Fix the inconsistent Thrall perks please!

That’s because the flaws of the thrall perk system have nothing to do with PVE or PVP. The perk system is flawed for both game modes, because it relies on completely unconstrained randomness and basically makes the thrall leveling a long, protracted game of slot machines. While slot machines are extremely popular and lucrative, we’re playing a video game that shouldn’t aspire to be reduced to that.

There are several ways to fix it. Let’s hope the team picks one or comes up with their own.

4 Likes

To the OP, there are a couple instances where they Funcom folks have stated they are aware of the situation and it is being brought to devs attention, to determine next steps if any. They have been a bit non-committal on chances of change, much like they are with the dodge roll situation.

At this point, the best thing is to cross our fingers and hope they agree that things are a little too random (and the roll a lot too slow).

If I were a betting person, I’d bet they have a good sized patch in the works already, which will probably be late January. There are a few things to address and they will probably want to lump them all up in one shot, then get back to the Q1 DLC focus.

2 Likes

This is great.
In anticipation for a thrall perk rework, i have already started to collect and save some thralls. I wont use them, they are sitting in a box. Once and if any changes roll out i will then have a fresh warrior to level.

Why wouldn’t a melee fighter get poked in the eye giving them bad aim? What would prevent an archer from getting nerve damage reducing his strength? Working fine for me. Yeah, it may take a while to get a “perfect” thrall, but that is probably the intent. You’re a barbarian running around in an anarchic wasteland, “perfect” should be hard to come by…

lol I feel your pain, I still not have that dang thing and will not say how many fragments I have traded in trying but I have a chest full of Petrified Egg Scrolls hidden with my extensive collection of (Essence Of Rot) Scrolls. Come to think of it it’s kind like the random way we get thralls to level, one out of a few hundreds are useful.

“Working fine” vs “is it a good and rewarding feature” aren’t the same thing. If a car is working fine, but it’s a rusted out piece of junk that every so often you end up with expensive mechanic bills, I would argue that’s not a very fun car to drive. The gripe that others have is that the work you put into a thrall at later levels can be demonstrably worse at their role. Sure it may take time to find “the perfect thrall” with “perfect stats” - but those perfect thralls should be elevated above the rest through some system that that doesn’t rely on RNG. It shouldn’t be a thrall that made it through a gambit of terrible random perks and won the RNG game. I don’t gamble IRL, and I don’t find it rewarding.

A system of random gambling on perks that can, and (probably) have an equal chance of being negative which can erase hours of work, I would argue, is not a good or rewarding feature in the same vain that owning a rust bucket of a car is not fun, and more than likely, frustrating to drive.

There could be ways to implement a leveling system that feels like a barbarian running around the wastes. You make meaningful choices for the perks you pick up for your character, any leveling system that provides perks should reflect meaningful choices in a game that has rules and parameters, regardless of the world setting. In fact, I would have been fine with the leveling system minus the perks to be honest, with a % to gain a stat point or two. A perfect thrall in that system is one that reached the upper limit of what that race of thrall could get for the stats you want; rather, than a a possibility of receiving a negative perk that erases work in the stat you want.

1 Like

Because it’s a video game. I have a real life. If I wanted to stay in it 100% of the time, I wouldn’t play video games :wink:

Seriously, the reason why people are complaining has been explained to death and back over multiple threads now.

1 Like

The perks that reduce any stat are not acceptable, the game is suppose to be fun and some of the developers missed that fact. I went out and captured and thralled several Snowhunters, I end up with negative 5 to strength at the level 15 perk and add insult to injury the level 20 perk was a negative 3 to vitality, for my first thral. Just a huge let down. The next four thralls did not do much better in the perk department. The game is suppose to be fun, but instead the perks system is punishing me for leveling my thralls, removing the enjoyment from the game.

You didnt have the ability to level them before, so it didnt “remove enjoyment”. Its arguable that it didnt add it for some, but if the loss of stats is that punishing, dont spend the time to level them. If you put the right armor on snowhunter and level her up to 9, she can have as much health as before the mounts update, so if the risk after that is not worth it to you, just dont. Nothing lost.

How many thralls have you leveled? You, specifically, at least the 15-20 part if not 0-20 completely.

1 Like

Ive done probably 5 to level 20 and 20 or so past 10. A few 2300 xp thralls to 15

That explains so much, thought so, thanks.

1 Like

Its still an RPG in a prehistoric earth setting, the characters have roles that play into that setting. Rules and backstory are generally parts of an RPG for immersion, and in the Conan world, it was brutal. :man_shrugging:t3:

And I really do hope you’re not getting your eye gouged out by some barbarian IRL, if so I can understand the frustration. Regardless of circumstances though, it’s safe to assume everyone playing this game has a life… :man_shrugging:t3:

Honestly, some people like it, some people don’t, as explained in other threads as well, but here we are. Personally I like the fact that there is variety and it’s not instant gratification in the game. All games use to be like that, but after all the complaining from the participation trophy generation, a lot of games caved in. I can name at least one that chased people away to play the game as it originally designed losing a lot of subscribers and money.

I swear it seems like people can’t have fun unless they’re playing the absolute meta, must be a horrible experience. Oh wait, I guess it is with all the QQ. The reality is the difference a negative perk makes at 20 is negligible. Most thralls people have at 60 can handle anything thrown at them lower than 20 anyhow, if it’s going to bother you that much then just don’t level it to 20, it will be just as useful. Developer time would be better spent fixing real problems.

1 Like

Until said thrall decides that life is no longer worth living and decides to throw itself off a cliff and die. That’s when monitors get damaged.

The primary role of realism in video games is – as you pointed out yourself – the immersion. It’s not realism for realism’s sake. Whenever realism stands in the way of immersion – or is detrimental in some other way – good game designers opt to break or bend its dictates.

How immersive do you think it is when a player gets their thrall to level 20, takes a peek in the stats, notices an Eff U perk and starts swearing? :wink:

Getting “poked in the eye” or “nerve damage” is a way to explain those perks, but having a realistic explanation is something you do after you’ve justified a feature. Offering it as a justification is putting the horse before the cart.

At level 20, it’s more of a psychological kick in the goolies, because of the time you just spent on that final stretch and now you don’t have any chance to make it better, because that’s the end. So yeah, that’s a minor problem.

But if all three perks happen to be the ones people are complaining about, then they combine into a non-negligible problem.

And the worst thing is that it’s all a result of an easily avoidable, easily fixed flaw in the system.

Or we could have both, unless you think an easy fix like this will absolutely derail all the efforts to, for example, fix the AI.

Personally, I prefer when we’re not dealing in straw men and false dichotomies :wink:

You can have variety in a well-designed system and criticizing a flawed system doesn’t automatically mean you’re looking for instant gratification.

Or, and hear me out here, maybe a completely unconstrained perk RNG coupled with single-purpose attributes is the result of hurried game design and stands to be perfected.

Nah, that’s crazy talk, right? I mean, why should the system be any better than gambling? After all, that’s the only way to introduce variety and difficulty into video games and anyone who claims otherwise is whining for instant gratification, as is to be expected from the participation trophy generation.

So you have read all those other threads? And yet you decided to discard everyone’s arguments as entitled whining and attack them with ad hominems? Well, if rhetorics and generational stereotyping are the fad of the month, we might as well toss in an “okay, boomer” in there :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

What does it explain?

All thralls die.,. not every thrall truly lives…

Well they do make us eat and drink… I’m honestly surprised we dont have to have our characters sleep and use a latrine. The line where realism ends is not clear and really up to the devs.

i was lucky to get a 100% to strenght cimmerian berserk. So i started to test… i closed the game and backup the savegame that i always restored.

20 times i used the admin command to set the level to 20 on that thrall. very disappointing results :frowning:

Me, I kinda like having thralls with a variety of perks, including negative ones. It makes them feel unique and gives me an opportunity to develop a deeper story and personality for them. The fact that they’re suboptimal isn’t such a big deal for me because the actual, numerical effect to the thrall’s performance is not such a big deal - the biggest deal is the psychological effect, the very real sense of disappointment people get when their thrall lottery gives them rubbish.

But I’m a Solo player. My thralls don’t need to compete with other people and their thralls, so I can afford having a team of misfits and second-stringers. But I understand why many others feel disappointed when their thralls get negative perks. It’s the same feeling when I loot a new Legendary-tier hat in Divinity: Original Sin 2, find out it has no Strength bonus, and dump it in the “sellable gear” box without looking at it again. It’s in our human nature to want only the best for us, and when random chance is involved, only a very few of us happen to get the best.

But at least the perks in Conan Exiles aren’t quite as bad as playing mutants in Mordheim. Want that guy to be an archer? Too bad, one of his hands turned into a living axe. Want this guy to be your heavy armor tank? Oh well, he grew some eyes on his chest and refuses to wear a shirt. Want one of your guys to be a dodgy unarmored melee monster? He won’t get either of the aforementioned ones. At least a Dalinsia with a -5 STR perk can still fight in melee and be good at it, just not quite as good as a Dalinsia with a +5 STR perk.

1 Like