Decay Timer on Official Servers - POLL - YOUR VOTE NOW

Clan up. Stop playing solo.

1 Like

No.

11 Likes

To all people that think 6 days is enough, pray that you NEVER experiance any of these:

1. Hardware problems: (computer hardware issue, XBoX, Playstation malfunction, Funcom account issues): By the time your hardware is fixed, console came back from maintenance or Steam/Funcom sort your account problem your ENTIRE progress will be gone and nobody is gonna help you!

2. Work: Never work either! Eventually you might be needed to take a business trip, so working is bad!

3. Never get sick or injuried: Thats right, dont go out either, any agressive illness require you resting or some time in the hospital might not be lethal to you, but it will be to your progress. Everything will be wiped out when you come back!

4. Never take vacations with family: More than natural spend 6+ days away if you make any vacation trip. Trips to other countries are totally out of question! Travel and have some fun if you must, by the time you are back all progress will be long gone

The list could go on foreverā€¦ so basically, DONT HAVE A LIFE! Live in front of the computer and 6 days decay will be plentiful!

6 days is ridiculously short, people seem to forget problems can happen at any moment, even after a weekend you spent away. Say you stayed the weekend at your bf/gf place, thats 3 days away already. By the time you get home you realize your HD brokeā€¦ time to panic, you now only have 3 days to get a new one, install the game and log in ASAP!

direct recommendation back to Funcom: No need to reinvent the wheel, leave decay as it is. It serves itā€™s purpose well(except for the thralls ofc), it does what it supposed to do, it cleans the server. It was never meant to take into consideration individual needs.

Simply do what other games do, implement ā€˜vacation modeā€™. You can use it x times per year and it lasts x weeks, during that period you cannot login or it will be deactivated and your stuff is protected from decay and being raided.

Clan up.

I am sorry, but really. Find some friends to play with and make a clan and then you donā€™t have to worry about that. Itā€™s a bit unfair that we have a load of solo people on a pve server complaining about the issues that will resolve a bunch of problems that they donā€™t have to worry about because they play on a PVE server. Have completely separate patches for PVE servers I donā€™t care but please think outside of the scope of just you and think of the entire player base.

If you donā€™t want to find a clan or donā€™t want to log on and play for more then 30 minutes a day that is on you and not Funcom or the rest of the community.

2 Likes

2 Weeks please. All sorts of life happens. If someoneā€™s away for a death, business or whatever,time counts. Besides. Itā€™s fun, in a way, how building become ruins of sorts.
Are there any other polls on this, on other sites, that I can vote on? :wink:

Maybe we need 2 separate polls.
1 for pve 1 for PvP.
Going on the comments, pve players want it lengthened and PvP want it to stay as is.
Iā€™m a pve player so I would prefer 10 days or longer.
I have no interest in PvP in this game but can understand that combat with lag is a pain.
Separate polls might reflect this.

3 Likes

I proposed a suggestion to Funcom, the link is:

Just in case the link is not working I reproduce the text:
I play on an official server pvp. But play alone, without a clan, because is more challenger. The decay time is too short under these circumstances. I propose a modification in the calculation that consider solitaries players.

Total Time = D + C * (300*Log(L))

where:

D: Default Time in hours. Chosen by Funcom. For example 150 Hs
C: If the player is member of a clan C=0, if not C=1
L: Player Level
Log(L): is the logarithm in base 10 of the player level

For example:

1.- if the player is member of a clan: C=0 => Total Time=D if D is 150, Total Time is 150
2.- If the player play alone C=1. And if your level (L) is:

1 the Total Time=D
10 the Total Time=D+300 1=D+300 e.g. 450
30 the Total Time=D+300
1.48=D+444 e.g. 594
60 the Total Time=D+300*1.78=D+534 e.g. 684

I hope you have the possibility to consider this suggestion. The game is great.

=============
The equation it could be modified to include clans too, but when I did it I only thought about players without clan.

Sweet lord, no.

That would be devastation on PVP servers. You know how many people join a server, build a okay starter base then just leave the server due to reasons?

How about a new system all together. How about make it so that if you have a t2 or higher door on your structure it wonā€™t decay. Or you could build a obelisk of peace that has like a bubble radius to protect things from decay. Something. Get rid of decay all together maybe? Have there be something so that if someone raided you they could be able to activate something and demo your base instead. Just some ideas.

1 Like

The whole clan system is flawed, there is a big griefing potential surrounding structure ownership and not everybody feels like joining a bad implemented system like this one. Consider the system before saying its ā€œunfairā€, joining clans should feels optional like in most games, and not mandatory for keeping your progression.

Its alright offer some privileges at the cost of dedication, thats how clans work in most games, joining a good clan usually means having access to better things, but in this game joining a clan is the only ā€œsolutionā€ to decay. You have read my topic, you have seen the countless RL situations could make ANY player lose their entire progression UNLESS they are in a clan. Its not just about ā€œlogging 10 minutes a dayā€, thats easely accomplished, its about eventually not being ABLE to do it, due to some outside problem you may have no control overā€¦ do you understand it now? Your OWN in game progression should not be bound to Clans!

2 Likes

It is optional to join a clan. But having more people to help farm, feed thralls, fight, build and repair is really nice.

I understand that people go on vacations and that if you are a solo player you have to worry about the decay mechanic. But I mean in real life, you have to worry about someone breaking into your own home or it catching on fire. Itā€™s a risk leaving your personal abode for a long period of time. If you leave the game vacation or other RL issues, I apologize in advance but this is the way how this game works, if you leave for a long period of time your stuff will decay to allow others on your server to be able to take your spot. Itā€™s nothing to get salty over. I have had my stuff decay on me before and I just accepted the loss and rebuilt once I got back.

Itā€™s kinda like you have to go out of town but the big competition for the orchestra is coming up and they refuse to change the date just for you.

Hey!

I need to add a remark for players who decided, or are planning to decide to poll ā€œLonger then 6 daysā€

I walk big parts of the map daily and do so for a long time, (since way before decay was an issue)
As i love to see what players build.

By that nature im pretty good informed by implications of large decaytime as seen in the vacation grace period this year as a side effect.

herā€™s my 2 cts, and its not a wild guess i assure.:

If decay will be set longer then 6 days the game becomes a mess, we absolutely need a good decay setting, not based of conflicting individual views and expectations, its impossible to satisfy in this issue, by making decay longer.

So search for other means of a solution would be my view.

There willl never be good setting for all, the poll indicates that too, so best would be abandon a poll based decision and decide on the technical base, if any.

If players do some research on official servers they will be quickly aware of the negative implications of a larger then 6 day decay.

Everybody is right about the decay issueā€™s, but just polling larger then 6 days and deciding on that basis,
is NOT a solution without other implications, be aware.

Note that i personally have no specific decay time wish - other then clean servers.

Have a great day!

2 Likes

I think the Poll has become very clear now .

How to summerice it from my point of view:

Over 80% did not express that they are happy with the current decay system.
That is a clear signal for Funcom.

I heard that prior to release the Decay had been 2 weeks. ( please can someone confirm).

So they had a reason to reduce it to lower based in pre release experience.

So i still think based on this behaving that we canĀ“t go back to 2 weeks. But if you move up somewhere between 1 weeks to 2 weeks - to 10 days i still think Funcom would not ā€œincreaseā€ the server lag or performance at all - but satisfy a far larger customer base and keeping them with the Game.

I presume the voters for 14 days would still see 10 Days as a good move. And then we would have calmed down 81% of customers regarding decay.
I was suprised to still see over 21% voting for 3 weeks. But again every day or move towards more days is a good step.

So my personal feel is still 10 days. Because i did experience the Vacation Timer they had activated. And i can say that on server 1069 there had no extra Lag or anything been after 10 days of vacation timer running.

I did experience a Lag at the end of the vacation timer when we did reach 3 weeks.

Kind regards

1 Like

Despite I am personally very aware of the problems of longer decay time, due to griefers using it to make all kind of blocks, sometimes avoidable, sometimes not so much, but always a bummerā€¦that didnā€™t ā€œkillā€ my game.

Ultra short decay timers did. I had 3-4 bases on same official server, playing since release, having clocked about 400h on same serverā€¦and I abandoned em all this last week, after decay timers gone back to shorter decay time.

So yeah, 2 weeks is a minimum for me to come back and sink more game timeā€¦

1 Like

Exactly, thats why Funcom was forced to implement a longer decay for Summer vacation! Its a bad system and nobody likes it. While Im on topic, I live in the South hemisphere, Im not sure if Funcom personal are aware the South/North hemispheres have opposite seasons, so I ask this:

Are we gonna have extended decay timers again when Summer hits the South hemisphere? Im counting on it, I want to be treated like the other half of the players had the benefits of extended decay for their vacations. So Funcom, are you gonna consider the current decay system or have to make ā€œextended vacation timersā€ every 6 months to cover South and North hemisphere vacation breaks?

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry for your loss. And Iā€™m sorry to lose your valuable feedback on Officials. :frowning: On a personal level Iā€™d been wondering where you were lately.

Maybe there will be a Private server where you can make a home one day. Some of the more reputable ones give you a moderated copy of the DB when/if you leave.

2 Likes

It needs to be faster for pvp servers.

I did some calculations when the poll was at 130 votes and came up with the average length of decay wanted based on all days being multiplied by the percent voted for, added together, then divided by the no. of voters.
The result was 9.63 days.

So 10 days might be a good spot to set it at.

1 Like

I was just thinking while reading a lot of these comments that maybe instead of increasing the decay timer, maybe implementing a new system would be better and I thought well, what about adding a system for decay similar to the feeding system for thralls?

Instead of a feeding pot make a builders stand or workbench that you must add resources to (Rocks, wood, iron and steel reinforcements etc) and like the thralls system the builders would simply repair the structures decay times until all the resources are used up.

This would mean that players willing to put extra work in collecting resources would help keep their bases standing for long periods and those lazy builders who donā€™t care or one time create it then leave it bases would decay as normal.
Also because it would have a radius just like Thrall feeding pot, players who abuse foundation lines would have to either create many builder workstations and fill them with rocks regularly or their foundations will decay as normal. I donā€™t see many foundation abusers going through too much extra work, at least not long term.

I think it would also be perfect for fixing damaged building pieces that the player cannot get to after a raid etc.