Do you like the buff power creep?

Steam numbers are a little better. 4.9% have memorized a sigil. 8.5% have entered a vault. And 5.7% have defeated a surge summon.

Something to keep in mind though is that Siptah is an expansion, and those totals include everyone who has bought the game since it was available whether they own Siptah or not. It also includes people who never actually played the game at all, as evidenced by the “obtain a dedicated weapon” achievement. (i.e. make a stone sword or something). Only 77.6% of players have that one.

That’s not uncommon by the way. A lot of games that have achievements like “walk forward” also have something like a 70 - 85% completion rate for that achievement. It’s also not at all unheard of for even popular expansions to have a significantly lower achievement completion rate than the base game.

4 Likes

This is hitting it right on the head.

I wasn’t initially going to say anything since I didn’t really believe there was a power creep. And I’ll still say there isn’t much of one. I mean there is, but not one where its an order of magnitude (we’re not running around with 2000+ HP vs the starting 200 HP, though our damage is about halfway there).

But its a bit derpy to pay for a DLC and not really be able to use it. Well -I- can. But I have mods. That’s not base vanilla game. So I am really beginning to like the idea of using Armor only for its temperature resists and its armor value. Take the attribute bonuses off of it entirely. Move those to some sort of slot in the armor (or the character themselves sort of like how Sigils work).

3 Likes

That’s true, if only a couple of armors would be viable after a proposed “stat buff nerf”. So if it will happen and the devs nail this one with good balancing, there would be a lot of usable sets.
Now what I see (I barely watch PVP so my POV could be very limited) is only a couple of armors are used such as Silent legion light, Bracers of the serpent, Aspect of the demon on player and Godbreaker on thralls.
Plus, I just hate reskins in any form, in any game, but we are different, we have different options (I guess I represent the minority here with my liking :laughing: ).

I play single player so I can put on whatever I want, I often don’t even look what bonuses they give me, but it is kind of sad to see that a lot of players are just min-maxing, and using only a few things, with ALL the possible buffs. Yeah, if you go to a tough fight or have to defend your base, prepare for it, but for just running around stalking for weak (not that talented/fresh players/recently killed and running back to his/her stuff/etc.) players -especially in larger groups for only 1-2 opponents), players shouldn’t have to minmax their abilities. You could say: “but if I’m not using the 110% perfect gear, that most of the players use, the others who still use will kill me”. Yes, and that’s why I see everybody minmaxing and using a narrow range of gear as a problem.

That is my all time favorite set! On my previous runs if I did not do a specifiv religion/race one, I always wore them. The masks look fantastic. Sad that the Darfari speaker mask only exists in regular version).

I agree with that and would like to see that change. I could finally walk around in full Vanir light then. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve always thought the armor buffs should be tied to the padding. That way you can wear whatever you want and still have whatever build you want.

5 Likes

:no_mouth::open_mouth::no_mouth::neutral_face:

Freaking brilliant

1 Like

Indeed. Compared to other pvp games like Conan, those building mechanics suck. It probably wouldn’t suck so much if… Funcom didn’t genius it. I mean, building the Funcom way is way more cool. Funcom broke the mold.

But Funcom wants you to see which build the enemy is running. Also Funcom: introduces new Siptah builds with the same skins and different attribute boni.

Also in Conan: only 2 builds are actually viable in PvP: Silent Legion/Dragon Hide or any ENC build.

I really hate this design. Because if you run around with normal light gear, the enemy knows immediatly that you are a target, because you are running ENC and no STR and lower VIT.

1 Like

This…this is the issue with Conan and pvp. There isn’t only two types of viable martial arts or weapons…yet on Conan there are these two due to the buffs they offer and nothing else matters.

Yeah. The lack of build diversity is a huge problem and tying your build to a specific skin is definitely a problem in PvP. Maybe not the biggest possible but it’s definitely sub-optimal.

I never thought it was an intentional design decision though. Just something they didn’t think through during the design phase. Did they ever actually state that they wanted you to be able to identify your opponent’s build based on the gear they were wearing?

1 Like

They actually used that as an explanation at one point, but I’m too lazy to look up when and where. That’s why it gets brought up every time we ask for reskinnable armor (or cosmetic armor or whatever you wanna call it, but basically the equivalent of Terraria’s social slots).

Yeah, I don’t agree with that stance and I’m not sure why they would have settled on it as a positive system feature.

2 Likes

Probably in part because PvPers have used that very same argument quite a bit in various MMOs to speak out against transmog systems. PvEers as well, though in their case it’s pretty much just the elitist metasheep who want to make sure everyone is wearing the “correct” gear before starting the dungeon or raid.

I kinda like this.

The only other PvP game I have a lot of familiarity with is ESO and I’ve never come across the argument that being able to transmog your gear actually provided any benefit. But, in that game you usually know pretty quickly exactly what you’re dealing with based on the the skills your opponents are using. Still, claiming that transmogs confer a significant advantage sounds a lot like the incredibly tiresome “it’s the game’s fault that I got beat” arguments that you get from some players.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with Fashionist for most of my CE play, so I’ve never bothered to rely on knowing what the opponent has as armor. Whether they are in STR gear, VIT gear, or ENC gear, the way to beat them is to make their hp=0. The weapon being used is the biggest factor.

And being as there is multiple armors using similar looks and the fact that dyes are being used, makes identifying what someone is wearing nearly impossible with any amount of quickness to be able to adjust based on that.

And even if you were able to, knowing someone hits harder (more STR) or needs to be hit more (more VIT), doesn’t take away from the fact that if you hit them more and get hit less is what you’re aiming for.

Knowing whether someone is in a combat build vs non-combat (such as ENC), may help in preying on helpless folk, but who cares about that in regards to balance? I’m ok with losing that to be able to have cool looking gear with the stats I want. This only really hurts those who like fighting fights where the victim can’t fight back. Not saying it isn’t a legitimate form of PVP, I just don’t think its important enough to care about in regards to the feature.

3 Likes

I do recall seeing it come up occasionally in that one way back. And yeah, it carried about as much water then as it does now. Particularly since right from the start a lot of good armor sets in that game are crafted and were never restricted to any particular type or style of armor, so it was largely a moot point anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve seen it pop up in some others as well, but always before any kind of transmog system is in place. Once it’s in, it just doesn’t come up again, which speaks to just how much of an issue it actually was.

1 Like

Yes they did, in some Q&A livestream. Someone asked in 2018 or 2019 if it would be possible to tie attribute stats to paddings. They replied something like: “No, we won’t do that. It’s intended that you identify builds based on armor skin”

1 Like

Btw the new healthbar and health numbers system gives me a hint on how much VIT my opponent has. So this whole “armor needs to show the build used” crap is kinda pointless at this stage.

1 Like