Game freezes every few mins

Got this issue aswell after yesterdays patch. Also running cleaninstalled windows 10. Totally unplayable now, game freezes after a just a few moments ingame.

This made it worse I now lock up before loading in. The only recourse to get out of the lock-up is still Task manager to kill the game or a reboot of my entire system.

Yeah, now they are blaming it on mods, not because they sprang a recoding of character creation and funcom live requirements onto a thrall update.

I have this same issue. I thought it could be a mod ordering issue, perhaps the game was letting me in regardless of correct order. I manually ordered the mods according to the server mod order (I am the admin and have access to this list) and after 3 minutes the UEgame (was previously ConanSandbox.exe) stops responding.

For those of you reporting this issue with mods installed, please read these answers by other players who ran into the same issue.

For those of you reporting crashes on Windows 7 as part of this issue, please report them in its own separate thread here:

For those of you still experiencing periodic freezes, without mods, please keep sending us your log files so we can determine the exact cause for this problem.
Thanks again for your collaboration and patience.

1 Like

well same Problem here
freeze after 1-2 minutes game crash than close automaticly (i am on desktop again)
win10, official server only, GTX 1070

I did a test on the server that I play with my friends (Nitrado).

I went to the adm area of ​​my server and clicked on REINSTALL
Now, on the client (mine) I reinstalled Conan.
After reinstalling the server I added the same MODS that I had before.
On my client I went to MODS and added the same MODS AND in the same order that they were on the server I play.

I think it worked, so far it didn’t freeze

Still freeze patch didnt help me

THIS WORKED FOR ME AND ONE OTHER:

i had the freeze problem. game froze twice. (win10 + RTX2070)

started it in local mode, played for 10 minutes, no freeze.
exit to menu.
selected online server (server w/ only pippi as mod) and logged in.

no more crashes.

looks like running in local mode reset something. worked for two of us.
your mileage may vary

1 Like

I wrote in another thread that I will never pay for another game. A DLC is fine, since I like Conan. They will never sell me another game though.

This worked for me too. Except prior to reading your post, I had Uninstalled and Installed BattleEye through the Steam pop up when launching the game.

I also had some mods on my Single Player profile.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yesterday I spend hours getting out of the endless crash loop, 30 seconds after I logged in on Windows 10. I eventually got around it and was able to play for 2 hours.

Today, I am again stuck in endless crash loop.

I am not alone, I see people all over in similar situation.

What is Funcom going to do ? It is not acceptable to feed us with this less than alpha quality patch so people cannot use what they bought.

We really need the Game rolled back to what it was and then you can take your time to fix on Beta servers or wherever its appropriate. This version is not appropriate in the release canal.

I am not going to try more I spend hours yesterday in fixing only to be broken again today. Many other players have resorted to same, just plain given up.

My issue has finally been resolved. Here are the steps I took to fix it. It was a process that took over an hour but I’m in game now for over 2 hours with no lag, stuttering, freezes or any other prior to the hotfix being issued last night.

I Favorited all the mods I wanted to play with. Bear in mind I have been playing for 2 years and many mods are extinct and no longer worth caring about.

I unsubscribed from all Conan Exiles mods.

I opened the game and went into settings->game-play and removed the check marks from automatically subscribe and automatically connect (unchecked them both) then close the game.

Navigate to you Steam drive that your copy of Conan Exiles is on, then Steam-steamapps-workshop-content- and delete the folder 440900 (this is the folder that has your Conan Exiles mods in it)

Go to your Library and right click on Conan Exiles and uninstall it.

Completely exit from Steam and shut down your PC for 5 minutes and then start it up, log into Steam and go to the store page of Conan Exiles and click on “play now.” It will allocate the game where you choose to install it. It will copy the files and install them.

Click on your name in Steam on the top menu, for me its YerBud, that is my Steam handle and go to Content. Now click on Workshop, sort by your favorites, and filter the game to Conan Exiles. Subscribe to ONLY the mods you absolutely need to connect to your server.

Clean up phase done.

Workarounds

For those of you experiencing this issues, could you try this other workaround instead:
In the file <ROOT>\ConanSandbox\Config\Windows\WindowsEngine.ini , set the variable bPlayFabTelemetryEnabled=True to bPlayFabTelemetryEnabled=False
Let us know if this workaround gets rid of this issue while we work on a fix.

