Conan Exiles Dedicated Server Launcher (Official Version: 1.7.5 / Beta: 1.7.7)

:crazy_face:

Hmm…

:thinking:

Hmm…

:cold_face:

Is it a popup thrown by the Dedicated Server Launcher, or by the actual game server?

1 Like

Can you show the content of the Launcher log? (At the bottom, on the tabs on the right side)

Could you try to install the launcher in a folder without space, like instead of “C:\users\sweet potato” something like “C:\ConanServer” just to see?

Also, do you have a E: drive at all?

Only thing I can think of is to try to “validate” the install, but after that, I’m out of idea.
I’ve never, ever, seen this particular error, so I guess maybe join the server admin discord and ask there if anyone has seen that one.

I’m not sure, Exiles has a lot of log spam, and I’m not going to poke the colleagues on a Sunday evening :slight_smile: (I’m not on the Exiles team, I’m only maintaining the tool)

Well, that was the good thing to do, just bad luck you managed to get one issue I’ve never seen before !

Actually, if you could somewhat make a video capture that shows the problem, like capturing the starting of the tool, launching, patching, up to the point where the e: popup appears, that would make it easier to show people to ask if they have any idea of what could cause that.

Maybe not important, just something I noticed since using the tool way back when and the system load in the gui is always noticeably higher than what Windows reports.

I thought maybe it was a delay, such as the CPU did spike to 89% though unless my eyes deceive me, after monitoring for a while that does not seem to be the case.

Where is it getting this performance % from?

The function I’m calling is doing similar to what is shown on this old Code Project article:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/9113/Get-CPU-Usage-with-GetSystemTimes

1 Like

Still a mysterious thing.

Ok, bonus question, on this machine, have you ever connected a mobile phone, or do you happen to have a memory card reader installed?

Just for a test, could you try to do something horrible like:

• Open a CMD shell
  • Type: SUBST E: C:\

normally you should see a E:\ drive appear on the machine (basically pointing at the same content as your C: drive, but you could SUBST to some safe subfolder that contains nothing) see if that helps appeased the server?

Hey guys, having an issue after the update. Start up Dedicated Server Launcher, start my server, and after 5 minutes it stops the server automatically. I pulled this from my log file:

[2021.03.16-15.59.08:693][ 12]LogWindows:Error: === Critical error: ===
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:693][ 12]LogWindows:Error:
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:693][ 12]LogWindows:Error: Fatal error: [File:C:\B\tech_exiles\code\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\UObject\ScriptCore.cpp] [Line: 435]
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:693][ 12]LogWindows:Error: Unknown code token 80
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:693][ 12]LogWindows:Error: AB_human_male_C /Game/Maps/ConanSandbox/ConanSandbox.ConanSandbox:PersistentLevel.PersistentHumanoidNPC_C_55.CharacterMesh0.AB_human_male_C_17
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:694][ 12]LogWindows:Error: Function /Game/Master_AnimBP/AB_human_male.AB_human_male_C:HandleInvetorySwitch:0096
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:694][ 12]LogWindows:Error: Script call stack:
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:694][ 12]LogWindows:Error: Function /Game/Master_AnimBP/AB_human_male.AB_human_male_C:WeaponBlendspaceEquip
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:694][ 12]LogWindows:Error: Function /Game/Master_AnimBP/AB_human_male.AB_human_male_C:HandleInvetorySwitch
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:694][ 12]LogWindows:Error:
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:694][ 12]LogWindows:Error: !0x0000000000000000
[2021.03.16-15.59.08:703][ 12]LogExit: Executing StaticShutdownAfterError
[2021.03.16-15.59.09:331][ 12]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
[2021.03.16-15.59.09:331][ 12]Log file closed, 03/16/21 08:59:09

Any help? I’m lost. :frowning:

Well, it’s not the launcher that stopped the server, it’s the server that stopped after crashing, which could be caused my many things (mods order or compatibility, game db content, etc…)

No matter what we try, make sure first that you have proper backups of your gamedb (I assume you have setup that) so you always have a version with all the content.

Now, regarding what causes the crash, I can’t help, so my suggestions would be to post that on the actual game crash threads, or possibly ask on the server admins discord.

1 Like

Ok, I also get that when I try with an existing drive letter, so somewhat windows believe there is a E: drive, but it can’t be accessed.

I assume you tried to install all the windows updates, and reboot the machine?

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. First time on the forums, didn’t know where else to ask.

This makes me wonder - sure it was asked prior - with the recent additions of the tabs to the GUI/applicaton, is there a way to for it to check the streaming data/log and highlight which mod (or whether it was at least mod related) caused start up error?

It’s really frustrating after a game update and you have to go through twenty mods removing five at a time, starting up the server, checking it’s working - no, OK remove another five, restart server and on and on till you finally find which one(s) are at fault.

If you can come up with a working strategy, I can investigate, but at first glance I don’t see an easy way of detecting/associating a startup error with the mods, if that was easy, I think the game would already implement that :slight_smile:

You just jinxed it! :scream:

Well I’m not sure about the launcher functionality but as of 2.3 I can now click “join” in the server browser on my local server to logon once again!

1 Like

Easter Bunny special version for you people. :egg: :rabbit: :chocolate_bar:

1.4.0 (24 march 2021)

• The “Launcher” log tab now has the date and time displayed for each entry in the log (local time)
  • The RCon connection now has a 10 seconds timeout, to avoid the tool to stay stuck in case of bad connection (or server stuck), and the error messages are now properly sent to the launcher log instead of being printed to stderr
  • A new “Zombie Check” checkboard and delay has been added: When enabled it will automatically try to kill the process if the monitored input/output data has not changed for a specified amount of time
    Dedicated Server Launcher 1.4.0

First, a warning: I’m not able to get the server to freeze or get stuck like some of you got on shutdown, so all I did was to “simulate” using tools like SysInternals “Process Monitor” that has a “Suspend” feature, or getting the server stopped in the debugger, so that may or may not be representative of what happens when the server is stuck.

How’s it’s working:

• I regularly call a Win32 function called ‘GetProcessIoCounters’ which returns how many IO operations have been done by the process
  • If two consecutive calls contains different values, then it means the server is at least “doing something”
  • It the content has not changed in more than a specific amount of time, then it’s considered as a zombie.

Obviously this approach will fail horribly if the server is only half broken, like for example it still writes to disk, or still answers on the network, while being otherwise “not really working”, so we may have to work on the heuristics if that does not work.

So, how do you enable that?

So first, the “Start server if not running” has moved from the “Automatic Restart” to the top of the UI, and instead you get two new controls:

• A “Zombie Check” box
  • A “Time Selector”

Using these two you can enable the automatic zombie check.

And in the “Launcher” tab, you have the messages that indicate when a Zombie process has been detected, and when the execution is planned for.

This information is also repeated in the status bar.

I wanted to spend more time on it, but since a long easter break is happening, it made sense to me to try to get you the version as fast as possible so you could enjoy a “stuckless” experience.

That’s assuming it works, and that’s where you come in: If you are one of the persons who had their server get stuck, please test the version and tell me if it works, and if not, then please tell what the problem is, if it’s the timing not working, spurious detection, or if simply the launcher never flag the process as “Zombie”.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I can’t download the app from this webpage. I click on version 1.3.8 and nothing happens. Same with 1.4.0. Are the links broken? How do you download the app?

I’m using Google Chrome and clicking the link won’t start the download. I just reset all browser settings to default and it still doesn’t work. I used Microsoft Edge and it downloaded just fine. I’m just putting that out there in case anyone else has problems with Chrome.