Conan Exiles Dedicated Server Launcher (Official Version: 1.7.5 / Beta: 1.7.7)

Hello, I have a question regarding the server ports.
In descripton it is written, that the ports can be changed to 7779, 7780, 27016.
This I can do when the server is running and it is fine.
But when I try to put this in the engine.ini, the whole section is deleted with the next server start and the ports revert to standard.

I mean this section:

[URL]
Port=7777
[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
GameServerQueryPort=27015

So, I could not find this behaviour in the documentation, why is this section always deleted when the server starts ?

What I did as a workaround was to make the engine.ini read only, but this can not be the solution I guess ?

Thank you

You need to detail what you are doing exactly, and what else is running at the same time.

Basically the game server loads the ini files on startup, it removes what it does not like, or the values that match the defaults, and then it rewrites the ini file. The ini file rewrite also happens when the in-game admin panel is used.

What that mean, is that any change to the ini files done in the mean-time will be ignored and lost when the server does the rewrite.

The Dedicated Server Launcher detects the changes made to the ini files and automatically reload them, overwriting anything in the UI, the launcher itself does not delete anything: Any thing is loaded and kept in memory in the proper sections, in the exact same order.

What I wanted was to change the ports, as I play with a client and a server on the same PC.
In the first article of this thread it is described were the changes should be done.

You find this section under MULTIHOME

The point is here:

How this works:

• The “Game Client Port” and the “Steam Query Port” are now editable, and their content gets saved in the Engine.ini:
[URL]
Port=7777
[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
GameServerQueryPort=27015

1st Step: Launcher/Server are stopped:

When I open my engine.ini, this section does not exist.

So I create this section here. With the wanted values.

[URL]
Port=7779
[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
GameServerQueryPort=27016

Step 2)
When I now start the Server launcher, it takes this ports and all is fine.

Step 3)
When I start the server itselfs, the ports fall back to default.
When I look into the engine.ini again, this section has been deleted.

When I follow your description, this should not happen, as the Port/GameServerQueryPort values were changed and not default any more!

The other way I started with was to change the 3 values in the server launcher when the server is stopped and press the save button. When I relaunch the server starter the values are still there. but as soon as I start the server, the ports revert to default. The only way to change is to do this when the server is running, then he takes the values and I can connect with the new ports. But with every restart of the server I have to do this again.

So I wrote the “missing” section into the engine.ini with the wished ports, set the file to read-only and now the server starts with the correct values.

I do not think it is intention that this section is deleted when it has other then default values with every server start, I guess this is a bug!

Could I describe clear enough, what I want to do and what are the steps ?

You can reproduce this easy:
Make a fresh installation, and try to change the Game ports, it will reset them allways.

Thank you for your help, I will try to repeat all the steps this evening after work and take carefully in account your description how it works once more to make sure I have no error in one of my steps.

It is as I told.

Even the normal way:

1. Server & launcher stopped
  2. Serverlauncher started
    3)Change Gameport in Launcher

4)Save Changes → The entry is made in engine.ini by this

5)Start server - > The just made entry with the new port numbers is deleted in engine.ini

I cannot believe this is the intended behaviour.

This way you have to change the port every time again you restart the server

I downloaded 1.5.1 from the page, and did exactly that:

On the top left is the Engine.ini file after I was done deploying the server.
The second one is after changing to 7779 and 27016
The third one is after starting the server again (it removed the empty password and tick rate).

Can you tell me:

• Which version of the launcher you used (I assume 1.5.1?)
  • Which version of windows
  • Where is the launcher installed on disk (path)
  • Did you do anything fancy like running in administrator mode, etc…
  • Do you have some anti-virus on the machine (other than Windows Defender)
  • Anything “non standard” you can think of.

Hello Toolguy,

thank you for coming back to me.

I experience this with the Official version & the beta version of the launcher. But, as the lines are deleted by the server (if I understood right) & not the launcher, I guess this should make no difference.

I have a windows 10 pro system last build german and am not aware of doing fancy things - the exact build number I can tell in the evening when I am back home.

the launcher is installed on e:… (have to look at home for the exact path)

Have no antivirus except the windows tools

But after you validated my steps showing a different result, I guess I will set up a second windows system to cross check…

Will come back to you, after I have done.

Thank you for support!

