The addition of pets, and particularly with mounted pets, is something I’ve been hoping for a long time. With the recent release of Isle of Siptah I’ve recently spent some time with it and discovered a few major issues in the current design.
I’m playing with some friends and we’ve just got some new pets including one rhino. So when one of us dies while exploring the island we leave the rhino on Guard at his corpse until he gets back so he’ll have an easier time getting his stuff back when he returns. This goes without a hitch and we continue exploring and eventually build a stable to put our mounts in while we go explore inside a cave. However when we return we find all our mounts have just disappeared without a trace. We search around thinking they may have somehow gotten out of the stable but can’t find any sign of them so we finally return home to find all but the rhino parked at home. Still no sign of the rhino.
After a little bit of searching online we stumble across the answer to what happened. Apparently when you put in a pet in scouting mode he will eventually return to his home location, which is reset anytime you put him in guard mode. This brings up three issues:
- There is no way to locate a lost pet whom happens to be alive still.
- There is no tutorial explaining how scouting/guard works so players will likley only learn about this feature after having went through a similar experience, possibly losing a lot of gear and spoils collected after a long time.
- Guarding is a feature which pets which are strong enough to do so, will often be needed when away from home. Using this feature should not change the home location he returns to; there should be a separate option for setting his home location.
Also when using guard he should stay there and guard until the player tells him otherwise; removing the set home location feature from guard should not cause the pet to return to the home location after some time as with scouting.
Edit: For item 1 above there is a way to find where your pet is. Here is how you do it.
- Open the in-game menu, On pc I normally just press ‘i’ for inventory
- Select the followers tab
- This will list all your pets, even ones you can’t find. On the far right of each one there is an icon that looks kind of like an eye. Click it and it will change to have a ‘dot’ in the middle instead of a slash.
- now open your map, on pc this is ‘m’ and look for an icon that looks like person