Having trouble with Explosive Devices in scenarios

Just starting the E1 solo elite scenarios and they are challenging. One thing that has me stumped is when I get the warning “Explosive device - disarm or relocate” nothing I do works very well. Selecting and using the device (default F) puts it in my inventory in an ability slot (default Q) but when I move away from the civilians and try to use it like an ability, a red targeting cursor appears on the ground but I can’t seem to set it down. Though I’ve succeeded in moving it away from the civilians, it blows up in my inventory and takes about half my health. Any advice as to what I’m doing wrong, or not doing at all, would be appreciated. Thanks!

You’ve got 2 abilities (Q and left mouse click i think), one will place the mine where you stand, and it will run out its counter then explode, the other is to throw the mine but the range is terrible and you’ll be likely to be caught in the blast.

Press LMB to place the explosive (away from the survivors).

“Throwing” it just blows it up in your face and disarming has never been an option, despite the VO telling you so.

So you don’t do them together Q>left click. The Q should set it in the ground target and the left click should throw it (but don’t do that)? Seems to me I tried both, but maybe I did them together and that cancelled out. I will try again and see.

Thanks!

If you do Q then you’ll bring up the target circle, which will be red unless you target near to you. You then need to LMB to throw it. If you’re just running around with it, LMB will place it at your feet (movement will interupt the cast). Generally I find placing it to be safer.

You have to dodge immediately after throwing. Takes a bit of practice, but you can use the explosive offensively without taking the blast.

2 Likes

Don’t throw. Just place. It gives you a lot more time to get out of the blast and you can start sprinting immediately after placing.

Right, but there are times when you could really use that instant damage — like when mobs pile up.

It’s also satisfying.

Its annoying with the terrible targeting system in this game, because the range is absolutely tiny when using Q, as you have to essentially throw it at your feet, which of course means adjusting your aim significantly towards the ground. Once you cover that part, when the crosshair is green, Lclick to toss it.

As others said, Q tosses the bomb and will make it explode almost immediately, and the only way to avoid taking damage yourself is to immediately dodge. Don’t wait to see the circle, just click and immediately dodge. Practice the maneuver and you can learn to really like the bomberman survivor because the bombs can help make your life easier, especially if he plants one just before the first boss.

That is fascinating! I just figured that option was for when you didn’t have time to get the bomb away but wanted to take some mobs with you, ala Leon.

2 Likes

Bomb chucking isn’t really that hard, you have to practically throw it at your feet and follow up with a dodge roll. It does about 50% of the target’s health so if the stars ever align and you get a bomb in hand just before the wave boss shows up you can apply a pretty heavy smackdown on them.

I follow the map indicators to meet the spawn.

I don’t have that much trouble with the mobs unless there is a simultaneous distraction, like for the explosive or possession of one of the survivors

I like your advice and will try to modify my build as you suggest. Mostly I have been working from Schmidy’s DPS videos for various weapon combos on Youtube, but it’s good to see other points of view. Thanks!

I follow the map indicators to meet the spawn.

I don’t have that much trouble with the mobs unless there is a simultaneous distraction, like for the explosive or possession of one of the survivors

I like your advice and will try to modify my build as you suggest. Mostly I have been working from Schmidy’s DPS videos for various weapon combos on Youtube, but it’s good to see other points of view. Thanks!

As WaS says, you should drop the healing grenade, if you really need healing swapping EE for rifle leeching passive would pay off more. Full Auto would be a better fit since its pretty much more effective to AOE down 4 packs and pairs. Nuking them down faster via AOE should leave you “OMG HURRY AND AND SPAWN” which also leaves you time to deal with possession or bombs.

I’ve been hesitant to swap full auto for current burst fire because it halves the chance of getting a grenade and the incendiary with slow burn gives a big dps boost.

It’s a lower chance to trigger a grenade per hit, but you’re hitting more things.

I find having 3 AoE abilties (1 elite, 1 power, 1 basic) and 1 single target (1 power) is a good balance for scenarios. You are almost always fighting multiple mobs at once, except for the bosses but you have plenty of time to kill them, so your abilities should generally be AoEs.

Using abilities, items or passives that heal you as you fight helps keep you focused on the enemies instead of your health bar.

Keep in mind you can drink potions to help you. The 100 MoF potion is a nice boost especially at lower levels and will last for almost 2 scenarios.

I might be in the minority here, but as an AR grenadier DPS I find Burst Fire to be superior to Full Auto. AoE is important in scenarios but for me that comes from grenades, and a large part of my DPS comes from High Explosive Grenade in particular. So I need to load nades as often as possible.

Incendiary Grenade fills the cooldown gap nicely. Before I got a Signet of Cruel Delight to legendary for self-heals, I used Essence Grenade instead; it worked very nicely with Burst Fire to keep me alive.

The other abilities I use are Placed Shot and Lock n’ Load (because you can never have enough AR energy and nades), as well as Dual Shot for my offhand pistol.

Choice of gadget is also important — I use a Mistress’s Bashosen for interrupts and to ‘tag’ spawning groups when I can’t lob a nade at them.

Keep both. Ditch the healing grenade.

Good advice, all, thanks so much!

I find I have become perhaps over-reliant on essence grenade, it so quickly restores full health. Also thinking of a healer build for non-solo activities for which it should be very useful.

I’ve tried several of the modifications suggested here and as my builds develop I’m no longer failing the E1 scenarios and in some cases don’t lose a single survivor. The tips on handling mobs are especially useful.

Appreciate your interest and expertise!