Families in this game and having kids

This reminds me of the times I played GTA in the early days

• Young me: enjoys driving, playing missions.
  • Young cousin: enjoys driving over people and killing them for no reason.

Yeah we know its a game, but can’t blame the game when the mind is the problem, so yeah I agree.
Parenting is a pretty big issue.

4 Likes

This game rated M for mature. Children can’t be in Conan Exiles. Children actors can’t be in mature games.

1 Like

I think this is a little bit of how children are implemented in the game
Skyrim has children too you know

Dying Light has those screaming children and you can kill them…

1 Like

Skyrim doesn’t show breast on official game play. It also the gore.

Mature means it is FOR mature people.

1 Like

Damn, that rules me out!

4 Likes

That is a really good argument

We’ll miss you then!

1 Like

Nah, I’ll be like the Conan flasher, and stick it out for the duration! :smiley:

2 Likes

But there is more to it that just the player interaction aspect, but also the game’s reception to the general public needs to be taken into account. Nudity was a gimmick that got people talking about the game but also gave it a bit of a negative as well. It was marketing driven controversy that did very little to gain long term consumer support but did differentiate the game from others…a sort of counter culture marketing that is effective in the niche but limits the broader appeal. Adding children does what exactly for the game play or for the bottom line of the company? I put out there that there could be a play on the morals of the individual player that adds more depth to the game. But just to have for the sake of kids being in the game as general NPCs that you can treat accordingly? Yeah no, it takes the niche and narrows it further to an even less populated field and one that will be a line in the sand for general appeal (as in you aren’t coming back from implementation of game play that allows you to treat kids like you do other NPC’s in CE).

1 Like

First of all it is not the first time I read a suggestion for children in Conan exiles in this forum, so as the first time I just passed.
My first reaction was, “go see a doctor”, but I finally just pass it without a comment. You have to understand that I am a father of two and this creates taboos in these situations, there for all the “negative” thoughts about this issue are really normal for me and I agree with all of them.
Still…
Admins don’t show up without a reason in a post…
Admins, years now try to encourage as to be civil and creative!
There for I tried to go out of my box and give an effort to be creative in this post paying my respect to @Cattibria!

Nothing is bigger than your child, nothing matters the most in your life, since this miraculous present arrives in your world, all your life before seems empty and meaningless. Your whole world is your child. There for for these reasons I wouldn’t like to have my own child in the game.

However an orphan child is something different, a noble reason to play on exile lands and I seek years for noble reasons to exist in this game.

Here is my thought.

Only after you hit level 60 you gain a spawn of an orphan child in a random place of the map.
If you decide to leave it helpless against mobs then these spawns will become more rare until never show up again. This way the ones that doesn’t care for this feature, in awhile they won’t have to see it again :man_shrugging:.

Yet if you decide to help it then you’ll gain the child’s trust.
By gaining the child’s “trust” you can now access its inventory and feed it. The childs trust will rize so the kid will start follow you triggering the mission to provide a shelter to it. Your options would be either to take it in your house, either to fix a shelter just for the child.
This child for the first days will have to fed well to grow strength. That means ofcurce that the children when they are well fed become more demanding, so giving simple foods to the child will work only the first days, the next days you will have to provide something better, food from the stove for example :wink:. (I need more reasons to cook in this game :rofl::rofl::rofl:).
Your main goal is to help this child grow strong and escape the exile lands.
So you will have more than one reasons to collect the items for the keystone, that means more pve :grin:.
This child will need a horse and a greater pet (please put dogs in exile lands, thank you) that their loyalty will be on the child only not you after they hit level 20. This will give us the pleasure to train pets and horses without the fear of the cap.
Before you release the child that it is strong enough to travel now and escape the exile lands with the loyal followers, you will have to provide to it anounts of gold and silver coins, armor and weapon that you will make sure that the child is trained to use it.
This “train” actually will work by seeing you using it to slay enemies, more or less your main weapon in this game.
The train will be to take it with you armed and kill mobs. The child will create random attacks and it ain’t going to work as a thrall, that means that you will have to fight and protect it constantly until its train level go full.
After the child go full strength and full trained, you can still have it with you yet, because it is a child will always be vulnerable, so it’s best not to take it with you anymore. If you decide to keep it with you, by all means, keep it, yet you will not be able to repeat the sequence, no other orphan will spawn unless this escapes the exile lands.
The goodbye it would be best to have an animation with the orphan hugging you and gives you a special item to remember it, a family present. You will witness the child ride away the green wall on the horse and the pet following, the ones that they had loyalty to the child.

And again another orphan now :wink:.

This is a rough idea from an untalented simple player of this game my dearest @Cattibria, I really hope this effort didn’t let you down.
Thank you for reading.

I like realism, as being 1 hit killed when struck by a jousting lance on barechest (i would not change this), but not at that lvl, there are already many worries family related in real life, that i dont want to bring in to the game and adding to it the worries of having your family being eat by a giant croc or spider, or being smashed by a rockslide.

or your son hiring thugs to deal with bully.

In fairness, the OP did edit it so like the first 10-ish replies are now out of context/incorrect in reaction to the topic because of it.

2 Likes

@erjoh
Please, if it’s not an effort for you, read the whole post if possible, thank you!

I did and my comment was to the general audience and moderation. I just piggy backed on that one comment because it’s validly points out the issue there…you saw it, probably rolled your eyes, realized you weren’t going to remotely productive to the conversation because of the obvious controversy it was and went on your way. Came back because the edit changed the entire thread. I had to alter my snarky comment because he changed it and it is now something that is more…conversational vs OMFG NO! Not everyone did that and I believe Catt. was talking specifically to those public posts that met the OP with more harshness than what the public posting was edited to. IMHO, I think catt would have taken down the post completely if the original post was up because it was vague enough to really go down a dark path.

1 Like

I have an alternative suggestion to perhaps appease both side of this discussion. What if children were a damage immune NPC place holder. Not found in camps but “crafted” by players by “mating” off screen with an owned thrall or another player. They more or less act like high grade beds. So in the event you accidentally hit the “Recreate Character” button or do so on purpose you have the option to respawn as the child. You would have damage immunity and no attack moves till you “grow up” but you can still harvest mats and pick up items. One the time expires the child grows up and your new character starts at a lvl based on xp accumulated from harvesting as a child. The major advantage to this is if you unintentionally recreate and no clan members are online you can spawn as a child already part of the clan and retreive the items your former character dropped.

1 Like

::face_exhaling: That sounds an awful lot like a plantation. The game gets enough heat from the whole thrall/slave thing and this sounds like not only that but breeding them to get children (and the inevitable request for these children to grow up to be better thralls) and larger work force. I mean do we get the white Col Sanders suit clothes to go with this idea? Just putting it out there as a USA dude, this isn’t a good path to go down.

1 Like

It’s possible. You can have children around the base, if the parent dies the child disappears, you can use the rope on the child and put him in the “growth wheel” obviously without using the cane, a bit like a leash. When the baby gets older, he becomes a thrall. It is certainly difficult to implement children, but having your own home in PVE or PVE-C and having a family is not that bad. It’s a good thing, we don’t have to think badly. A mature animations during conception wouldn’t be bad, but maybe that’s too much. :smiling_imp::joy: