Funcom should take a lesson from Iron Gate

yea, my mind had to be elsewhere, so I read your post backwards

This is from their FAQ’s on the website:

Q: The visuals of Valheim look kind of old, what is up with that?

A: We have chosen a stylized graphical look that blends low-resolution textures and sparse polygonal detail with modern materials, lighting and post effects. The visuals are inspired by the early days of 3D graphics, like the style seen in PS1 titles and old DOS-era 3D games (before hardware acceleration and texture filtering was a thing).

https://www.valheimgame.com/faq

so it’s not the case of processing power savings, but conscious choice to make it look ■■■■■■

I played LotrO for 9-10 years, Old game engine getting more life… Its always so weird. XD

As neat as those extra tidbits are… I’m more on side of Gameplay > Realism.

You have chest set on fire cause campfire is 1 block to close to stuff (minecraft) or lava block you put in corner as trash disposal. XD

The little touches are neat… I tend to just want to over look them, Its like horse nuts that shrink in cold in Red Dead 2. 0_o such weird detail to add… someone could have fixed another issue.

1 Like

But what’s not real about not being able to make a fire on something that burns like a floor. I think, most vikings didn’t even have wood floors. I could be wrong though.

What Sera is saying, and what I generally agree with, is that gameplay is more important than realism. Not being able to make a fire on flammable floor is realistic. Is it fun? That depends on how it’s all done.

Note that I’m not making a judgment about Valheim here. I haven’t played it enough to have a good opinion. I’m simply saying that “realistic” doesn’t necessarily mean “better”.

I tend to be on the opposite side of “what’s greater then” but I agree it mostly comes down to implementation, even most basic system can by stupid and annoying (survival mode in fallout 4 anyone?) while thoughtfully designed complex one may work better simply because it will be organic and natural like in 7days where your food and water (sticking to basics) go down based on multiple factors, not just time, if you simply walk around do basic stuff with no load you won’t be hungry anytime soon, but if you constantly exert yourself you’ll be starving in no time

1 Like

Another thing I like that I do not think was mentioned is the fact you can take your character…with all his inventory, to another server. I think it’s kinda cool and joins all the servers out there into one big world.

I would like to tell a story that I think sums up “the fun” factor.

You have just sailed across the ocean to a far off land in your trusty long boat. You have successfully plundered your way across the land and your ships hold and your inventory are stuffed to top with valuable resources…iron, silver, gold, gems, food stuffs, bees, everything you need. You mutter a thanks to odin for the bounty and begin to triumphantly sail home!
Halfway through the uneventfull voyage a terrible storm kicks up, the wind is howling, the waves are higher than your mast but you and your trusty longboat will persevere! Out of the corner of your eye, riding a wave straight for you is your worst fear…Sea Serpents! You abandon your tiller, grab your bow and start battling the mighty beasts. After almost exausting your store of arrows and your boat almost turned to kindling you are victorious and the wind switches in your favor and you begin limping twords land to make needed repairs. The seas are high but not so high that you can not see the shore and keep your bearings. Unfortuanetly the seas are high enough that you miss seeing a large rock in your way and your boat smashes into it finishing the job that the storm and sea serpents began, sending all your hard earned loot to the bottom of the ocean!

that story ends in 1 of 2 ways…

1. You have enough stamina to swim to the shore but you aren’t safe yet…you are marooned and need to build a small base to get to a point where you can build a ship and sail home.
  2. You drown on the way to shore and end up at home empty handed with nothing to show for your adventure.

Mine ended in number 2…i call it seat of your pants gaming lol

2 Likes

3 million and counting, guess people enjoy the immersion of mechanics with the low level graphics. Go figure fun over pretty;)

2 Likes

Or they favor co-op against the environment vs competition against one another.

As I suggested a while back, Conan Exiles needs an online co-op mode where all the players are part of the same clan against heighten survival difficulties on a server. Work together to survive. Granted, not everyone wants that experience, to be certain, but its a game option that’s missing in CE.

True. The only reason i even played PVP was because the PVE was severely easy on CE. The first week i played i found it was basically a button mashing game on PVE. Mash for mining, mash to kill NPC;'s.

I think the issue is not enough variety in the way to do things on CE. Th9ink about every task you do on the game, it requires pressing (or holding) the same button over and over…

One area that would change Conan without changing Conan is the way skills work. Valheirm has a great mechanic in the leveling of skills….you level what you do in the game. Not just add points as you wish.

IT made me think of something they could add…weapon/tooll skill progression.
Every weapon type has an exp modifiery, you have - levels. Every 5 you get a new perk.
The catch is for every 5th Level you go up in one weapon/tool, the others drop 3 levels back towards 0.
This way , how you play dictates trained perks. I am sure if one played enough they could get all to at least 15, but never have all at 20.
EX

Weapon/Tool Leel 5 Level 10 Level 15 Level 20
Hammer 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina AOE 3rd Attack -50 pts to opponents Stamina
2H Sword 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina Bleed
Spear 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina Double damage to horse and rider
Daggers 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina Leaping 3rd Attack 25% Critical
Great Ax 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina AOE 3rd Attack 25% Critical
1H Sword 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina 3rd Attack 25% Damage
1H Ax 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina Leaping 3rd Attack 25% Critical
Mace 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina AOE 3rd Attack -50 pts to opponents Stamina
Bow 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 10% Damage Boost 25% less Stamina 25% Damage Boost
Pick 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 25% more harvesting 50% less Stamina Used while farming 50% more Harvestig
Pickaxe 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 25% more harvesting 50% less Stamina Used while farming 50% more Harvestig
Hatchet 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 25% more harvesting 50% less Stamina Used while farming 50% more Harvestig
Sycle 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 25% more harvesting 50% less Stamina Used while farming 50% more Harvestig
Knife 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 25% more harvesting 50% less Stamina Used while farming 50% more Harvestig
Cleaver 50 Less Durabiltiy loss 25% more harvesting 50% less Stamina Used while farming 50% more Harvestig

so I took @CodeMage advise and after couple of pints in I went… long story short: comparing CE to Valheim makes no sense to me, all they have in common is genre, anhow

here’s interesting feature:

seed name: ExiledLand

Cimmeria is also a good one

I disagree, since both are PVE combat oriented, varied skills, player leveling, use barbaric timeline themes, “base” building and crafting (tiered as well) there are many things to compare.

4 million…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.