wouldn’t it be logical to make the limitations the same as creating a server without the tool?

Side Note:

Does this tool update mods automatically?
Also, I have an idea that be an awesome feature for the server!
Would it be at all possible to create a “auto-restart” feature that would restart the server, wait for mods to update and the turn it back on; set on a timer, say every day at a specified time? This would be really helpful!

1 Like

Hmmm, I suppose that makes sense… but wouldn’t it be logical to make the limitations the same as creating a server without the tool?

Possibly, that would imply I actually know what the actual limits allowed by the game server are :slight_smile:

I guess my first move will be to release a new version that cuts down the hard limits and only shows “yellow” for things that are not awesome (I still think if everybody call their server with a three letters names it’s going to be a mess…)

Side Note:
Does this tool update mods automatically?

Yes it does, for the ones it installs itself when you provide the workshop id.

The ones you provide by path directly on your disk, the tool only added them to the startup sequence but it does not update them.

Also, I have an idea that be an awesome feature for the server!
Would it be at all possible to create a “auto-restart” feature that would restart the server, wait for mods to update and the turn it back on; set on a timer, say every day at a specified time? This would be really helpful!

That should not be too difficult to do.

I guess the tool could even use the RCon connection to send messages to the players on the server to indicate that it will restart in 5 minutes or something…

1 Like

That would be beautiful! Do you know how long that would take to implement?

By the way, I love the work you’ve done for this, it’s quite amazing! Keep up the great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be beautiful! Do you know how long that would take to implement?

It really goes down to the “bangs for the bucks” criteria.

This tool is just a think I started after pointing out that we would be less stressed with the official servers capacity if players could easily run their own servers without having to get a PhD in server configuration. It was not actually planned - else it would have been there at the game release -.

So it’s really just a side project, I do have a lot of other things to work on (I’m a tool programmer after all) for Conan and other projects, so it’s a cost-benefit equation :slight_smile:

If it looks like only 2 persons are using the tool, that’s going to be hard sell, but if there’s a significant number of people thinking it’s worth continuing the development, then you can bet we can regularly add features, and even make sure that there will be such a tool ready to use for our next projects as well.

That being said, fixing the name limit I can do that in a few minutes (plus the time to publish and release the version, time for the CDN to update, etc…)

The auto-restart/rcon, hard to say, I have a rough idea on how to do it, but the biggest issue is that I’m running out of free space in the UI so I would have to restructure a bit - either enlarging the existing dialog, or adding stuff like tabs to access multiple pages of parameters.

Need to think about it.

By the way, I love the work you’ve done for this, it’s quite amazing! Keep up the great work :slight_smile:

Thanks, trying my best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Considering all the positive feedback from this thread alone and the downloads (1k+), it seems there is a lot of support for this, all within less than a month time frame. I can’t see it being an issue :wink:

3 Likes

FYI Norton does not like the newest version of this.

Filename: dedicatedserverlauncher108.exe
Threat name: Trojan.Gen.6Full Path: f:\gameservers\conantest\dedicatedserverlauncher108.exe

On computers as of
7/22/2018 at 9:53:18 AM

Last Used
7/22/2018 at 9:55:18 AM

Startup Item
No

Launched
No

Threat type: Virus. Programs that infect other programs, files, or areas of a computer by inserting themselves or attaching themselves to that medium.

dedicatedserverlauncher108.exe Threat name: Trojan.Gen.6
Locate

Few Users
Fewer than 100 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

New
This file was released 16 days ago.

High
This file risk is high.

Source: External Media

Source File:
dedicatedserverlauncher108.exe

File Actions

Infected file: f:\gameservers\conantest\ dedicatedserverlauncher108.exe Repaired

File Thumbprint - SHA:
a308d50c0b956320a6fc2388c8216168761ea1bc3b73a639510e4d260ff9555c
File Thumbprint - MD5:
0bb6438f52fc61e2afb64d7d4866887f

1 Like

FYI Norton does not like the newest version of this.

Well, that’s another of these heuristics algorithms gone bad… had that with Avast before.

“Trojan.Gen.6 is a generic detection for many individual but varied Trojans for which specific definitions have not been created. A generic detection is used because it protects against many Trojans that share similar characteristics.”

Basically the poor antivirus is probably being confused because the tool has access to internet, can self deploy an embedded SteamCMD executable, plus it has some of the internal Funcom tool for diagnostic, error reporting, etc…

Guess I need to find a way to report that as a false positive.

sigh

Thanks for the information :slight_smile:

EDIT, could you go on the false positive page of norton?
Respond to incorrect Norton alerts that a file is infected or a program or website is suspicious
I could do it, but I’m not using Norton myself, so they may ask for information I can’t provide.

1 Like

I am also getting a hit from McAfee AV. Similar info as Munra. Previous versions were fine.

1 Like

So after reading the comments a little lost even after reading up on this. Trying to set up a dedicated server on a diffrent pc but confused. Is it possable or does steam and cpnan need to be installed on the second pc? I rather not play the game and have tbe server on one pc since mine gets shut off and my server pc does not. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Let say that we are still in the Beta Testing phase, so there’s been a lot of discussion.

Trying to set up a dedicated server on a different pc but confused. Is it possible or does steam and conan need to be installed on the second pc? I rather not play the game and have the server on one pc since mine gets shut off and my server pc does not.

It’s totally possible to have the Dedicated Server on a second machine that does not even have Steam installed

(It’s actually my original scenario, and some of the changes that were requested was to make it possible to have BOTH on the same machine.)

So all you need to do is:

• Download the DedicatedServerLauncher108.exe on your “server” machine and put it on a disk that has at least 15 gigs of free disk space
  • Run the program.
  • Edit the various parameters (name of the server, number of players, password, region, etc…) and press SAVE
  • Make sure you have solved all the network issues (the server needs to receive information from outside, so your router/modem needs to redirect the three indicated ports toward the server machine)
  • Press the START button: On the first time SteamCMD will be installed and the game server downloaded, as well as any mod you specified, and after that the server will start, just wait a minute or so and it should be up and running.

At that point you can start Conan Exiles on your other machine, go to the play online menu, and in the server list select the “Direct Connect” button, and enter the IP of the other machine (the one called External IP)

That should be it: In case of doubt, refer to the very top post, it’s the actual user manual.

Good luck.

@timex21

I am also getting a hit from McAfee AV. Similar info as Munra. Previous versions were fine.

Ok, will have to investigate. Thanks.

2 Likes

Ty for clarifying. Second question is will the server be able to be found by name or just direct ip connection?

1 Like