Crom Coin Alternatives & Debate (Poll)

Personal preference:

Crom Coins as an in game reward, for Battle Pass, ect… But not for sale.

Direct purchase or Crom Coins used for the Bazaar.

Edit: After all, Crom values striving and conflict, not commerce and transaction.

3 Likes

This is one of the reasons I (somewhat wickedly, thanks for noticing, @drukuku) suggested an e-currency. A veritable problem with today’s society is that our real-life currency is fiat, or caprice. It’s made up.

When I received my powerhouse of a PS3, I quickly partitioned it and installed Yellow Dog Linux. It was and is a masterpiece. It unlocked upgrades in my human interface. It involved me in Open Source.

For the standard consumer, the PS3 also had a neat “democratizing” hook called Folding@Home. During our idle times, if we left our PS3s on, we’d contribute to the master computing power that was working on a puzzle, and cracking the human genome. All of this spoke to me, about the power of the goodness of what we do.

This is where your question comes in, @stelagel. In the beginning of cryptocurrencies, you could use a simple linux machine to – just like Folding@Home – work on solving a difficult equation or math problem. Every time a piece of the problem gets solved, everyone gets paid a portion of a currency, in this case CatCoin. But if I solve an entire chain all on my own … I get an entire CatCoin! This is the essence of Mining.

In my case, I dedicated a lot of power and energy on my own mining efforts. I don’t do it now because it is not environmentally responsible. But when I can install a good solar system, you bet I’ll start up again.

When we play Conan Exiles, only one of our many processors is occupied, and I know my GPU is at about 55%. There’s not a lot of headroom for the actual math problems to be “hashed out” while playing, but playtime could contribute to a fractional value in other ways.

I won’t bore you further with it. It’s a good idea and a terrible one, depending on your view of crypto. As an independent miner and participant in the underpinnings of the system it ain’t half bad.

4 Likes

It’s the mechanics of the proof of work that is interesting, even in microtransactions.

1 Like

I’m playing a survival game right now where everything is sort of apocalyptic, but twisted. On this Croatian Prison Island, cash is occasionally found in trash barrels. An empty water bottle is 55 of them!

Wouldn’t it be great if they found a good use for gold and silver already in the game? I’d love it if we could a) Find/steal gold like normal b) Have to mint it c) Can mine and have critters poop it.

Once minted, these coins can be used in Black Lotus Bazaar. You can buy a pile of them with real-world Crom Coins.

1 Like

Honestly, this one would love the novelty of a real world Crom Coin. Minted in steel of course.

Alternatively, more in game uses for coin would be nice. The tea vendor in the Volcano is nice, but someone selling hardened steel, brimstone, or composite obsidian would be nicer. Especially for Brimstone, it would create an additional source and the awkward question of whether to spawn camp the merchant to cut off access or allow gold coin harvest to possibly fuel enemy pyrotechnics.

Having the Black Lotus Bizarre be an in game location would also be fun, put probably impractical. Only available in the lower parts of Seperemu at night, merchant can be slain like any other NPC. Roving city battles to determine which clan gets to spend their hard earned plunder this night.

3 Likes

Minting would put the player’s ID onto the coin, effectively their imprimatur. By default, only they or those clanned can spend these coins in the Bazaar. If an enemy steals their coin, they can only be turned into the Bazaar for a unique bounty, for instance a Pirate Helmet that can be upgraded with gems and cockades. The more kills, the more festooned the helm.

The owner may redeem their coins for a Bounty. Or negotiate with the thief/killer.

2 Likes

Every Game Company Listen To Feedback about there new feature…

And None of them Change it.

there gonna listen to there monetization expert tell them most player base wont care(cause they don’t know)… and they’ll pull trigger like everyone else. (I’m sure its Investors who over rule them on this anyway)

I doubt Funcom would be 1st ever in all of Game Industry to say no to there battle pass and stick to normal store.
One makes money… other makes a insane amounts of money.

The Cash Shop is what this game needed so long ago.

Anyway… The IDEA…

Rename Battle Pass to Seasons… Season One, is Sorcery Themed.
Throw Sorcery themed Items in Cash Shop.

Tier System can stay, but is meant to unlock Story elements and free consumables. (nothing that would be missable…) Toss in some Challenges at every 10 ranks.

It Should be Lure to bring people in…
The Cash Shop… the money maker.

Again… I’d rather give money for value of item… I Do Not Want to Over Pay for handful of items and trash and be thrown a time limit (no matter how easy it is to finish)

4 Likes

I do agree actually and I won’t go further to what this idea may become in a bad rolling.
But so far I will focus in some promises…

1. players that do not have the time to grind can purchase levels and items, which means…That players that do have the time to play, if they don’t want or can’t purchase, can have the same with others that purchased( in terms of power and not deco) .
  2. I would like a direct payment system, with or without ecoins (Crom coins) to extra contents.
    For example “hide your helmet option for 5 euro or 50 Crom”.

My wish?
I would like official servers with different settings on difficulty and building system but with monthly wage and admin care for rules. Playing in a server like this, once the month an admin sudden spectation and fine or ban the rule breaker.
This way builders of this game would choose their servers and nomad fighters their own.
All these to be arranged from the Ingame store.

Last but not least?
The ingame store to sell physical items too, like mugs or t-shirts. This way we could gift things to each other. Plus I want this store to work in this forum too.

