In Game Performance-ometer

He’s done this numerous times, it just falls on deaf ears.

Funny thing, 2018/19, PVE Servers were littered with huge Bases, people hda hundreds sometimes thousands of thralls standing around, servers had login queues because they were full and somehow performance was not worse than today when thrall and npc pathing goes lopsided once more than 10-12 people are online at the same time?
So where did it go wrong?

1 Like

I honestly don’t remember him ever weighing in on the “in-game performance-o-meter” issue.

I’m not talking about the off-topic noise about Funcom’s choice of servers, Funcom’s priorities in development, Funcom’s community management idiosyncrasies, and such. I know @Multigun has weighed in on those before, and I wouldn’t ask him to do so again, because I think that this discussion deserves to stay on its original topic, but I really would like to read his opinion on the original proposal.

I value his technical knowledge and hands-on expertise a lot. If he has already expressed his opinions on this topic elsewhere, can someone point me to it?

4 Likes

There is an issue with this in the forums and has actually caused issues with people stopping to use the forums. We have been very lenient about members not sticking to the forum rules. My advice is to stick to them or face the music. If we post to keep your comments in the forums civil, I suggest you follow the advice. :hammer: I do not like using this, don’t take your chances. :hammer:

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t believe I’ve read anything like that from him in the past 6 months… Which is why I asked. I wasn’t commenting on or even thinking about, any aspect of his tone - just to be perfectly clear. He very often indicates there is “an answer” without providing it - it’s just his style I think. No need for anyone to take offence.

1 Like

@Tephra
I would like this too. I believe it would be really useful for players to know and adjust their bases with the good performance. Actually I see my self spending decades of hours to understand what causes performance issues and report to devs with numbers and facts, not speculations. So if this idea is possible I support it more than anything else.
You know, these people gave me thousands hours of joy, I think that if I can do something to give them my appreciation, I would surely do it.

I made that choice in the PVE category in November.

It has been wonderful.

2 Likes

I suspect a real time server status object is never going to happen.

However, if you hit the tilde button, `, normally located to the left of your “1” key, above TAB, and then type:

toggledebugHUD [ENTER]

It will display, in the upper right corner, your current ping, the number of players active on the server, and the current FPS rate which is contextual for the area.

If you are in a heavy build area, you will see the FPS meter plummet, but it will never go above 30, which is the server cap.

I’ve used this, mostly to diagnose connection issues as I have not had FPS related lag issues, ever, but it should provide you with the basic information that I believe you are seeking.

If you’ve already considered and rejected this, no worries.

2 Likes

That works on PC. Console players don’t have access to the … console. Naming is hard :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, it doesn’t really have to be real time. Make it something that’s calculated every time a database snapshot is taken or whatever.

Server FPS from the debug HUD is what I use right now, but it’s a crude tool and I don’t know if it’s good enough to help people stay within the bounds of the TOS.

3 Likes

“That works on PC. Console players don’t have access to the … console.”

Oops. Missed that.

Yeah, excellent point.

Without a tool to let folks know if they are in compliance, random wipes and bans and resultant player frustration will always be an issue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.