Funcom, we need to talk about PvP

Clearly you’re not experienced enough with the game… Mounted, Infantry, And ranged DO have specific strengths and weaknesses in Conan.

1 Like

Neither is having your base wiped out in 5 minutes. There needs to be a balance. IMO Raiding should require real skill and effort. If you’re going to blow into the base of someone who FARMS incessantly, then it should be difficult, because the payoff is potentially huge. I’m all for people raiding my base. I love to play “On The Wall” Defense. However, I don’t like standing on walls that will crumble in less than a minute. Foggy is right. Doors are too weak. You are right though 3Lion; Even if FC starts advertising their stance that fence stacking a whole cave system is no longer acceptable, people will continue to just fill the cave with as many building pieces as possible to keep others out. Building limits are the only way to keep clans from just placing as many pieces as possible between their loot and the outside–however, as many others have mentioned, I am not in favor of hard building limits. As I mentioned to CodeMage, I’m more in Favor of a Fallout 76 C.A.M.P style system that determines the maximum footprint of a base, not its building pieces.

Havent you been unseated by an archer? I have.

1 Like

@erjoh This. I’ve unseated many a horseman with Acid/Poison/Explosive arrows. If you think there aren’t specific benefits to archery, infantry, and mounted, I just don’t think you’ve practiced fighting horsemen on foot, or haven’t discovered special Ammo yet.

1 Like

Nothing OT about this! No need to silence messages you don’t like. IMO the whole idea of “balance” as is being used here is moronic! Asking for such either indicates you don’t know what a video game is or you’re out to destroy one - knowingly or not.

2 Likes

Ok unseated is not a weakness…sorry to compare unseating with the damage done with a lance is like saying a truncheon and a mace are equivalent. The horse provides a bonus that has no weakness to it.

Look I love horses and believe they should dominate in the open against melee infantry but they are completely unbalanced and yes balance in PvP is essential to maximize variety else you get the following… everything is black ice, everyone is dressed in aspect of the demon and mix of silent light and dragon hide armors. Feroxic daggers…and yes horses with a scouting saddle all eating asura glory. Sound remotely familiar? It should…I described about 90% of the PvP player base. It’s stale and all of it deserves to be offlined for just the lack of creativity…call it a server beautification project. Sorry but no one has a right to call for offline protection when defend unbalanced bs…that is the pinnicle of hypocrisy…I can spin offline defense the same way…‘it’s not supposed to be balanced’…‘start offlining’…and my favorite…‘git gud’.

1 Like

There. This! YES!

Whoops, hit Save by accident.

There is so much to be balanced about this game, not the least of which is horse consequences. Fall damage, trip damage, bump damage. Horse revivers. More.

2 Likes

Since the title of the thread is “Funcom, we need to talk about PvP”, let’s talk about PvP.

Barnes, I happen to know that you are a long time PvP player. You say there is much to be balanced about this game. I agree, but I don’t think much change needs to be made to combat as I currently understand it. Funcom had a horse nerf a few months back, and I personally feel like that nerf was sufficient.

What do you feel like still needs balancing in Conan, and why?

Thank you for asking. I always appreciate your PvP feedback.

As it pertains to the particular quote you reference, horse combat should be altered. In fact, the whole horse interaction should be changed, so that there is bump damage incurred to the horse and rider. That there be actual penalties for falling while on horseback. They just seem like an impregnable hovercraft that was never fully fleshed out.

As for the game

A. Player Classes: Archer, Barbarian, Horseman, etc. unlocked by a combination of attributes

B. HUD: remove health bars, add notice or warning of damage (building/placeable/thrall) as an alarm if Raid is to continue in its present form

C. Siege: complete overhaul. Add towers, ladders, counters.

D. Combat: complete overhaul. We would see balance passes for every working combat mechanism. For every faulty one there’d be a rework, like the katana. We would be given an on-foot counter to horses, in the form of a lance – when wielded on foot it can be emplaced into the ground as a pike on which to impale the rider/horse.

E. Healing: add horse revivers. Add monk thrall to game for walk-along mass healings.

F. Raid: eliminate Raid time on a swath of PvP Officials.

3 Likes

The weakness is terrain and available weapons.

Personally I agree and disagree on various points, so I’ll go point by point.

A. Player Classes: Archer, Barbarian, Horseman, etc. unlocked by a combination of attributes

An interesting idea as long as its’ unlocked by a combination of attributes and can still be respec’ed.

B. HUD: remove health bars, add notice or warning of damage (building/placeable/thrall) as an alarm if Raid is to continue in its present form

I agree on disabling health bars for PvP. Maybe FC could make it so that on PvP servers Health bars only show up for a short window of time after taking damage, or vastly restrict the radius in PvP. I like the feature and think it’s cool, but as it is now, it damages PvP by removing the element of surprise. The maximum radius for health bars showing up needs to be less than 2 foundations on PvP servers.
I also fully agree we need some form of raid warning aside from the event log, unless of course buildings don’t collapse like cards. With buildings as weak as they currently are it’s entirely possible someone blows in your door before you even notice. By the time you look at your logs, it’s too late to defend. It’s gotten to the point that if I see something getting blown on the log, I don’t even bother checking it out unless I can death port (i.e. pull bracelet). I just won’t get there fast enough to stop it.

C. Siege: complete overhaul. Add towers, ladders, counters.

Fully agreed. But right now I feel like towers and ladders would be pointless as you can blast through the wall in less that 5 min.

D. Combat: complete overhaul. We would see balance passes for every working combat mechanism. For every faulty one there’d be a rework, like the katana.

I’m all for continuing to balance combat where needed; However, I feel like the patch immediately following the healing rework was a good “golden-age” of Conan PvP. I feel like PvP has actually gotten slightly worse since that patch; mostly because I think that taking damage shouldn’t stop a healing potion. I also believe that Healing Pots should NOT cure bleed or poison (which they thankfully no longer do). I don’t think the combat in Conan is too far from where it should be, however, I think the recent weapon reworks are a bit unbalanced and need to be tweaked on for a bit.

We would be given an on-foot counter to horses, in the form of a lance – when wielded on foot it can be emplaced into the ground as a pike on which to impale the rider/horse.

I feel like the recent nerf to horses was good and definitely needed. Before the could literally one shot a person with heavy armor and good vit. Now they only oneshot people in crap gear. That being said… I do agree, a palisade spike that could be deployed to do lethal damage to a changing horse would be fun. That being said, there is already the Stygian Palisade, which can do substantial damage to a charging horse.

E. Healing: add horse revivers. Add monk thrall to game for walk-along mass healings.

I’m super against this. From a gameplay perspective it would be nice to not be denied a horse. However, unless we get a resurrection potion for players and there is an in-game justification, it seems kinda lore-shattering.

F. Raid: eliminate Raid time on a swath of PvP Officials.

IMO, Raid time is there for a reason and should stay that way. But I definitely would be in favor of FC spinning up about 4 PvP servers with different raid time settings (including ALLWAYS ON or Dynamic Building Damage) to test out these settings. With server transfers now a thing, players can transfer in and test it out.

2 Likes

its ok cos im just going to build sky bases with more even building pieces to make it defendable. gl funcom official servers 1 server fps inc

I observed your discussion elsewhere about horses. You have said you think they are fine.

Horses are not fine. I know I might be asking a lot, but there is so much missing from the horse experience, they truly just seem like bumper cars. When you play Red Dead Redemption, which is partly dedicated to the horse, you’re greeted with rich functionality. Actual characterization. Different sizes, different breeds, different health, stamina and attributes.

If your horse goes down a gully, it will trip. Sometimes it will roll over you. Often, when you fall down a fairly trivial slope, your horse will take a serious injury. After sustained damage or a long-enough fall, your horse will be dead.

If your horse is critically injured and on the ground, unless you have a reviver your horse will die.

Last night I blindly rode off the top of the Lemurian ruins near the Witch. I died, my horse was fine. This is not OK.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it’s unrealistic for a survival game to have horses falling of cliffs being OK. However, the game slows to a crawl without a horse. It takes significantly longer to traverse the map and this makes it near impossible for casual players to make good use of their play time. I think you may have a better point AFTER FC implements the new Fast Travel system they have hinted at before.

Tell me more…

1 Like

Last time I fell off a cliff while riding, there was a health and endurance penalty for that. Did they change it?

3 Likes

Nope, no changes! And you don’t even need to fall off a cliff either. You can lose half your health just riding too fast down a steep hill if the horse catches too much air. Do that a few times and even the horse will be near death (assuming you healed each time in between - so weren’t dead yourself). But you know how these forums work by now I’m sure: Way over exaggerate a problem and then tell everyone things need nerfing or exclaim how we all must give up our rewarding and creative freedoms for the sake of “balance”.

2 Likes

My horse hase over 5000 health. Can sustain 10 times the height that I can.

1 Like

Yeah, better label it an exploit and nerf it quick!

1 Like

Larger than just horse nerfing. It’s all thralls are outrageous in HP and that stems from monsters being too monstrous…which was designed so to encourage teamwork

1 Like