Do this:

For those of you still having freezing/unresponsive game clients - please try this fix. I had tried everything else I could think of - but the following worked for me - it was posted by Demonseed but the guy who posted it first is listeded here. A HUGE thanks to these guys for posting it - i can finally play again.
I FOUND A FIX!

(Example assumes Steam library is in C:\Steam)
First, uninstall BattleEye by going to and clicking here:
C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Binaries\Win64\BattleEye\Uninstall_BattlEye.bat

Next, reinstall it from here:
C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Binaries\Win64\ConanSandbox_BE.exe

If the game launches, exit it.

Next, go into this folder and DELETE all the files:
C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Saved\Logs

Finally, in that same folder, right click and create a new FOLDER named:
SilentEvents.log-upload-0

(making a folder with this name prevents the game from writing a log file here with the same name)

That’s it. Load up the game, you “should” be stable and not freeze/lockup every 3 minutes like I was!
This fix was found in a Win7 thread (even though I like most people are running Win10) that’s very active right now. Kudos to Illidan for it!

Hope this helps everyone get back into their game!

and finally, do this:

Editing the client modlist.txt is what fixed it for me.

Connecting to my server always popped up with a mod mismatch even though I had the Mods ordered correctly on the main menu. After accepting, the game would restart and connect automatically to the server, then I would crash after loading into the game within 5 mins.

I looked at the temp modlist created for joining the server:
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\servermodlist.txt

and compared my normal modlist:
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Conan Exiles\ConanSandbox\Mods\modlist.txt

and my normal modlist had the mods out of order and the last line didn’t have the asterisk as the first character.

I took the contents of servermodlist and copied them into modlist and I haven’t been prompted about a mod mismatch or crashed out of the game since.

Wrong:
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1823412793/ModControlPanel.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1802389425/ThrallSideKick.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1389908968/NiflheimrMiniMap.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\880454836/Pippi.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\931088249/BetterThralls.pak
E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1629644846/KerozardsParagonLeveling.pak

Right:
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1823412793/ModControlPanel.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1802389425/ThrallSideKick.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\931088249/BetterThralls.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1389908968/NiflheimrMiniMap.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\880454836/Pippi.pak
*E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\440900\1629644846/KerozardsParagonLeveling.p

NONE of this was my own idea, I was following all the steps for the various workarounds because I tried several at different times over the last 7 hours and all had failed. So I added the clean uninstall of the mods as another step and then mash all the workarounds together.

I run a new copy of Windows 10 with an above-average gaming rig and had mod mismatch issues, stuttering, lag, and finally a freeze in-game.

All systems go, thanks for the insights, fellas.

And Funcom just released another Hotfix that may help with this.

I am having a bunch of stuttering with these new updates all three updates they rolled out the past day’s, rtx 2070 super I7 8700k 16gb ddr4 game is installed on ssd this new online service why? It also stated checking permission to play singleplayer game? I don’t need permission to play sp thank you very much. If someone or everyone can get together to push the company to roll back with the new features would be great.

October 2020 here, had the exact problem everyone else was having in June, and YOUR FIX STILL WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Someone get this person a good number of T4 thralls and a good chicken dinner cuz they’ve won this!

(I only ever play on official servers, so this was doubly dubious for me seeing as it is definitely NOT a mod issue.)

Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

@Funcom: This is serious.
Does any programmer know how to isolate the cause of a deadlock condition?
Whatever is causing it, I suspect it’s a conflict between Windows 10 code and game code calling on the same resource.
The deadlock condition is happening way too frequently.
It’s been happening every time I’m in the game.
It’s been happening random.
It doesn’t matter what I’m doing in the game. I can be sitting down and doing absolutely nothing and the whole system goes into Deadlock.
I need help.

No MOD problem definitely, i confirm,
i NEVER play MOD’s, only Official servers :

1975/1977/1986/1978/1979/1996

all kinds PVE / PVP / PVE-C,

for the first time in years, i had to drop off Conan because of lag,
me and my team, thats so sad because we were playing alot !!!
this is an ridiculous situation !!!

JUST IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY ON ANY South American SERVER

@FC,
I’m going to guarantee one thing.
I’m going to get to the bottom of this and when I do,
I’m going to let you know what I find out.

I was having the same problem and I found a workaround. If you are running the private server by yourself, make sure to check “-useallavailablecores”, even if the program tells you not to. This for me eliminated 90% of the freezes.