Funcom & Cheaters?

I looked at that thread and I can probably give a bit of insight on why Funcom and Steam are no longer (able to be) doing much about the cheating problem broadly; long story short here but… I’ll put it in my own words.

XIGNCODE3, EasyAntiCheat, BattlEye, PunkBuster, GameGuard, Hyperion, FACEIT, FairFight, Arbiter, Vanguard, oh [REDACTED] this list can go on a while so I’ll stop now - they all use a similar method of detecting cheats, and it’s kind of the be-all end-all of anti-cheat as it has access to the hardware level of your computer. They scan active devices, memory, processes, etc. and compare them to an internal whitelist of processes necessary for the OS or for UX like, say, MSI Afterburner.

Sounds good, right? Well… no. Unfortunately, it being the be-all and end-all applies just as well to the developers too - there’s nothing more they can do once you’ve found a way to circumvent these. They already have access to your entire computer, all files on it, all hardware.

The methods used to circumvent these anti-cheats vary from running them in a VM to buying cheap/expensive hardware that lets you externally run/intercept code ala ESP or “interpret” visual data and use it - and now, AI too - to generate aimbots.

The best way I can put it: it’s undetectable when set up properly, and it’s very easy to set up properly - you can even buy cheap “script kiddie” packages that do it for you, depending on OS. The solution to people has to be other people, and at that point you may as well get rid of the kernel-level driver.

3 Likes