First Time Playing With A Thrall

I had a level 3 fighter with me following me around today for the first time and it was a completely different experience than how I usually play. I’ve been playing single player for months since March this year, took a hiatus, came back and I’m back playing it again.
I decided to go get thralls the old-fashioned way with a truncheon and bindings without spawning them into my crafting stations and playing solo.
Today I decided to have one while I was getting more thralls, and I gave mine a truncheon to help knock out some NPCs. A lot of the time I have an issue with hitting NPCs with a truncheon, especially with more than one attacking. I keep getting staggered and I get beat on like a punching bag, but a turn of events unfolded. I ended up taking the majority of the hits, crowded with people hitting me, and my thrall knocked them out nice and fast.
I was so excited when this happened. I didn’t expect it to happen this well, and it was a complete turnaround to my usual day playing this game. I don’t play with friends, and it’s always been simpler that way. To save a sob story, it’s always been easier to keep up with myself and not have anyone wear me down. That was my mindset in school for group projects too. But finally getting help was a moment to remember. I put it up there with killing my first dragon, the KInscourge, the lava dungeon, and my thrall assisting me today. I’m sure there are other moments, but I’ve been playing a lot.
I just wanted to get this off my chest because it was a golden moment, and I can only imagine how much better this can be when I get even more fighters.

3 Likes

With a group of thralls doing this feels like cheating, but I do it sometimes to get the named thralls. Doing this is the ONLY time I feel thralls work. Having them defend your base is crap. Now if they could just help you bind the thralls back to the wheel that would be great!!! :rofl:

We tried using named fighters (Targa) in our quests. He is way to slow to react.
Prefer critters, they at least get around to hitting the Op4.

1 Like

This is one of the best experiences in the game, when you get the right fighter with the right truncheon. When you tier up enough, get the iron truncheon with the highest-end blunted fitting on it. Recruit a Nord or Cimmerian T2 or T3 Archer/Fighter, equip a shield and let your guy club the night away! It’s so satisfying to fill 7 wheel slots in about 10 minutes.

Be careful around elevators. Always stop them from following before you approach an elevator. Otherwise, keep enjoying them! My wife says for her thralls are more reliable than teammates – I disagree, I’ve had it both ways! Don’t count human help out. :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks for the great idea

1 Like

Thralls go beast mode with a truncheon. I have a Cimm 3 fighter I use in the mounds and she will drop 3 or 4 NPCs before I handle 1.

I’m in the camp that much prefers thralls to pets. They’re much more versatile.

1 Like

Do you just give them a shield and a truncheon? Or sword and truncheon? How do they know when to use the truncheon?

1 Like

Dont forget you can have only one thrall or pet follow you.

I guess this means human beings are better off with artificial fertilization and AI as partners for live? (And human friends of course, but a non human as that partner for live.)
Of course that is half serious, half joke. (Some people are just not suited to be a partner.)

I think that depends on what one wants to do.
Early on pets seem to be the way to go, as any pet will come with at least 10 slots and high HP.
However for crafting or for highend base defense I prefer volcano thralls for their HP, capability of gaining armor rating and their damage dealt. Or stun “damage” dealt. Never thought about giving one of them a truncheon… hmm. Or idea 2: Archer with blunted-enhanced bow and those stun arrows…

A truncheon fits in the mainhand and almost works like a mace. Thus they know how to use it. No need for a shield.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

They don’t know when to use a truncheon vs a weapon, so if your intention is not to kill your best success will be supplying them a truncheon only.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Had a pet Jaguar follow me around earlier today in the jungle while I was getting fur and feathers, and he’s a beast mode.
Had my other three pets and two other human NPCs help me with an undead purge. They were amazing. It felt so freeing. I was so happy.
I’ve been doing it wrong for months, playing solo.

2 Likes