Dear Funcom, stop listening to crybabies

I feel like there is way too much speculation about what “could” happen in terms of griefing with this change. I think it’s largely unfounded, there may be a handful of legitimate thrall spamming as a grief mechanic but I doubt it. It is still a far more time consuming ordeal to capture, break, and place a thrall compared to crafting foundations. And ultimately if someone is intent on griefing, they will. I’m personally glad they took feeding out and went to a decay system.

The thing here is, the feeding system doesn’t solve the thrall overpopulation problem. Either it’s too easy (the infamous “a few minutes per month”) so it doesn’t actually kill any thralls, or it’s too tedious, which makes the game less enjoyable - and who wants to make a game less enjoyable?

Same applies to decay timers. If refreshing bases and thralls is trivially easy, it won’t solve the overpopulation problem. If it’s too tedious, it makes the game less enjoyable.

And if these chores make the game too tedious, people will just quit. I’ve seen other MMOs with lots and lots of “dailies” or “weeklies” that leave little time to explore and enjoy the game.

What you really want is a hard limit on how many thralls people can have. Which may not be a bad idea on officials, and if it’s optional on private servers/solo/coop modes you need not take away anything from people who want to play SimCity - Hyborian Edition.

I second this, although not if it’s the insanely high limit that ARK: Survival Evolved has, I play that single player and I’m allowed 200 dinosaurs at a time. I’d say around 30-ish would be ideal, since you’d need to account for crafting thralls as well as your fighters and archers.

1 Like

Pretty sure for ARK, the 200 limit is per clan, 200 per player would be overkill in a clan. I’d say having separate limits for Thralls and Pets.

I don’t understand why this city life element was taken back. Speaking from the point of game design it is absolutely necessary to implement upkeeping mechanics. Really ridiculous how some people argue here that they don’t want to play the game and still have a legion of animals and thralls. This is cancer on official servers as well es the gigantic building spam.

1 Like

I agree, a mixt of all two, well toned would be fine.
Of course, with options for single/co-op, and privat servers, cause options are still great and help solve issues and discussions.

I think it would also be more immersive to have to feed them. Not overdone, that you can’t only think about that, and have to run all the time, that’s sure, but a good middle-way.

On the contrary, there’s already people on my server doing it.

2 Likes

I love your description of what goes on at your base. Animal House came to mind lol!

[quote=“Palm522, post:74, topic:58134”]
so if it only could take a few minutes per month , how exactly is that a chore that is preventing you to explore? or do anything? can you see how weak the “chore” argument is? [/quote]
What I actually said was that if it takes only a few minutes, it won’t help with your problem because thralls never die. It’s too easy to maintain the army like that.

If it’s more effort than that, then it becomes a chore.

Do you see my point now? Either it’s so easy that people maintain it anyway, or it’s so tediouos that people start thinking it’s a chore. If it doesn’t feel like a chore, it’s too easy and you’ll never see thralls die of starvation, and if it feel like a chore people lose enjoyment in the game.

Neither do I. I was suggesting a hard limit as a solution to Palm522’s problem, so the discussion won’t get stuck on just one aspect of how thralls can be limited. If there is a problem with thrall armies in PVE, and if we want to find a solution to that, then all avenues should be explored and discussed, even those we personally may not like.

Oh I don’t? I haven’t broken hundreds of them. It takes a lot longer to capture and break 1 thrall than it does to make 100 foundations.

I’ve played since launch, months without any system to cull thralls. The game didn’t come to a screeching halt and no one on the servers I played used thralls to grief.

My point remains, foundation spamming is still far faster if you’re looking to grief. Feeding thralls is just a hassle for those of us actually playing the game.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.