1 Like

Hello Toolguy,

yesterday I set up a the server on a new windows 10 machine. What should I say…
It works as it should, meaning their must be indeed something weired with my main machine causing this behaviour to the server. Maybe I will look further to find out, but for the moment it works as it should. The more as I planned to put the server on a extra machine. So I set up 2 conan servers, one for each map. This works perfect!

Thank you for your patience and your support.

BTW, is it normal that you get a couple of errors about a few missing files in the log?
and what is strange, when you create a new char,the intro scene shows always a man with white hairs instead of the newly created char ?

Well, I’m glad it works as expected on the second machine, but I would be very interested to know if you manage to find what makes the other machine behave differently, because I’ve really no idea :slight_smile:

Even a vanilla-freshly installed Exiles unfortunately has quite a long list of warnings and errors in the logs, but for actual game issues like that, I have to refer you to the normal support team, or you could alternatively ask on the various Exiles related Discord channels like the “Conan Modding” and the “Admins United” one, where people generally know more about these things than I do.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Have a nice weekend. Should I find out what the problem was I will give feedback here.

1 Like

Trying to install this on a windows server 2019. When I use the tool it installs all the files but then it comes up with " Error " The following components are required to run this program Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime Direct X Runtime. I went to visual c++ runtime and it doesnt list 2019 as something it supports. Do I have to use an older os? Im lost as I want to use the tool so I can auto update etc

Yeah, the launcher itself does not have any dependencies on these things, but the game server requires some direct x and visual studio runtime stuff, which I believe you can install with the UE4 prerequisites

(It used to be on https://dl.conanexiles.com/exiles/DedicatedServerLauncher/UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe but it’s not there anymore, trying to figure out why, maybe it’s not required anymore?)

Thanks. I got it to work. If I decided to host 2 conan servers on 1 box can I run this application twice to do so?

Hello @Toolguy ,

currently we have another problem with multihome function. Our dedicated server has multiple IPs, one of them is a tunnel.

The correct network adapter is selected and the server is also reachable with the IP (other IP), but only via direct connection. Connecting with serverbrowser in Conan not work. It’s listed, but when you click on it, it connect to the default IP 88.198.X.X.

Do you have any idea to solve this problem?

Log from whireshark from my client:
Screenshot_1

DSL Settings:
Screenshot_2

Serverbrowser from my client:
Screenshot_3

Could you detail what you did, so I can help more efficiently next time it happens to somebody else?

If I decided to host 2 conan servers on 1 box can I run this application twice to do so?

As long as they are all in a separate folder, you can run as many as you want side by side.
Obviously that also implies that you need to have different sets of ports for each machine, and that you all port forward them, etc…

Actually I do.

I did check the multiple interface thing, but that was basically using two internal cards in my machine, which meant they used the same external IP, I never actually tested the tunneling with two different external IPs.

For that to work, I basically need to change a bit of code so my cURL access to fetch the external IP from the external server explicitly specify which network interface to use.

Not difficult, but that means I need to change some code, build a new version and have you test it.

1 Like

That sounds very good. Thank you very much for your work and for listening to our requests.

I am always available for testing :wink:

1 Like

Hey. I’m having some trouble with the server settings sticking. For example, whenever I change the Server Name in the Launcher, then hit save changes, the name never changes for the server, and when the server restarts it resets the name back to the original. Is there a way to fix this?

The original versions of the launcher disabled the edit fields when the server was running, exactly for this reason: The server sometimes overwrites the files, and it does not load first whatever was modified in the file since it was last started.

For this type of change, the safest (to get them stick) is to shutdown the server, then change the values, save them and then start the server again.

Yeah… I had figured that might solve the issue, but after shutting down, changing them, then starting back up. It still resets the server name. I’ve tried making the ini read only, which I did change back once that did not work either. I’ve also tried shutting the server down, changing it, saving it, closing the launcher and then reopening it, and trying to start up then, still resets it back to the original name.

This is weird…

You are 100% certain that the server is actually properly stopped, that there’s no lingering process lurking in the background?

Are you trying to use fancy characters in the server name? Could you try something simple like “Dreams test server name”, save, open the ini file and make sure it’s still there, close the launcher and restart it and check if it’s still there?

Alright. So after checking some background processes that seemed to still be running Conan, then restarting the launcher and changing it, the change stuck. So thank you! Man I was getting so frustrated xD

1 Like