How exactly ist he Food Pot/Cauldron supposed to work?

Is it supposed to…

1. if food is placed inside pot, does it then distribute said food into thrall inventory? wouldn’t that cause the timer on the food to go back to its normal spoil rate, which then negates the pots ability to lengthen the spoil timer on foods inside the pot?

or

1. remove a unit of food whenever a thrall needs to eat. Thus no inventory change, no question about whether or not the food item decayed at it’s normal rate?

Put food in to the Thrall Pot and it feeds them for you. You do not have to worry about running around to feed them.

1 Like

I understand that it feeds them.

I guess i’m asking this question because Firespark81 did a recent video about how far the Food Pots extend to allow a thrall to eat from it. What I saw was that the thralls within the radius of the Pot was getting food items at a small stack of 5 to be placed into their inventory.

If my assumptions are correct, wouldn’t this action of dispensing food items into the thralls inventory’s put the food item back to it’s normal spoil rate? Which then removed the Pots ability to keep things from spoiling too fast?

Still testing it, but yes food will spoil in a thralls bag.

2 Likes

I just hope they release the food pots before they activate starving thralls. otherwise all of us live players will come on to no live thralls

I think that what he’s asking is:

On FireSpark’s video, the food inside the pot lasted for 99h, as if it was a refrigerator.

As soon as it’s distributed, will it keep its duration of 99h inside the thrall’s inventory, or will it drop back to what it used to be, the normal duration ?

It reverts back to a normal decay timer and they only take 5 units of food at a time.

They take just over 7 days of food that is consumed immediately plus 5 units. The total amount of time from the consumed food is 7 days 9 hours. If you do not replenish your food pots in this time, they will start a death count down timer of a few minutes once they are out of food. During this period, their health drops quickly.

In testing this today, the ones closest to the Thrall Pot will draw food first with those farthest away drawing last. One pot will cover a small base easily.

2 Likes

so…if the duration of the food goes back to normal in the thralls inventory. whats the point of the thrall pot affecting spoil timers?

so in reality, the thrall food pot really only distributes the food, allowing you to not have to go to each thrall to place food in their inventory. The reduced spoil timer really has no bearing, overall, on the food spoil timers since the food is going into the thralls inventory anyway

Smells like bait and switch to me.

Well, i think that, since they only distribute 5 at a time, even if the timer on the food goes back to what it used to be, it won’t spoil while with the thrall.

FireSpark81 recorded a video on YT about the range and etc on the thrall pot, you should check his channel out, got some nice tips from him

Nah, you didn’t miss it, he only did with one pot, he said that more than that would be wasteful, since one pot covered over 50 blocks sideways and 18 upwards. I just don’t remember if it covered how many thralls it can feed :confused:

Yeah, i remember that the HUD’s size decreased with the ammount of thralls.

Yea, they could, but if you want an army of 100+ thralls, gotta get the grub for it, right?

each “tick” of the food pot, sends 5 food for the thrall, that would be 500 food per tick, IF the thrall already ate it. If he didn’t, then the food will stay with him until it’s over.

:thinking:
does the food pot overlap ? hmmm

what they should do is only take 1 unit of food from the pots and only when the thrall needs to eat. Otherwise, the spoil timer change is pointless

I think that it would lag the server, just imagine the ammount of bases and food pots that would need to run that check? This way, when it’s 5 food per thrall, it takes longer, so there’s no need to tick that often

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point. Only a small amount of food is distributed to the thralls, as and when they need it. Therefore (depending on the number of thralls you have) the food will be in the thrall pot for the majority of the time.

Say you have 5 thralls, and completely fill the thrall pot. 25 units of food will go to the thralls, and the rest remains in the pot. 1 units vs 5 really doesn’t make much difference.

I could be wrong, but I think that is exactly the reason why only 5 at a time are pushed to the thrall/pet inventory.

2 Likes

I thought there was information about this somewhere, but i can’t find it, so i don’t think that there is.

I think that, if there is more than one thrall pot, it will feed the thralls nearest to it, with priority…

After a little testing, the pots do overlap, but if a thrall already has 5 food, they won’t receive any additional food if there are more pots around. Ideally you’ll want to space your pots so they overlap as little as possible, for maximum efficiency.

2 Likes

But you would have to farm food for everyone anyways, what would be the difference between 1 pot or 50 ?
They would all show in the same pots, because of the range…