[Critical Bug][Xbox One X] Game shuts down console when opening a chest

Hey there,

I am merging threads reporting crashes on Xbox One X (involving opening chests) into this thread.
Thank you for your feedback!

Cheers

1 Like

Just downloaded the patch and it still crashes when trying to open a weapon chest. Completely shuts down my xbox one x. Same thing happened with Fallout 76 and that was patched a week after launch. It’s just terrible code, a shame cause this game was fun for the 1 hour that I could actually play it haha.

1 Like

This is still being looked into, but the dev team knows it’s a critical bug that needs to be fixed as quickly as possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate that we now have a response. You know if someone likes your game if he/she is taking the hussle to hard reset the console after each chest to be able to progress in the story.
You may want to update the status of the bug fix from time to time?

1 Like

Just to add that I had this happen when adding a chest but also midway through a battle so I don’t think it’s just opening a chest that causes it (although hopefully the underlying issue is the same so it is just one bug).

Would be great to get an update on progress as it’s stopped me from playing the game at all.

There was a bug fix yesterday but unfortunately it did not address our bug that crashes the console when opening a chest. But anyway here is the list of fixed bugs:

Some more info on the bug. It appears that the shut down always happens for me if I open a chest with head or body armor, not if I open a weapon chest. With a weapon chest the bug appears sometimes not. Hope this info helps to find the root cause.

1 Like

Another patch and still no fix. Doesn’t appear to be a priority to the devs. I really wanted to play this but I think it’s time to delete and move on, shame.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve deleted it too, will revisit in a few weeks/months and see if they have fixed it.

Will try anither attempt to work around the bug. My game was installed on an external drive. I have now moved it to internal. Hopefully it helps. If so I will report, if not I will report too but in a different mood.

Edit:
Did not help at all :confused:

I’ve been running into this too, I think it might be related to smoke effects? It usually triggers when I open chests but I’ve also gotten it when using the gaper on robotic enemies.

I never used that. I try that out. That is a good hint especially for the devs where to look into!

Still not fix? Shame!

Come on devs, it’s such a great game and I’d really like to do other runs on higher difficulties with Iron Man on without having my poor console crashing at any moment. Most of the time it happened just after loading up a save, but sometimes in the middle of an intense battle too… (no issues when opening chests) Didn’t count them, but easily 30+ crashes until I reached Eden. Please? Pretty pretty please? :persevere:

I would love a quick fix too but devs have holidays too, so I don’t expect them back to business until beginning of next week.

This game is available on the Xbox Live game pass at the moment.
Sadly the opening chests crash bug is preventing me from making any meaningful progress.

Some influential youtubers have been showcasing this game (albeit on PC) raising its profile. such a shame this major issue ruins the enjoyment.

its been almost a month since the bug was raised. I’d have thought this would be a priority…

It’s pretty disappointing it’s still not been fixed. I think it’s a fairly small team and the game is awesome but it really could have used another month of QA/bug testing as it is riddled with problems that even basic testing ought to have picked up.

I’ve just shelved it for now, fingers crossed I can pick it back up at some stage in the next couple of months.

I totally can comprehend this. I was pointed to the game by the praise of WindowsCentral and the fact it was already on Game Pass. Even I experience the bug every time I like it so much that I save before a chest, then hard reset the Xbox, Turn it on again and then open the chest. At least for me it allows me to open one chest a time. I even was lucky with some weapon chests that did not cause the shutdown but it is more random, so I do the above procedure for every chest. Reached level 42 with this method.

Hello there, I’m playing on a regular One X, having the same problem as everybody else. My console has always had a temperamental blower fan, constantly adjusting its speed according to the load the GPU has.
As far as I can tell, right before the console shut itself down, there is a sudden fan spin up, like a quick burst.
So, it is very well possible that inside the gpu there is an overload that instantly raise the temperatures above the safety threshold and thus the console shut itself down, as the raise is so sudden that the thermal dissipation system cannot react fast enough.
I have also the strong suspect that the overload is caused by the smoke effect that happens when a player opens the chests and I bet that removing said effect will solve the problem.

I can confirm that hitting the Xbox button when opening a chest mitigates the issue. I did have the problem in combat when killing a med bot (High Road). So yet more credence to the ‘effects’ being the cause I would say. We need this fix though as keep dropping into the main Xbox menu ruins the surprise effect of opening chests and therefore some of the immersion IMO.

That said, I’m back playing and enjoying the came for now!

discovered that:

1. A silent weapon for each team member is essential
  2. I hate shamans
  3. I hate med bots more
1 Like