How is this not your fault or an issues since the big patch

Here’s the frustrating part for most. It does work as intended for many players. But it doesn’t for many others.

If you’re on a Gportal server, your experience sucks. If you’re on another server host or single player. The game runs fine. There’s some other conditions that cause the disparity, but that’s the biggest one right now for the obvious reason that the officials are on Gportal.

Ironically if Funcom made no new additions to the game in early access to now. The Gportal experience would be fine. No map expansions, no new dungeons, no mounts, no combat changes, no mod support, etc. But lets be honest, none of us would be playing that game. There’s only so much you can build using sandstone, brick, reinforced brick, insulted wood, and black ice in the newbie river and desert.

But we’re here. We have a game that evolved drastically from its idea in early access. Unfortunately they made a contract with Gportal way too early on and for a duration that is too long. That is Funcom’s error, that is their fault.

But we have to deal with the consequences of that. We can sit here and whine on the forums about it. Frustrating ourselves and Funcom too because nothing can be done about it. Not legally or ethically anyway.

Funcom could come out and say, “yep, we screwed up, Gportal wasn’t a good choice.” But what does that do? Honestly? Is everyone going to be like, “well since you said it, we feel better now, that fixes all our problems…”

No, you all want an actual solution.

Funcom is responsible, they made a mistake (in hindsight) by going with Gportal with the agreement they did. But the solution they cannot give. Not legally anyway. You’d have to wait for that contract to end, and maybe they would change over to another host. But I suspect by the time that comes around, they won’t be supporting the game anymore. So that’s not a solution.

So you have to take matters into your own hands. You shouldn’t have to, but this the fact of the matter of where every Conan Exile player stands. Here’s what the players can do:

1. Stop playing. Cut the losses and go for greener pastures. You have all the information you need to make this choice. You know it won’t get better going forward, is the condition of your play experience acceptable? If not, then consider this choice.

2. Go singleplayer. You forfeit the ability to play with others, but the singleplayer works fine. Maybe that’s a good enough trade off.

3. Play on a non-Gportal server. If you’re already on private but they’re on Gportal, or if you’re on Official, then seek another server with better performance. This means having to deal with non-Funcom admins, and your mileage will vary greatly from server to server. Some have good rules, some don’t. Many wipe occasionally. Most have at least the Pippi mod which you will need to subscribe to.

4. Take a slightly unethical approach and put Gportal on blast. Give them negative reviews on every site they advertise on, blow up their forums, and generally be a nuisance to them. I call this unethical because they are fulfilling the contract they agreed to. Its just the requirements they agreed to in 2017 are not good enough in 2020. But negative attention to both Funcom and Gportal may cause them both to come to some sort of an agreement. Its not a guarantee though. But if you care enough about the character progress on the server you play on, then this might be an option to take.

Everyone has the information they need to make a decision. Complaining further isn’t going to make any results, and I’ve outlined pretty much why. I mean I can’t tell everyone what to do and if they just want to moan on, then that’s a fifth choice they are free to make. It just won’t yield results at this point. And that is the real reason why we have an ‘us vs them’ situation. Many of us realize complaints are futile at this point, and we poke at people who don’t realize that yet.

1 Like

This has not been my experience.

And? Does posting in a forum solve anything? If there is an established path for reporting issues and folks instead avoid and and clamor for solutions in the one area that will never yeild results, the fault is not Funcoms.

If the reporting procedures are followed and Funcom does not act, then it is their issue and players will vote with their time as they peel off to other games.

For me, I enjoy the game. I play it for relaxation and enjoyment. I have no plans to stop.

So if they bear responsibility then they should fix it instead of playing the finger pointing game at Gportal.

Reporting issues through the channels has gotten no where for me. - its like the close door button on an elevator.

2 Likes

If this is true, then list the number of your official server because you’ve found the holy grail. I’m sure others would love to know which servers don’t have issues so they can switch over.

They didn’t point the blame. They haven’t said anything. Its the simple fact that in Early Access, the servers ran better than they do now. There’s been alot of content since then. Also I’m speaking from personal experience, when I had a server on Gportal, it ran like crap after two months. I took the ini files, the game.db and moved it to ServerBlend and it worked fine. So the issue wasn’t on us. I’d love to get my hands on an Official game.db and put it on a different host to see the difference. I would put money on the idea that it runs flawlessly at 60 Server FPS (Gportal caps at 30, if you even see above 20 when there’s more than 10 people online).

But as far as fixing it. How do YOU propose they do that?

1. They cannot switch hosts due to contract.
  2. They can’t beef up the hardware, Gportal is under no obligation to do so.

So what do you suggest?

Or are you in the camp that believes they have a ‘fix it’ button that they have yet to press? There’s alot of people in this game that think that way. Too many.

I have not seen it on any of the servers on which I play consistently. Of course, when I start a server and I find the community to be toxic, I leave.

https://forums.funcom.com/t/is-funcom-working-or-they-all-went-on-vacation/133387/4

Kind reminder to those reporting an infraction:

• We’re currently experiencing a high volume of tickets and response might be delayed.
    […]

Funcom_Ignasis
(Discord - August 13, 2020)

I believe that, as you mentioned, the reports go through Funcom and Funcom has to contact G-portal. If this is true, it would add to their volume of tickets. I could be wrong on the assumption that they have to (look at all reports to filter out non-technical issues and) contact them for individual reports though.

With the tool in use, reporting on the forums can create additional reports which community managers have to look at -and manually process instead of automatically-, which may or may not add to their workload. Posting here and getting faster response times could be seen as jumping in qeue and other people may then do the same etc. which could further add to their workload.

I’ve edited out the irrelevant bullet points in my previous reply concerning in-game issues. Sorry for the oversight.

If someone is to make a well-constructed suggestion for an alternative, it’d probably go a long way to getting it improved. Funcom might not know of every tool out there, or they might reconsider using the forums for these reports.
(An alternative tool which would automatically process reports could be the best imo, but I’m not an expert in this)

@TheLOLxd2-Chosen of Asura

So am I getting this right? No one at funcom is aware of this issue about server connections using steam that has been going on since that last patch? There have been no reports about it?

Just trying to cut through the fog here.

1 Like

Let’s narrow this down a bit.

You all cannot join the server because of higher pings than before, correct? I’m assuming the latency limit is preventing you from joining. I’m just wanting to make sure we’re on the same page.

@Stone-Spear Bad connection can be caused by many things, most of which can be fixed by either the player or the host. Ocassionally though, situation- or update-related issues will occur (or more generally “in-game issues”). As not everyone always has the exact same issue, reproducing and completely fixing these issues can be quite difficult. Several of those issues are currently known.

They also have to prioritize certain issues and sometimes they just have to do a console parity patch (or they would be upsetting a significant part of their player base which does not receive the same content as PC; and they still have to sell the game). Right now, they’re prioritizing a console parity patch. Once that’s succesfully through certification and most of the team is back from holidays, they’ll hopefully have some more breathing space for hotfixes (which may be merged into the next content update).

If the host isn’t able to fix it, it’s either one of those nasty in-game issues or it’s just a recurring issue and has to be fixed again, its cause is hidden deep in a data center haunted by a giant spider,… you name it (one -if not two- being sneaky ddos attacks and people hacking the host in general).

Needing to use “direct connect” (which I’ve heard has other side-effects…) is a known issue from the Funcom Live Services update iirc. You can always post a detailed bug report though.

@Palm522 If there’s no explicit mention of having used the tool, I’ll link the tool in case they don’t know of it or forgot to use it; Most people for instance won’t first ask “is/was there a tool for this issue?” if they can’t find it. Some people simply don’t look for a tool. Posting a link to said tool and pointing out a newer tool if said tool has been replaced is something anyone can do to help others out, given their post does not violate community guidelines.

Again, this tool is currently in use. There’s been no statement of it no longer being so, or it being replaced. If you see an issue with the tool, I can’t help you.

yes the other issue is battle eye. It has been known to cause issues for years.

We will have to disagree.

What does not work, though? Ignoring the report tool and blasting in the forums.

Direct connect is solved the ping problem.

Part of the problem is that Funcom removed the button to refresh the server list. So now, when your game fetches the list, if your ping at that moment is higher than the server’s maximum allowed ping, you either have to restart the game (to make it fetch the list again) or connect directly using the IP and port.

I opened a bug for that just now:

1 Like

I rent from gportal and have had a wonderful experience. The only time I had a technical issue was on a Sunday afternoon and they helped me get back up and running within 20 min of the initial problem.

1 Like

The workaround is that if you are willing to wait 20 minutes, the refresh button will activate.

yeah, restarting the game is faster.

All fallout from the last patch which, I believe, we can agree was sub-optimal.

1 Like

We have different experiences.

1 Like

The only problem with your entire statement in my regard is Single Player does not work properly at all and hasn’t in a very long time. This could be strictly your opinion that it does, but for myself and countless others it does NOT and every promise of future fixes and patches has done absolutely nothing to fix a myriad of problems. This isn’t just my opinion as well, this is just straight facts.

I have a hard time taking statements like this seriously. Whenever I play a game, and its as broken as you all claim this one is. I don’t stay with it for months and years. It gets dumped, uninstalled, and forgotten. I don’t see the point of waiting years for fixes that don’t come. I don’t have that much faith nor patience.

I give a game one month after release tops. That’s plenty of time to work out bugs. If it can’t be done in that amount of time. Chances are, they never will be. There’s exceptions. And those exceptions are so extraordinarily rare that they tend to hit news sites. Games such as Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky for example. I don’t need to check in on something like that periodically, I’ll hear about it through the grapevine.

But many of you have been here since Early Access. That’s almost three years. And for three years you all have been claiming the game is broken. I’ve been here since early access. I have 3500 hours played.

So either you all are over exaggerating the problems you have. Or you all have been sitting here in misery for three years, while I’ve been the luckiest gamer alive.

If its the latter, what the hell are you all doing? Seriously you all get off work, load up the game, and just sit in depression, sadness, and frustration due to bugs for a few hours every day, and have done this for the last three years? Am I supposed to believe that?

Its got to be the former. Come on now.

1 Like

Good for you.

I was going to say exactly the same when I read your comment. I do not care how many hours you have, 3.5 or 3500 because it’s absolutely irrelevant in this tread.

However there is hard headed dedicated players, like myself, who plays this game no matter what. Recent update on Xbox completely break the game, getting crashed multiple time, freeze the game, lag, rendering issues, invisible followers/npcs and the list goes on.
Despite all this I STILL PLAY THE GAME. Funcom should thank me and many others who still playing. Dedication
Does all these issues makes me wanna quit the game and give up? No. Because i love the game. However as a paying customer I have the right, as we all do, to come on to forum and ‘‘cry about the game’’

Imagine if the forum will be filled only with players like you who say ‘‘oh no this game is perfect’’
Where would this game be?

Have you ever heard of progress? What do you think how is progress works? Throughout feedback.
Not to mention look at the forum, Recent Xbox patch, some people don’t have a problem, but others do.
I just read somewhere one guy out of the whole clan has no issues since the latest update, however his whole clan has issues and they all quite the game.

So ye maybe you are the luckiest player, but coming here telling others how many hours you played and all complainers just whine people, well I gotta tell you, I do not care how many hours you put in this game,. You don’t like whine people on forum?
How about ignore the whine people on forum and just play your perfect game, instead of coming here acting like a smart …

2 Likes