Conan Exiles Dedicated Server Launcher (Official Version: 1.7.5 / Beta: 1.7.8)

For that “every time” part at least, we have something in the works. The launcher currently in testing, and soon active on testlive, has a continue functionality which should work also for direct connect.

2 Likes

Hello guys, I try to make a dedicated server after doing the port forwarding it keeps say : The testing of the port was not successful:

Timed out waiting for data on localhost:7777:UDP

Timed out waiting for data on localhost:7778:UDP

Timed out waiting for data on localhost:27015:UDP

Any solutions?

I notice the UDP; have you done the port forwarding on both udp AND tcp?

Other than that, the common culprits are:

• ISP that does not actually support this type of thing, probably worth checking first
  • IP of the machine changing after a reboot so the forwarding goes to the wrong place
  • Other modems or routers that also need to be configured
  • Firewall blocking access
  • Anti-Virus

I activate both of them TCP and UDP, I have 1 router, and static ip, firewall is off, same with the anti-virus…

And about the ISP, I tried to make the server on 3 different computers from my friends.

Thank you for the heads up. All four of our machines at home have to go through this step and at first it was fine but it quickly got old.

So any ideas?

Not really any other idea, I would suggest joining the Admin discord and ask there if anyone can come up with a suggestion, https://discord.gg/UCuMS5d

(Btw, I assumed you were not trying to run anything else on the machine, like other games, or the client, etc… that you get the not successful test with just the server launcher running)

I am looking for some general guidance or maybe an ear if nothing else for assurance.

Sometimes the server crashes, I understand - likely mod related, wouldn’t be surprised. I am meaning to dive into it. And quickly on that point, when I look in logs folder and filter by recent, I see the ‘Dedicated servier 1.x.x.x’ log. That only seems to show the basic notifications that the server started or stopped - nothing granular

And after is the boostrap log which is well over a week since last update, and yet the server has been on/off multiple times - therefore that doesn’t seem like a file worth looking into

In summary I only find one active log(as mentioned above) and it doesn’t say much - which ones should I really be looking into? Where are the dmps?
-=-=-

Anyways, my main query at the moment is that when the server does crash, I get a notification Conan SandboxServer Win 64 … has stopped working.
Effectively a generic error from Windows.

The issue is that it’s prompting me to end or wait. And a result it stays there not responding, which means the server won’t restart even though the setting to auto restart or (start if not running) is enabled

Is there a way to flag in windows/settings that it force closes a program and bypasses the prompt?
Or can the Server launcher tool have a force shutdown flag for when the server effectively hangs?

That would help a lot otherwise we have to constantly watch it (or worse get a notice from someone that the server is down again)!

Does anyone else get this? Any suggestions to work around it? Maybe a custom script that can execute when server closes (though as above the thing is it doesn’t know it’s closed as it’s hanging)

Thank you, though it’s not the Server Launcher app that crashes, it’s the Conan server executable.
Therefore I don’t want a script to rerun it
Maybe I can still write one to kill it if it hangs for more than X time

These are not the server logs, they are the Dedicated Server Launcher logs, you can access the actual game server logs by clicking the bottom left blue icon.

• \DedicatedServerLauncher\Logs ← Dedicated Server Launcher (and Steam CMD) logs
  • \DedicatedServerLauncher\conanexilesdedicatedserver\ConanSandbox\Saved\Logs ← game logs
    That one is where you find all the ConanSandbox.log and eventually the subfolders with the crash reports.

I had requests to add a “watchdog” to automatically kill the server if it gets stuck on shutdown/restart, but I guess technically this is more or less in the same category of server failure that makes the server unusable.

Does anyone know of a foolproof way to detect that the server is crashed or frozen?

I’ve actually never see the server crash with the “generic error dialog”, it’s supposed to have its own proper crash reporter, so that would mean that somewhat some parts of the code are not handled by the exception handler.

Now that you know where the logs are supposed to be, could you look and see what it was writing to it before it crashed and burn?

Hi Toolguy, thank you for clarifying and I am checking out those logs now

What would be interesting is whether this crash (not blaming your tool) occurs when the launcher is not used, meaning the old style /organic way of running the Conan server through a manual command line and/or basic batch file. The aim being that when it does crash, does it give the same generic error about not responding.

I suspect it does.

I’ve been reading up more on using Powershell now and I’m close I think to a form of a watchdog, at least in the sense it queries any processes (or a specific PID) that is in a not responding state - say every ten minutes. If it finds one, it runs a KILL command

However upon testing this script it did not work as it doesn’t actually think the program is not responding. The Get-Process returns a result that the program is still operating.

So…this was one of my concerns and why I mentioned whether you’d built something into or aim to build something into the launcher to do this very thing, but a bit more heavy handed in that for example as soon as it sees the server crash and go down, it immediately stops the process, checks it’s not already running and then restarts the server.

So yes would very much like a watchdog and kill built into your launcher

And for anyone who doesn’t want this behavior, it could be a toggled option?

Also, let’s not forget I may be using poor terminology here in that “not responding” is not the same as “suspended” and I wonder whether at the time of the generic error, the sandbox executable is a suspended state.

Any thing I should be searching for in particular in the log? “Shutdown?”

That’s easy to check:

• The command line is indicated in the first few lines of the game server log
  • You can quit the launcher after the server is started

So either start the server manually with the same parameters, or start the server with the launcher and quit it to let it crash by itself.

Regarding monitoring the process, I already have all the code to get the pid of the server, the window handle, etc… I’m just not sure of a 100% reliable way to detect the process is properly crashed or frozen, would be a shame to kill a server that just happen to be running on a potato machine and currently suffering from heavy memory swapping, for example.

That’s the issue my script has, as it’s likely looking for something that is not responding, rather than suspended, which I imagine the Sandbox client is in that state.

However for your point, maybe that’s why you could make it a toggled feature/option and advise it’s an experimental feature.

This would likely only be used by persons who have issues with crashing servers anyways right?

Or, consider the option of the scheduled restart - possibly within that can be a further option for force shutdown all Conan processed before scheduled restarting. Then that way, if a server had hung say an hour or two prior, the restart would resolve the not responding application instance(due to the process kill toggled on).

That’s at least a middle ground for now?

=-=

Also what keywords am I checking the logs for concerning crashes? “Crash” and “Error” are either very generic or focus a lot around when clients join and time out, which isn’t helpful
Where would I find entries about unintended server or application exits for example?

That would just be what happened at the end of the log before the final crash report summary.

This would likely only be used by persons who have issues with crashing servers anyways right?

Which is basically everybody, at least at some point.
Generally speaking, for the launcher I try to implement things that work out of the box for everybody, because adding checkboxes and custom options just makes the tool harder to use/explain.

The bottom line is, I will try to find a way to detect a stuck/crash/unresponsive server.

Right now, the case of “the server crashed, sent a report and quit” is already handled, if you have the “start server if not running” it will automatically get restarted.

The two issues I have are a variant of the same case:

• The server was supposed to quit (a shutdown or restart was requested) but for some reason it got stuck, possibly in a mutex, or a crash dialog, etc…
  • The server is supposed to be running, but it stopped, so same case as above

If I can find a reliable way to detect a non behaving server, that would easily handle both cases, the question is to find reliable metrics.

• Could monitor the last time since the log updated, but some people filter out the spam log, so that does not really help
  • Could monitor the last time the game db was touched
  • Could ping the server “are you alive?”
  • Any other idea?

Game DB seems reasonable, as it’s pretty frequent as well - polls five minute intervals?

why i click to download current version or beta version and nothing happens?

No idea, I just tried and it worked for me.
Which web browser are you using, and in which part of the world are you located?
Maybe for some reason the CDN (Content Delivery Network) is suffering an outage in your area?

Same here it doesn’t let me download anything. No page opens, no download starts, nothing…when I right click open in new tab it opens a tab but closes almost instantly. I’m in USA and using chrome.

UPDATE: seems to download just fine in my edge browser…dunno but I’m going to keep moving on…hopefully this is easy and I do not need any assistance lol.

:crazy_face:

Hmm…

:thinking:

Hmm…

:cold_face:

Is it a popup thrown by the Dedicated Server Launcher, or by the actual game server?

1 Like