Exiles needs a better plot

Because it is true.Think about an actual sandbox. It has an outer boundary, is filled with something you can shape (sand) then you are given toys (action figures maybe) and tools (shovel and bucket). Everything after that is left up to the individual playing.

Sandbox video games are just an extension of that same concept. Conan Exiles has all of those components. The boundary is the green wall. The material you can shape is any of the stuff you can harvest or mine to construct structures with. The toys are the enemies in the game, and the tools are the things like axes or pickaxes.

1 Like

even my sandbox game in my childhood had a storyline…
it is created from the tools i brought to the party… to say so.
so you could nudge the child playing in the sand to do certain stuff if you provide certains toys… without anything… its just sand :slight_smile:

the world of conan is in fact interesting enough to provide a little more or at least to give players the ability to do so if they want.

truly enough i would pay for some extra story :upside_down_face:

Yes, you used your imagination and created your own story. That’s the point.

3 Likes

i can see your point about storylining, sure conan exile doesn’t need a full questline with obvious quest and a story-driven gameplay.

But the atmosphere is what’s make a cultural object stand from the other. And in regard of Conan exiles, the story play an important rôle in order to tell us what we are and where we are.

I don’t think anybody would’ve like a blank world with ragdoll and loot, i don’t think the game would have been THAT successfull wisouth conan ip, and so i do think that adding more lore-driven and a better cinematic at the end wouldn’t hurt and could actualy be a nice add to the game.

Its not really about “Sandbox” thou.

Its about Conan Exiles, and how its set up.

Your there for crimes you may or may not have done. Its simple… and reading Journal gives you abit of Lore and some Book references.

You have one thing to do… Survive. Thats the story. It doesn’t need one beyond that.
I’m Talking CE here, not “sandbox game”

Reading Journals, Finding Conan, Finding harlots notes, Finding Ramza notes is already Souls-ish as is.
It works, For this Game. For me anyway. (I know many other enjoy it)
Maybe if Mummy of Set was in-game proper, and you end credits mentions you set out to find Amon. It be good What If filler.

My issue with stories throw in, is they give “MY Character” another story but one I gave them. Which is frustrating.

Their people who want back story and main quest story, and people who don’t.
Right now… I’m in the “people who don’t.” and you all should go away!! He He He!

You can’t win everytime, shoo shoo! Let me have this one! Shoo Shoo!

LOL.

I get some people want that, but some of us don’t, and are very happy with the choice.

1 Like

Go to an RP server for that.

That’s why Sea of Thieves would have flopped a long time ago. You never leave an individual to their vices. You never leave your customer to imagine the content into a product you are supposed to deliver.

Edit:

You also don’t include your own vices into your game either. Those like bottlenecks. We sense them and they make games boring, unless the whole point is to teach us not to do them.

RP is its own can of worms thou. And not even same point.
You can RP Fo4 all you want… but your child is still missing and theres plot points always reminding you of stuff outside your choice. There always something going on outside your little world.

There really isnt any of that in CE, Its not a “RP” thing, Its how world is set up.

Everything in CE is set up to be open, It works. Any of NPC that talk of it, talk of it in that form. Your goal isnt to leave exile lands. Its your choice, and its made clear in manner that its not a “Goal”, its a choice if you want to leave.

Item descriptions, the opening cut scene, and the Conan franchise already provide context and backstory.

I think most people would agree with that. The ending seems really lacking. It be nice it if also had a benefit for doing it, such as it letting you remove your bracelet to teleport home without dropping your inventory. (It could be balanced by giving it a 15 second cast time, and making a player take double damage if hit during that time).

If you wanted to leave the exiled lands, if should prompt you whenever you touched the green wall. If you chose no, it should force you back into the play area.

If they don’t want to create an overall plot how about giving some of the npc’s certain quest that once completed they can be hired as thralls.

Also If they are gonna tell us that “this is a sandbox go make your adventure” then we a gonna need more toys.

It wouldn’t hurt to have real incentives to find some of the already introduced toys too so we would be able to deviate from our path to assimilate the new one to our path or adapt to the new path and so on. :joy:

I’m sensing this trend of surfacing games that have this “make your own venture” slogan slapped on them. It gives this fun of a vibe at first, but drops the moment we witness the thing in practise. Companies market their products into huge hype stages nowadays, blessed by divines and pioneers, and then they are revealed to us as bareboned, but only due the “new” approach called “games as service” which equals a stretch game, i.e. a promise that the image of the hype merely “slowly” becomes real in time (instead of being there from the get-go). Of course it never does, so this is why I rate my games based on what is released and the expansions are rated as expansions they are, in case made, and so on (reason why they never make it is because they have no time to do it; their time only goes to what only they only planned to do only in the first place). It doesn’t matter if it’s free or a paid extension to the original product. The road map needs to be customer influenced in order for such a product to surface that fits the hype (coz we do part of the hype). So if a company wants to slap that slogan to their product, they better know what they’re actually doing, coz I bite and I bite hard.

What really matters behind the scene is the customers’ time, i.e. life. They don’t live forever and we don’t either. For this reason the design phase of a product has to start early enough and teams need to finish what’s promised before release. If a company doesn’t want to invest the effort to bring into the picture both the big guns and the small details, then they are doomed to wander the necessary rocky road with their unnecessarily bare feet.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.