About your idea @Barnes, again I am all in as long as it will be handled carefully and still be profitable for the game. The greatest reason for this “battle pass” is to keep this game alive, “the lights on” and I believe that is something we “all” want from players to employees :man_shrugging:.

2 Likes

:wink:

6 Likes

Just for me personally, a cash shop would be the most preferable method of purchase. I like to make my purchases a la carte, and when I feel like it.

That said, I am not strictly opposed to the idea of a Battle Pass. If it’s done properly. But as someone who also dabbles in cyber-security, I’m seeing too many analogies between “buy now or regret later” and “your bank account will be closed in 48 hours, click this link to keep it active”.

“Legitimate” marketing and scams both rely on the same mechanism - creating a sense of urgency in order to make people make hasty decisions. Even slower people, if given time to consider, will often recognize a scam, so they’re scared into thinking they need to act now, before it’s too late.

It’s a strategy that works, both in marketing and in scams, or it wouldn’t be used. It’s based on understanding how to manipulate the human mind. My personal humble opinion is that it’s kinda unethical even when it’s not illegal, which is why I cannot unconditionally support the planned version of a Battle Pass.

5 Likes

Prefer DLC/direct purchase and not some bp/fomo predatory tactics

6 Likes

Fake coins only purpose is to obfuscate spending cost and bypassing laws.

5 Likes

But why not making it 1cc=1cent?
So you can earn 1cc via playing or you buy just one cc for 1 cent or whatever it is in your value you have to pay in your psn or steam.

It’s like a supermarket would say you have to exchange your euros into our supermarket coins. But they only alow you to change 10 euro into 100 coins … But what if you only want buy something for 10 super market coins? You have to pay for 100 and maybe you will come back and give the rest for something else. But anyway you already give them the 10 euro.

I don’t see any problem to sell 1cc…
It’s only speculation because we don’t know now how they will sell the cc. But it sounds like you can buy packs of coins.

And also there would be no problem to say this item you can buy for 100cc or 1 euro. So you pay 1 euro or you play for the 100 cc.

What would be complicated in this case?
Exactly this system I saw once in a smartphone game… I don’t remember the name it’s long time ago. Also it was possible to put both together.
But no need for this complexity… It would be just fine to have a real money price and a game money price.

1 Like

Yeah, in the future you’ll love to buy the 3 armor skins and a partial building set. And piecemeal it’s only 20,000 Crom Coins! What a bargain!

(In real life, you just spent $20.00 USD for… a DLC that is currently $12-$15. Wow. The sucker born every minute works when you hide the numbers a little bit.)

3 Likes

But with those cards you have a bonus… That’s another strategy… So they let you come back to the shop. But why real world shops don’t do this buy our coins thing…because people don’t want it and it only will work if every shop change to a system like this.

They could make both…and can say if you pay with our coins then you get 1% rabatt…
That would be another story but you would have a benefit of that.

I don’t see any benefit to buy more cc than you need in this case.

Maybe something like this: 100cc for 9 euro…

At the shop an item for 10 cc or 1 euro.

1 Like

Increase sales is something else. This is increase of payment. Because when I pay 10 for something that costs only 1 then I have to wait for maybe something I want in future…

I don’t say that it’s not legal. I just don’t like such tactics and my desision is then that I don’t buy anything.
And that’s how it seems to be for me if I think I am not ok with this system.

From fifa 10 to fifa 20 I had every year the game… (since PES09 was the last good one from Konami)

Since fifa 20 i decided that I don’t give them any cent because I am not ok with their tactics to get money from mostly children aged players via lootboxes…

And I even never played fut… I played seasons with my home club or pro clubs with my friends :slight_smile:
I miss that a little bit but I don’t want to support this.

Sometimes it would be nice if people start thinking like that… If nobody goes to the war then we would have no war…(but the world works different :frowning: )

1 Like

That’s not a discount for future purchases, it’s just advance payment, you, for some reason, mask behind “discount”.

4 Likes

What free items? It’s not free you already payed for this items.
Its not buy 5 get one for free… Its buy 5 and get only 1 now and maybe you get something in future for the rest

I don’t see any discount in this strategy.

2 Likes

Not just here, all of your statements about monetization strategies.

No, you have been consistently taking the most unethical stances on everything. I am not sure if you are even serious anymore or just being a troll.

That is a good idea. I expect this forum would be a much nicer place if I added you to my ignore list.

4 Likes

Do you like the concept of selling Crom Coin packs, lets say the cheapest would be $5 US for 100 coins, $10US for maybe 210 coins etc. and:

Items in the shop are listed in the 75-90 coin range.

Sure, you can spend the $5 and buy the coin package to buy the one item you want, but then you have “change”. I know its not lost, but its just idly sitting there till the next item comes along you want. Then you have to put out another $5 to have enough. But then maybe you still are a bit short of the next purchase. It goes on and on like this, because they price items in “that range” so that you either have to pick one or the other item, or spend more money to get the $10US and still end up with “change”.

Thats exactly how its ran in PUBG (sorry its my only example because its the only game Ive used such a shop) and its exactly how it will end up here. You will always end up with left over coins from a purchase, thus at some degree, always putting more money into Funcom aka Tencents pocket. I guess each person can choose if they are ok with this or not and vote with their wallet. But Im curious what you think.

1 Like