Conan Exiles Dedicated Server App (Latest Version: 1.0.25)

Makes sense :slight_smile:

The SSD will also help in restarting servers faster, faster updates, faster loading of data when buildings and other items need to be loaded from an area which was not previously loaded, etc…

The servers is on a 500/500 line, will come back on what network card we have…

Make sure to do some speed tests from the machine in question.

At home I found out that I had one particular piece of hardware (uninterrupted power supply with a surge protection ethernet port) which was limited to 100 megabit…

The Server runs on manly 2 of the 16 cores, but there is some traffic on 4-6 of the other cores.

Generally speaking, it’s a good thing to not use the first core (let it available for windows), and only use the remaining ones for your servers.

The .24 is better than .21 imo. but haven’t tried the .21 with more than 4 people…

That should not have any particular impact.
Guess tomorrow I will promote the version to “Current Official”

Network card is Intel PRO/1000 MT

Ran a speed test with the server running. Result is 342 down and 345 up…

There are good cards, something you can also test is to run a long running ping to detect for packet loss and irregularities in the speed:

C:\Users\toolguy>ping -t google.com

Pinging google.com [216.58.211.142] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.211.142: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=54
Reply from 216.58.211.142: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=54
(...)

Ping statistics for 216.58.211.142:
    Packets: Sent = 36, Received = 36, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 7ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Users\toolguy>

The server is running on a virtual machine. The server owner said he is running vnic E1000 on the server, and the hardware is 2 x 10Gb Broadcom 57810.

Based on some quick reading it seems that the E1000 emulation is a legacy network implementation that “pretends” there is an Intel card in the virtual machine, but that performance wise it can be very taxing, and that VMWare (and probably other VM systems) have some new implementations (like VMXNET3) that are using less CPU to provide the same service.

Maybe worth investigating :slight_smile:

Regarding virtualisation, you can’t just tweak your part of the system by allocating cores and memory and disk usage assuming you have a full machine to yourself, you need to check that in the whole physical machine context: If there are other VMs that are running some processes that are doing a lot of memory trashing and cpu computation, ultimately it’s going to impact your side as well.

Does this still not work on the same machine as the one to be gamed on, even with the -nosteam command? does anyone have a workaround for it?

So. I follow all the guide, but i can’t see my server, so I triyed to test the ports again and I get the steam port red without reason. I triyed to change the steam port to 27016 and I get it green again, but the port become grey few moments later and I still cant see my server. What is wrong?

Edit: tested while server is running and it get green again all the time, but can’t see my server.

Maybe @stinger can help you, apparently he managed.

If you can figure out something reliable and working for both of you, please share the details. I tried to replicate, it did not work for me :frowning:

Are you trying to only run the server on this machine, or do you also have a game client running?

After changing the port, did you “Save Changes” and then “Restart”? The game server only loads information on startup, from the ini files. If you don’t save, or don’t restart, it will not work.

Edit: tested while server is running and it get green again all the time, but can’t see my server.

The “Test Port Accessibility” is not supposed to work if the serve is running: For this feature to work, the ports need to be free, if the server is running, these ports are not supposed to be free, so this is not normal.

As I said, I got disconnected after a while and the launcher said ‘locked ports’ even when I tried to run the launcher on my laptop and the game on my desktop, so I gave it up.

OOps, I did not actually see your previous update.
Sorry!

Are you trying to only run the server on this machine, or do you also have a game client running?

After changing the port, did you “Save Changes” and then “Restart”? The game server only loads information on startup, from the ini files. If you don’t save, or don’t restart, it will not work.

I’m trying to to run the game client too. Its a mistake or have a way to solve it?
And yes, saved the changes and restarted the client.

Thanks for the help. We moved the servers to SSD, and upped the ram to 64, also changed from E1000 to VMXNET3. The server is running way smoother now.

Cool :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome back from holidays, I hope you had a good start into the new year!

To answer your question, we’ve been running our server with v. 1.0.24 since around Christmas maybe (as soon as I noticed there’s a new version) and so far I haven’t had any issues with it. I’m not using all of its features and didn’t do any real testing (aka specifically checking whether all of them work with different settings), but as far as I can tell everything is fine.

We started using the discord feature and I’d echo DemarumeRu’s request to be able to change the name defined on discord rather than being stuck with “DedicatedServerLauncher 1.0.24”, but that’s really a minor inconvenience.

