Conan Exiles Dedicated Server App (Latest Version: 1.0.25)

Yes. That sounds about right… :slight_smile:

P.S. I write using Google Translator.
Good day! Nice to see that the discussion is quite active.
I want to make the server as smooth as possible. Help with the settings:

1. On Startup Execute - what is it?
  2. Maximum Tick Rate - base 30, on official servers somewhere 10-12, 30. Which one is better? I have 32 GB RAM; Intel Core I-7 3930k - 6 cores / 12 threads. How much better to put MaxTickRate? And what resource takes Tick Rate.
  3. Is VMXnet3 only for remote server machines?
    I have Windows 7, I run the server from my home PC. Do I need to install VMXnet3 in order to improve overall server performance?
  4. What do you recommend to write in Additional Command Line Parametrs?
  5. Tell me, how can I RESTART the server when Steam is on?
    I realized that the errors (The procedure entry point? IsAlive @ CThread @@ QEBA_NXZ) that appear at startup are not terrible, but they do not allow an auto-restart.

Oh while you’re looking at the discord webhook - would it be possible to parse the logfile for the line
LogMemory:Display: Entered application state 'WorldPersistenceDone'. and send a fourth message to the discord that the server is online and can be joined again?

I am now running the client and server on the same computer.
No special setup. Just use different ports than the default.
Before running the launcher, exit steam completely, also remove steam from systemtray.
Wait till laucher completely finish loaded. It show up in the browser list.
Run the client.
WIndows 10, core I7-X, 32gb ram, Geforce 1080 TI resolution 2560x1600, 30" monitor

What was your problem doing this, @Toolguy

Can you add a similar feature to console ie on xbox/ps4? Wildcard did something similar for Ark and embedded it in the game client turning the xbox and ps4 into dedicated servers. Granted any implementation would probably be limited to only like systems it would still be a nice feature.

I fear that’s a feature request way above my pay check or clearance level :slight_smile:

I’m just self-appointed in charge for this particular launcher tool, I’m not even touching at the game server code itself. Sorry!

I got a steam error saying I was not authenticated and the game quit.

Does the window resize corner works?
Can you resize only vertically, not at all?
Does “minimizing” and then “maximizing” help?

That’s probably doable, added to my feature request list.

Hi, some answers:

• “On Startup Execute” allows you to run a script (batch file) before the server starts
  • “Tick Rate” basically defines the internal game server speed, since the UnrealEngine is not really threaded, you mostly eat single core performance, if you want to increase the tick rate, you better have a few very fast cores than many slow ones. The amount of memory mostly impact the number of players you can handle at the same time. But basically if you change the defaults, you should do it incrementally. If you change a lot of things at the same time it’s just going to get worse. Also what works nicely on a test with 3 players may end up having worse consequences with 10, 20 or 30 players.
  • “Additional command line parameters” are mostly there to allow people to handle the fact that my tool does not do everything and is not always updated to match the game changes, so if some new option is added you can specify it here. It’s just practical. You can also use it to bypass bugs, like forcing the maximum number of players.
  • Regarding restarting with steam, I have no idea. If somebody can point me to an easy and reliable way to make it possible to start the server with steam running (or disable steam and restart it cleanly), I could try, but at the moment I have no idea.

I’ll see what I can do.

I was a bit busy this week, did not have time to do anything for the launcher, but I did not a few requests, please tell if I forgot anything:

• Signal on Discord when the server is ready (when “LogMemory:Display: Entered application state ‘WorldPersistenceDone’” appears in the logs) (MidnightFC)
  • Possibility to run the script AFTER backup to allow reboots of the machine (Kristoffer)
  • Problems with the number of players not sticking (DemarumeRu)
  • Being able to change the name of the discord bot (MidnightFC)
  • Disable the TestPort when the server is running (stinger)

Also, I need to pick your mind for an idea I got when discussing the topic of mod updates: I was asked to implement a way to detect when a mod was updated on the workshop, and then send messages on discord and auto-restart the server.

I did start working on that, but encountered a bunch of problems related to SteamCMD being a pain, the workshop page having time stamps in “programmer hostile” format, etc… and then there was the fact that a server update and mod update can take a very long time, which is not super awesome for people wanting to have a smooth server experience.

So I came up with something: What about if I doubled the amount of disk-space used by your server install?

I know it sounds bad like that, but assuming you have disk space, I could have two copies of the game server, the one currently running, and a second one being regularly updated with SteamCMD.

The Launcher would do some comparison of the files between the two versions, detecting new versions of the server and modes by comparing the folders, and the restart operation would just basically be a restart of the server using the already downloaded files.

Does that sound insane :crazy_face:, or :bulb:?

Have a good week end :slight_smile:

That might be that you restartet the client before it was fully stopped.

To be honest, yes it sounds a little insane. :joy:
I’m not even worried about the hard disk space, but wouldn’t a second server take up valuable CPU resources when we’re already trying to scrape up as much power as possible to be able to manage 40+ players at once during peak hours?
This sounds rather wasteful and counter productive. And while I can obviously only speak for myself, our server has a stable 1GBit line so even large mods and updates are downloaded very fast - certainly much faster than the 15 minutes it takes to restart on our current db - so that hasn’t really worried me either.

