Conan Exiles Dedicated Server Launcher (Official Version: 1.7.5 / Beta: 1.7.7)

Hi
-Fresh install on windows server 2012
-Multihome
-Firewall off
-tryed diffrent ports
when client connects server :
PacketHandlerLog:Error: PacketHandler parsing packet with zero’s in last byte

Any ideas where to start ?

I see that there was some references to this particular error in some other thread:

Any ideas where to start ?

Ok, so a few questions:

• Which country are you located in?
  • Is the Conan Exiles server the only program you are running on the Windowser Server 2012?
  • Is it a real machine, or some virtual machine running “somewhere”?
  • When you click the Test Port Accessibility (with the server not running), do you get green lights?

-Finland
-Yes
-Virtual Machine
-All green

Ok, that’s a good start.

If you resize the log output of the Dedicated Server Launcher so you can see the log very well, if you try to connect to the server, do you see anything happening on the server at all? Can you see the logging happening, and do you see any error reported by the server (mod errors, time out message, network problem, etc…).

Is it a VM on your own network, or in some hosting center somewhere else?

If it’s somewhere else, from your client machine, can you try to check the network stability by running a continuous ping for a few minutes, example:

> ping /t you.server.ip.here

Pinging 195.110.28.64 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 195.110.28.64: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=127
(...)

Ping statistics for 195.110.28.64:
    Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms
Control-C
^C

We are interested by the % loss parameter, as well as the min/max ms round trip.

yes
Conan server see the client ip connection and that error message comes right after it
VM is in Datacenter near by not in my home.
ping is stable : bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=125
Packets: Sent = 103, Received = 103, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

so i have been working with this all week trying to get it to work. it’s a great tool very easy to use but I’m having a problem. when i get everything up and running i can see the server on steam but not in game. in fact it wont let me see any servers while the server is running. the sever list just comes up blank. I tried doing it on my PC that i play on at first with no luck so i figured it was the same machine problem and set up on separate machine but it’s the same. While i had it on my PC my girlfriend was able to get on the server with her laptop so i figured if i set it up on a separate machine i should be able to as well but i have had no success yet. I’ve been looking through this post as well as others but haven’t found anything like this yet, probably missed it because there’s so much to look through so i figured id make a post here. Any ideas why i cant see the server list while the server is running on a separate machine? Thanks. :grin:

edit: don’t know how but it’s started to work. hopefully i can keep it that way.:smile:

I am personally having massive issues with this server thing. I set it upo. I port forwards every poret i could find that this came even remotely listed. but when I test the ports, its all red. and it wont show on the listing at all.

You only need to forward the ports you are applying to the server in those 4 boxes. The second one must be UDP, but I just set it to forward both TCP and UDP on all 4.

We don’t really know why, but it looks like steam does not always add new servers to the list, or put them so far down the list that they never appear. Generally speaking, it seems that the more often a server appear to be running, on the same machine, with the same name, and on the same ip… the more chance it will appear in the list.

In any case, that does not impact the Direct Connect, we found out that the easiest way to deal with that was to actually have a Discord channel setup and have the server send a “ready to connect” message to the channel, in which case all you have to do is to click on the link and that automatically opens the Steam client and connect to the right server :slight_smile:

If the ports are red, don’t even bother looking at the list or trying to connect.
Having the ports green is the single most important thing to have.

I assume you have read the Network Configuration part of the documentation on the first post?

To help diagnose the problem, could answer these short questions:

• when you are testing the ports, is only the DedicatedServerLauncher running, or do you also have some other server or client running?
  • have you tried to temporarily disable the Windows Firewall when doing the test
  • what type/brand of router do you use, how is your server connected to your router (wired, wifi, …)
  • what are the specs of the server machine (operating system, amount of memory, type of disk drive, network card model)

Hey @Toolguy,

I have a code for Windows Server 2012, will I get any big benefits by upgrading (downgrading?) my machine from Windows 10 to Server 2012?

