Welcome back from holidays, I hope you had a good start into the new year!
To answer your question, we’ve been running our server with v. 1.0.24 since around Christmas maybe (as soon as I noticed there’s a new version) and so far I haven’t had any issues with it. I’m not using all of its features and didn’t do any real testing (aka specifically checking whether all of them work with different settings), but as far as I can tell everything is fine.
We started using the discord feature and I’d echo DemarumeRu’s request to be able to change the name defined on discord rather than being stuck with “DedicatedServerLauncher 1.0.24”, but that’s really a minor inconvenience.
I suspect that many of settings can’t be changed in the ini and be expected to be used right away or even after the restart. Most of them will simply be written back to their originals when the server shuts down.
Case in point, I tested this with the Maximum Player Count setting and here’s what happened:
- Start server with Maximum Player Count set to 20
- Wait until it shows up in the server browser - it shows 0/20 as expected.
- Change value to 30 on the launcher and save changes
- Game.ini reflects changes and shows MaxPlayers=30 now
- Refreshing the server browser still shows 0/20 => setting isn’t changed on the live server
- Shut down server
- Game.ini is reset back to MaxPlayers=20, supposedly because the server software rewrites the actual used values.
Interestingly the launcher notices the change back to 20 and resets the GUI too. Changing the setting while the server is not running works like a charm.
So I suppose the solution to the problem would be if the launcher could somehow cache those changes and apply them the next time the server isn’t running (and have that fact visually represented somehow).
On an unrelated note: I’m always curious about ways to improve server performance. We’re running a server that recently gets 40+ players online during peak hours and that drops performance to single digit tick rates despite my best efforts. The server hasn’t had a wipe since the official launch, so I’m sure that’s compounding the problem but I pride myself in grooming the database pretty well, so we don’t have 6 months old structures or something. It runs on an Corei7-8700 Hexa-Core Coffee Lake CPU, two NVMes in a Raid0 setting, 64 GB DDR4 RAM. I ticked the -useallavailablecores checkbox, set it to High Priority and give it affinity to all but core 0 (reserved for the OS). I disabled hyperthreading in the BIOS because I figured the server wasn’t making very good use of multiple cores anyway and 5 of them should be more than enough. Having those perform better should help more than having more logical cores available.
I did some more testing and it looks like Server Name, Server Password, Admin Password and the Mod List are not updated at runtime on the server, however unlike the Maximum Player Count they are updated after a restart and not overwritten by the server.
The passwords can be changed on a running server from within the game though, so maybe there’d be a way to do it from outside too. I know that it’s possible to set a different Admin Password via Rcon command
con <idx> SetServerSetting AdminPassword <yourpasswordhere>
The kicker for this one is that it requires at least one person to be online on the server (idx = 0) for it to work.
And while I’m at it, I might as well give you a bug report to forward internally: there seems to be a bit of a confusion about where to save certain settings.
- There is an entry for the ServerPassword in the ServerSettings.ini that isn’t used. The correct location for that is the Engine.ini. As a result of this, the command SetServerSetting ServerPassword doesn’t work. The Admin Password on the other hand is stored in the ServerSettings, so that works.
- There is an entry for the RconPort in the ServerSettings.ini that isn’t used either, the correct location for that one is the Game.ini