I suspect that many of settings can’t be changed in the ini and be expected to be used right away or even after the restart. Most of them will simply be written back to their originals when the server shuts down.
Case in point, I tested this with the Maximum Player Count setting and here’s what happened:

1. Start server with Maximum Player Count set to 20
  2. Wait until it shows up in the server browser - it shows 0/20 as expected.
  3. Change value to 30 on the launcher and save changes
  4. Game.ini reflects changes and shows MaxPlayers=30 now
  5. Refreshing the server browser still shows 0/20 => setting isn’t changed on the live server
  6. Shut down server
  7. Game.ini is reset back to MaxPlayers=20, supposedly because the server software rewrites the actual used values.

Interestingly the launcher notices the change back to 20 and resets the GUI too. Changing the setting while the server is not running works like a charm.
So I suppose the solution to the problem would be if the launcher could somehow cache those changes and apply them the next time the server isn’t running (and have that fact visually represented somehow).

On an unrelated note: I’m always curious about ways to improve server performance. We’re running a server that recently gets 40+ players online during peak hours and that drops performance to single digit tick rates despite my best efforts. The server hasn’t had a wipe since the official launch, so I’m sure that’s compounding the problem but I pride myself in grooming the database pretty well, so we don’t have 6 months old structures or something. It runs on an Corei7-8700 Hexa-Core Coffee Lake CPU, two NVMes in a Raid0 setting, 64 GB DDR4 RAM. I ticked the -useallavailablecores checkbox, set it to High Priority and give it affinity to all but core 0 (reserved for the OS). I disabled hyperthreading in the BIOS because I figured the server wasn’t making very good use of multiple cores anyway and 5 of them should be more than enough. Having those perform better should help more than having more logical cores available.

Update:
I did some more testing and it looks like Server Name, Server Password, Admin Password and the Mod List are not updated at runtime on the server, however unlike the Maximum Player Count they are updated after a restart and not overwritten by the server.
The passwords can be changed on a running server from within the game though, so maybe there’d be a way to do it from outside too. I know that it’s possible to set a different Admin Password via Rcon command
con <idx> SetServerSetting AdminPassword <yourpasswordhere>
The kicker for this one is that it requires at least one person to be online on the server (idx = 0) for it to work.
And while I’m at it, I might as well give you a bug report to forward internally: there seems to be a bit of a confusion about where to save certain settings.

• There is an entry for the ServerPassword in the ServerSettings.ini that isn’t used. The correct location for that is the Engine.ini. As a result of this, the command SetServerSetting ServerPassword doesn’t work. The Admin Password on the other hand is stored in the ServerSettings, so that works.
  • There is an entry for the RconPort in the ServerSettings.ini that isn’t used either, the correct location for that one is the Game.ini

When I run a daily restart every morning I’d like to also run a restart on the VMware. as it gets laggy after a while. is there a opion to make it run a .bat file to restart the computer also, like “reboot -r -f” after the logfile, and backup is done? I have made this manually, by setting the computer to run that command 2 minutes after the server reboot schedule, and the server app is set to run at startup, but this means that the computer will reboot while the server is booting up…

Any clue to my locked port problem?
I set up the server on my laptop again and when I click test ports the first time they was green.
When I restartet the computer the port was RED.
But the server still show in the browser list and I can connect to it without problem from my other computer. Both computers are on the same LAN and use the same EXTERNAL IP adresse.

When you write “when I restarted the computer the port was RED but the server still shows in the browser list”, do you mean that the you clicked the “Test Port Accessibility” button while your game server was already running?

If yes, then it’s normal - I should probably gray out the button if the server is running - because for this button to work, the server launcher needs to be able to use these ports, and since they are ports you define for the game server, if the server is running then they are closed for everything else.

If it’s not what you meant, then please reformulate because I’m not 100% sure I understand what the actual question/issue is.

So basically a second edit field with a command to run after the backup… or a way to specify if the script execute should happen “never/on startup/after backup” (like a list choice combo box). Would that work?

There seem to be some weird stuff happening with some of the server settings.
Something you could try is to force -MaxPlayers=40 in the “Additional Command Line Parameters” field, see if that works.

So ideally another edit field to enter the name to display?
Other than that, does the feature works well enough for you?

It does and the thing is, I can already name the bot on discord, it’s just that the Launcher seems to supersede that setting. Ideally, it would use it.

In the discord server settings:

When it actually announces the restart:

Yes, that is what I ment, ok so its normal. Thanks.

I noticed something else. When I restart the hosting machine and have the launcher set to autostart at bootup, part of the window is cut-off. If I had to take a guess I’d say that the whole launcher window didn’t fit on the “virtual” display of the server machine. If I connect to it via Remote Desktop it uses the same resolution as my own screen and shows truncated. I can restart the launcher manually and everything is fine. Not really a big deal because the autostart feature really is just an emergency measure if the machine restarts unattended to make sure the server starts itself automatically (which it does!).