I’ve never worked with it before and I would love to learn more about it and optimizing it for hosting games like Conan Exiles and Minecraft along side it (currently running 3 Mineraft servers as well).

Hello, today I had an issue that I have never had. Before the reboot, the reboot message in game and in Discord has been send each time 2 times. I have changed nothing news on the settings. Is it a now issue ?

I’m not sure that would bring any real perceptible difference in term of performance, but the Windows Server versions are designed to not reboot the machine at the worse possible time, so if you want a stable installation that could be a real benefit :slight_smile:

It’s a known issue, it happens from time to time, it will eventually be fixed, but I spent so much time on the mod update part that unfortunately fixes to the Launcher will have to wait a bit (I got a huge pile of other things to do, and some of these are really critical and can’t suffer delays).

Hopefully it’s not a blocker for you, just imagine that the tool is like this guy who keep telling you things he already told you, he is a bit annoying but he’s not a bad guy :smiley:

Ok no problem ) We can wait. It’s not critical. A bit more critical for the max count player issue, but with locking the ini file in read only help until it’s fixed :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great, maybe I should do that then! I’ve noticed it will shutdown on me quite often and it drives me crazy!!!
Thanks for the quick feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have this message in server log screen. What does it means?
“LogOnline:Warning: STEAM: Empty session setting GameMode : OnlineService : -1 of type String”

Im really sorry if im hijacking or whatever. but i have 2 questions,

1. can this be run under linux?
  2. is there an UPTODATE linux install instructions. is the wiki uptodate?.

I cant afford to get another license of windows, and currently running a quad core/16 gig ram, setup that would work just fine for CE - and i really liked the look of the server tool!

So recently a new problem cropped up:
Sometimes (not always!) the server seems to get stuck shutting down. The log says it did shut down but then it just stays there until the Conan Exiles “Close this window to shutdown the server” window is closed manually.

I’m not 100% positive on when exactly this started happening, but it could potentially have been around the same time I switched from version 1.0.35 to 1.0.38. I downgraded to 1.0.35 for now and will see if that fixes/changes anything. In the meantime, has anyone else using 1.0.38 (or an older version) experienced similar issues?

I’m still using 1.0.35 and I don’t have this problem.

As far as I know, it’s some diagnostic message that started to appear in the server logs a few versions ago, I signaled it, but I was told that did not indicate any particular problem.

Well, the problem is mostly that the Game Server itself does not exist in Linux version, so having the launcher tool run on Linux would probably not be that useful.

I’ve heard that some people did somewhat managed to use Wine to get the server running, but there was apparently many problems, including the SteamCMD updates, etc…

Considering my tool is 100% C++/Win32, there is some probability that it also can run in Wine, but it’s not something I’m actively supporting simply because I do not the time for it.

That being said, if you give a shot at it, and it looks like it’s 99% working but you encounter some very specific issue, I may take a look at it. No promise, but that’s as good as I can do :slight_smile:

I doubt it’s related to the versions of the launcher, basically the only differences between 1.0.35 and 1.0.38 are about 5 lines of code change related to debugging message and parsing of time stamps in the code the process mod updates.

Most probably a server side issue, I’m asking one of the guy if he has seen that, but if other among you have noticed shutdown issues recently, that would be interesting to know.

Thanks for reporting :slight_smile:

Well thankyou for the response, ive followed the guide on the wiki,
And i have most of it set up - Wine is giving me some issues, but ill fix those shortly.

I have a startup script that automatically validates and downloads mod updates (and core server files) at every server start, and working on getting an automated backup script running.
I have had this working previously near launch.
The wiki is slightly outdated, the repositories for WINE are no longer correct.

I will give the server a test once i have everything working satisfactory.
I do think a native tool for linux would have been ideal, for many reasons. Hoping it is something you can revisit at some point of perhaps CE becomes even more popular. :slight_smile:

so thankyou for the response and the work on your tool. the tool is a great boon for anyone just wanting to set up a dedicated server very quickly. and i do have a pc i can use it with. just… … wifey is using it… so… yeaahh :slight_smile: