How many is too many satellite bases?

A vast majority wanted these rules to begin with because the wild west approach wasn’t working as the new player perspective was soured with this notion that new players had to be abused as a means of indoctrination into the game. From a new player perspective, it’s a simple reaction to say ‘F off’ and log out to leave these more toxic elements play in their sandbox by themselves. The game stagnates and these toxic folks move on to something else leaving the game without a future. The ToS had to be implemented because, apparently, gamers have a very difficult time ‘adulting’.

1 Like

Yes.

I agree with you that official servers are a “favor” provided by Funcom. I put “favor” in quotes, because that word has connotations that shouldn’t apply to official servers, but it’s an easier and shorter way to say “a service provided by Funcom free of charge” and then going into details of how they don’t generate any direct revenue and do generate costs and that means we don’t get to complain about how we’re “the customers” when it comes to official servers.

All that being said, yes, what makes official servers special is that they’re official. They are meant to showcase and represent the game, and they represent Funcom to a degree. And if there’s any place where the official servers should be discussed, it’s on the official forums.

On the other hand, maybe we could have at least one thread not devolve into bickering about official server rules? @DeaconElie sounds really confusing and confused on the topic of whether this thread involves official servers or not, but I was under the impression it wasn’t meant to be dedicated to this particular oft-regurgitated discussion…

2 Likes

From what I’ve gathered this was all started because of the lack of enforcement players on pve/pvec could inflict. People building all around you or blocking resources… they don’t have gods/bombs and now lighting storm to help them get rid of such structures. The Wild West didn’t work because when someone reported a undermesh or hacker they never heard anything back much like this forum. The is a fact. Read the forums my guy new players are getting banned to right after buying the game… that is actually laughable. It’s out of hand now and if you can’t see that than you are blind.

Hello do your server have vanilla configs?

1 Like

I’m also starting to get interested in @Pugilist’s servers.

Hey, @Pugilist, do you have any posts in “server recruitment” forums? If not, could you share some info about what’s the platform, region, and game mode(s) for your servers?

I’m getting pretty damn sick of the official server on which I’m playing. The majority of what @Pugilist defines as “malicious” is already in evidence on that server, and I still haven’t overcome my reluctance to start filing Zendesk reports.

1 Like

Sure since the i started having problems with officials im looking for a server completely vanilla with no mods and no wipe, i found 2 close to it but they were pvp enable all the day and in not into pvp. @pugilist

1 Like

This is not exactly a fact. Especially considering actions taken against a player by administration. Which is the point I was making. Those threads get locked and delisted. For both official and private.

No, it’s my opinion. :slight_smile:

Each private server admin is free to manage the communication any way they wish. Like you mentioned, they might have a Discord server, for example, and they could opt to allow or disallow discussions of admin actions there.

Since we’re not really customers on official servers, there’s no legal reason why the same can’t apply to official servers.

That’s why I’m sharing my opinion here, rather than asserting that we have a right to something :slight_smile:

Sort of, but not exactly. What gets locked and de-listed for officials are the discussions of specific cases, especially if the purpose is clearly to complain or appeal about a specific decision, rather than foster a discussion about the game and/or the rules.

There are threads about official server rules that stay open for quite a while, and end up getting closed either due to age or because they devolve into toxicity. Those threads are invariably discussions about rules in general, their enforcement (also in general), and the (lack of) clarity involved.

1 Like

For what its worth, I don’t fault you for the opinions you have on them (or others for that matter). Its very similar to my own on the subject.

1 Like

Very simple for me:
Lets start with expansion of blocking zones (so people wouldnt make mistake to build there)
We allowed to build everywhere else and how we want except:
spider web foundations (to long lines without the purpose)
circling bases, monuments, camps
for PVP this is enough - people can erase anything they didn’t like…

But not for PVE. Even adding an upkeep system wouldn’t completely solve everything, and we would still need admin involvement. :confused:

If there’s a forum post, and no one argues about official server rules, does it make a sound?

3 Likes

I’m sorry but this idea that pvp can delete offending stuff. No…just no. Why on earth is this an acceptable measure that someone that has over 40K of foundations that all onus is on the playerbase to remove an offender of the ToS. Yeah no sorry but that isn’t what I signed up for…8 hours of destruction duty just because some clan went nutty back in 2020 and can’t just let go. F that! They are offending and remove that crap. It’s not my job as a player that plays to the current rules to excise the base camper that paved 5 grids worth of land.

Yes we do have to tools to remove it but taking out trash isn’t part of the game…especially when there are clear rules that were broken and moderator efforts are far easier to do.

1 Like

Sure you can take it to the extreme if you want to further argue but most people getting dev wiped aren’t spreading 40k foundations everywhere so please just try and keep pvp alive a bit if you actually do play it.
The point I was making is pve and pvec can’t take action with in game mechanics while pvp can

1 Like

I do and my problem isn’t those folks that are building a base too near a POI or 3 skull. My problem on SEVERAL servers is the massive builds AND foundation spamming that are flat out illegal. Believe me I wish the false reporting would die a quick and quite painful death so that my problems can get attention. Right now, it’s the thunderdome servers that get all of the attention and the enforcement is spread too thin because of all the whining over there…leaving the slower servers back to the wild west feel.

But to seriously answer the question… i would say 3. Three actual bases should be more than enough with some things scattered for convenience (maprooms, sacrificial alters, shallow graves).

Right now I am sitting on three bases, 4 maprooms, 1 shallow grave and just over 2K foundations in PVP so that I don’t believe it’s an issue. I may bring out one more because my design idea is a central base and separate bases for each clan member connected with teleporters. Each person can turn their teleporters off an on as needed but the central hub stays active and the central hub is where crafting happens…so their personal spaces can be quite small if they wanted.

Let’s not make an administrative issue into a development one.

im discouraged to using animal pen now, i did a base with 20 foundations diamenter and the animal pen is half of this size. Putting one will be the same of having a second base. I will mess up with the carefull harvester to see if i could get a suitable gold and ichor quantities to not need a 5 slots animal pen anymore. I also will give up of having various altars, will have only zath and derketo to craft the weapons and costumes.

Agreed to a point. Many businesses have costs that are not always directly linked to the revenue. Even that is subjective. If we’re to use conservative thinking “you need to spend money to make money” or some such.

If they don’t want to support officials to a specific expected industry standard then remove them. But at this time they exist, people play on them and have purchased the game to play only on them, they have rules specifically for these servers and a method of reporting issues. While not the best of support, support still exists.

1 Like

Although I don’t actively recruit, folks are welcome to join.

The specs are:

• G-portal Hosted, US East
  • 20 slots
  • Auto Update
  • Daily reboot at 5:00 AM ET
  • No region exclusion
  • PVE, no mods
  • Decay turned off
  • Idle thirst and hunger reduced
  • Vanilla setting for gameplay and purge
  • Servers (Exiled Lands and Siptah) renew yearly

I am happy to message folks the server names