Frozen lake population density

Guys, isn’t there a problem with animal population around the frozen lake? The area is crowded with deers and tigers and mammoths to a point that they look it’s a cage in a very bad zoo.
It’s a constantly frozen area. There’s very little food there. What do they eat? Why don’t they migrate to the much less crowded (and warmer) areas South and East of it?

5 Likes

Thats where they were but they decided to take a 5 min walk and go from jungle to tundra. They like the scenery. They go get snackums to the south when you arent looking.

1 Like

My dear friend i am sure that you are joking, because if you dont i cannot understand the post :video_game:. Still the only reason that lake exists this way is for the lvl 60 leather farming. Farm one hour there and you will have at leasr 50.000 tar, the rest is history :+1:

1 Like

All those animals are waiting for the lake to thaw, so that they can get to the tasty humans frozen underneath it.

In the meantime, the frozen human’s send up ghost’s of themselves just to psych them out.

1 Like

For tar, the mammoths and frost giants are more than enough… tigers are nice to look at but it’s a bit immersion breaking that there’s a crowd of them interspersed with their actual preys (to which they don’t even seem to pay attention).
Seriously it’s an infestation and it doesn’t look sustainable.
Anyways I was just coming to rant while my dying official server was trying to restart… anybody having server crashes today?

4 Likes

Put the feline pelt in the armorer to give you 3 times the amount hide and keep the elephant hide for the heavy armor :wink::elephant:.

Nope, that’s just where they live. What kills me is that the area between dragonmouth and ring of silence is completely empty and the eyelet lake is overcrowded.
In reality you wouldn’t have so many big cats sharing such a small territory

4 Likes

It bugs me and my group as well. Big cats are not pack animals, but at that lake they are. Also It’s silly that the Mammoths, Sabertooth Tigers, Elk, and Wolves are gang up together as a force to attack the humans.

A few weeks ago my best friend and I had made a trip to the north to get some black ice and star metal and on our way back we decided to just run past the lake as fast as we could. We got overrun and had to stop and fight and we were laughing are ■■■■■ off. It was like Noah’s ark barfed an attack force on us. I shouted “We men must stand together against the ancient alliance of Elk, Tiger, and Wolf… and now a mammoth joins in too!” he remarked back “None of these creatures work together in real life, big cats are solitary, this is not how nature do!

It’s really silly, it’s also very weird because for the most part the game environments are pretty immersive all things considered. However at the ice lake it just feels like Everquest 1998 or something.

5 Likes

The density and selective cooperation of the animals has been so bothersome to me I’ve pondered how many mats would be needed to pave over the dang place to despawn the animals.

1 Like

The fact that a tundra is contained in 2 square miles is immersive but cats that are too close together are too much? What are all those shalebacks eating so close together? Why can I run from desert to tundra to volcano in under 5 min? Its best not to over analyze the map, or you’ll notice the moon goes the wrong way and the land would be ripped apart by tidal forces.

The map, despite its size limitations, is remarkably well balanced. Shalebacks seem to eat grass and seaweed from the oasis, no problem with that.
Nobody is over analysing, that lake population just stands out by itself and annoys the crap out of me.

2 Likes

That many grazers in one small space would have reduced that topsoil to nothing. How about all the panthers that hang out near the obelisk in the jungle? Games cant be realistic and playable at the same time.

I’ve always treated it as end game area… gameplay wise anyway.

world wise… it area with some nice building spots, but to much around, that risks thralls and pets lives constantly. -_-’

It’s just a couple of them… with babies. Nothing wrong there actually.
Spoiler alert: I know the map good enough so i can keep playing that game for a long time. But feel free to keep going at it if it pleases you!

Realism and Verisimilitude are two different things. While neither shaleback nor sabretooth populations are realistic, at least the shaleback populations don’t break the sense of immersion. The sabre/ wolf/ elk/ mammoth situation up north, however, is completely ridiculous and breaks internal consistency with other areas of the world.

2 Likes

There’s 8 within an acre with no food… I’m not judging it, but it isnt realistic. Nothing is. The sandstorm only exists in like a half mile across and always follows the same path. To play the game requires suspension of disbelief. A few too many cats in an area? Who cares.

But it’s crooooowdeeeeeeeed!!!11!!!1!

Also if there was one large group of cats, alright… But there’s one group of cats every 50m, and they’re surrounded by other animals.
I’d wager there are actually more large mammals than trees in that area (and no, I won’t count them)

1 Like

I call it orgy lake. It always feels like i ran up on some orgy of inter species breeding, and now they want me to join in. Makes me uncomfortable!!!

4 Likes

And have you ever wondered how they feel? You selfish pr*ck :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve never seen any tigers near the frozen lake. What kind of mods are you using? Now I’ve seen plenty of sabre-tooth cats up there and they tend to eat the elk which live up there as well. As do the wolves. The elk and mammoths eat the vegetation in the area which to be honest does not seem likely to be enough to support their large population but with the large population of predators that will not likely be a problem for long. :slight_smile: