Conan server Cpu performance

So I was working with a community on a conan server with low mods and any time more than 20 players logged on the server ping and server fps went to crap. I know that the cpu had 224 cores but conan only ran on 2 of those cores the clock speed was 3.0 ghz the usage on those 2 cores was at 100%.
server spec on old server
Dell R620
2x E5-2690 10C10L 3.0GHz
128GB DDR3
500GB NVMe SSD
10Gb SFP+ NIC

With all that said I am wondering if a 10700k processor clocking at 5.0 ghz would improve server performance and reduce the hit on server ping and server fps/tickrate to handle up to 70 players.

I’m looking at building my own server so I’m trying to figure out the best hardware to use thanks for any feedback.

Is that how many cores or threads in the cores ?? Also How many cpus are actually parked. I just learned how to turn on all cores the right way the other day through msconfig. I know you are talking about a server so there probably is no msconfig or anything but my point is I think you have to enable more cores to run or they will just stay parked.

I only have 4 cores and am running W10 so I can go to msconfig and make sure my computer is using all 4 cores all the time instead of having 1 or 2 cores parked and only running off the others. I would think there is some way you could tell the server to use more cores than what it is. I hope that made sense, lol.

Like many UE4 games, Conan relies on mostly a single core. Epic didn’t REALLY start to care about multicore CPU performance until after Fortnite blew up.

So ya, the faster the better.

Could probably get away with disabling cores and then overclocking the one or two cores you have open.

sorry i miss remembered it had 2 of these

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3 2.60GHz 12-Core LGA 2011

SPECIFICATIONS:

Manufacturer: Intel
Processor Type: Intel Xeon
Model Number: E5-2690 v3
Socket Type: LGA 2011-3/Socket R3
Number of Cores: 12
Threads Count: 24
Base Frequency: 2.60 GHz
Bus Speed: 9.6 GT/s QPI
Cache Size: 30 MB SmartCache
Thermal Design Power: 135 W
Maximum Memory Supported: 135 W (dependent on RAM architecture)
Turbo Boost Technology: 2.0
Turbo Frequency: 3.50 GHz
Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x): Yes
Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel VT-d): Yes

That would explain the 20 player limit. Its a very underpowered CPU. Having two of them is the same as one. As Multigun pointed out, the servers only use a single core.

Your best bet is to get the highest Base Frequency you can find, turn off all but two cores and then OC it as far as it will go and still be stable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.