No, no, not two server running, one running, and one which is just a set of files on which SteamCMD can do it’s stuff. Basically allowing to run SteamCMD at the same time as the server is running

It seems that the server just runs 2 cores. So the game gets unbareably laggy when we have 40+ people on the server. Do you know anything about this. We currently have 16 cores available, but mainly se traffic on 2 cores, and a there is 5-6 cores that gets a tiny bit of load, and the other cores has no load. Tge laucher reports just 10-15% cpu load… The debug hud ingame shows server FPS in the 1-10 range, often on red numbers, and ping is often above 400, sometimes over 1000…

Also The server is almost constantly not responding…

Ping statistics for 216.58.207.238:
Packets: Sent = 5330, Received = 5330, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 9ms

That sounds a lot more reasonable. I’d still suggest making it optional because a lot of people with dedicated servers will run the game on small SSDs and may not have the capacity for a second client.

Tascha writes in the Conan Exiles Wiki:

Unreal Engine 4 does utilize some multithreading, but it runs the vast majority of its gameplay logic on a single thread called the GameThread. This means that it has to run on a single core. And it is the costliest thread to run for the game, which affects the player experience the most. Since the engine is designed around this principle of having all of the gameplay run in the GameThread, it means that having many cores doesn’t really improve the server performance. Since there is some actions (like loading of assets) that are multithreaded, it makes sense to have some cores, but having server hardware with 32 cores wouldn’t help.

So it seems we have to go back to the i7 processor with higher clockrate per core…

Well, it’s more or less what I answered to IGORek a few posts above:

(…) since the UnrealEngine is not really threaded, you mostly eat single core performance, if you want to increase the tick rate, you better have a few very fast cores than many slow ones. (…)

Took some time, but I managed to make a new version tackling some of the issues which were reported.
(Still no luck with the mod update detection, it’s unfortunately a much larger work than expected)

http://cdn.funcom.com/downloads/exiles/DedicatedServerLauncher1025.exe

Dedicated Server Launcher 1.0.25:

• Disabled the TestPort when the server is running to make it less confusing
  • Possibility to run the BAT scripts on Startup as well as Shutdown (either BEFORE or AFTER the backup) to allow various maintenance operations (like reboot of the machine)
  • The name of the discord bot can be edited
  • Messages are now sent on Discord when the server is ready, being manually shutdown and restarted
  • Updated the © to 2019 in the About Dialog (Yeah I know, super important change…)

And here is what the version looks like:

So, regarding the changes.

• Both the Help and Test Port Accessibility are just UI tweaks, nothing major there.
  • The Discord “nick” allows you to change the name of the bot to whatever you want. If you leave it empty the message will use the default WebHook name set in Discord, but by allowing you to override that in the tool, it means you can use the same WebHook for multiple servers, and have each message have their own name.
  • The Script Running now uses a combo box instead of a check box, so you can now decide if you want to run the batch file before the server launches, just after it stopped, or after the backups have been done

Hopefully I did not break anything

Think I stay with 1024 since I don’t need those features.

The server is playing very well now together with my client on the same computer.

We’ve been using the new version for the last two days and it works great so far. I have no complaints. :+1:

It wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have some additional suggestions/feature requests though.

• It would be cool if we could define our own messages for the server ready message (like we do for the restart). Possibly even different messages for the game and discord to allow adding stuff like emojis or @here that don’t make sense in the game messages. I assume the biggest issue with that would not be a technical one but the screen estate that it would take unless you make a complete overhaul of the interface. :wink:
  • Instead of the immediate restart button, could we get another one that starts the same countdown that regular restarts do (eg. 10, 5 and 2 minute warnings).
  • I’m not sure if this is within the scope of what the launcher can feasibly do, but would it be possible to have the discord bot relay commands to the launcher and not just the other way around? Like making broadcasts or ordering a restart via bot commands from admins of the discord server?

Good, I promoted this version to Official Status.

It wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have some additional suggestions/feature requests though.

:cold_face:

:hot_face:

:scream:

• It would be cool if we could define our own messages for the server ready message (like we do for the restart). Possibly even different messages for the game and discord to allow adding stuff like emojis or @here that don’t make sense in the game messages. I assume the biggest issue with that would not be a technical one but the screen estate that it would take unless you make a complete overhaul of the interface. :wink:

Well, technically I could shrink the Backup and Automation rectangle so it aligns with the Automatic Restart right side, and extend the Warning Messages bloc vertically: That would leave enough room for two or three more lines of messages.

Could even cannibalize part of the Additional Command Line Parameters.

• Instead of the immediate restart button, could we get another one that starts the same countdown that regular restarts do (eg. 10, 5 and 2 minute warnings).

My state machine will probably hate it, but it’s probably doable :slight_smile:

• I’m not sure if this is within the scope of what the launcher can feasibly do, but would it be possible to have the discord bot relay commands to the launcher and not just the other way around? Like making broadcasts or ordering a restart via bot commands from admins of the discord server?

Controlling the app from Discord would be nice, but I have no idea on how that could reasonably done.
The Webhook thing was trivial to implement because there’s no complicated authentication process.

Technically the Launcher could listen on some port, like a mini web-server, but that would be one more port to validate, and some protocol to implement.

Maybe I could implement RCon in the Launcher, so you could use RCon to control RCon to control the Server :wink:

Ha, figured it would probably be a bit more complicated. Well, it’s not really a priority I suppose - especially if the server detects updates to mods and the game itself automatically in the future. I believe that was one of the requests you’re working on, right?

As far as RCon is concerned, Pippi already offers the ability to restart the server via RCon commands. That won’t help people playing without it of course, so your idea might still be worth investigating. :wink: