Ingame transportation system: map room

Its apparent that no one lacks imagination here. I’m reminded of that scene from “The princess Bride” and I quote “truly your logic is dizzying”

1 Like

So could your enemies. :smile:

1 Like

Ive seen mods that you can have your own clan obelisks.
Never used them, so I do not know if they are clan only.
That would stop peeps from peeing in your pool.

I wish there was 100 like button for this.

I realise @CodeMage already gave a good response to this but I thought I’d offer my perspective as well. The map room is a transmitter and the obelisks are receivers. One way traffic, I like that system it forces us to prepare for the return journey.

2 Likes

I think the compliant is that we don’t need map rooms, but instead need to just teleport between way points you have already visited. And also back to base whenever. So no traveling at all needed.

i’ve been complaining about maprooms since they announced they will include them in the game. Kinda Unpopular opinion, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t take it personal dude, i’m just saying my opinion.
I know it well and i don’t really use them at all other than the journal step, sometimes when i’m lazy, but most of the time rather use my horse.

For me, the Maproom was a cheap and bad decision from the game designers. Takes a lot of space, looks awfully out of context from the game lore perspective and doesn’t sum anything good for the gameplay other than simple fast travel to some obelisk around the map. They also implemented them because there were no horses back then…
They said the negative aspect of using teleportation was the corruption gaining but is negligible and most of the time, some player already placed a public maproom with a well and dancers encaged somewhere… so yeah, no repercutions.
You could say its difficult to build, and maybe it is for a lowlevel player but with enough time you will have enough corrupted stones to fill thje map with maprooms to make this topic obsolete.

So yeah, i rather not use them at all, and i wish they did something else to include fast travel, aside from horses of course, but they did maybe the worst option after free fast travel from anywhere.

I really wish people would get tired of saying “don’t use a thing” as if it was a solution. It’s not. It never was and never will be. That’s not how things work and there are literally tons of books based on years of research that show it.

When it comes to map rooms, yeah, @Cyryus seems to be in the minority group that holds an unpopular opinion about them. I can completely understand their point of view: if there was no teleportation, it would, among other things, increase the probability of people running into each other on a server and it would change the way people choose spots for their bases.

And that would be nice, if it didn’t come at a serious cost of making several other aspects of the game boring and frustrating. Right now, if I need some iron or steel, I’ll go to Godsclaw Passage in full encumbrance and mine the crap out of it. Then I’ll run a relatively short distance to a public map room, teleport to an obelisk and run a relatively short distance to my base. Same thing if I need lots of stone, but replace Godsclaw Passage with the volcano. Same thing with wood and the Oasis of Nekhet.

Get rid of that, and the full encumbrance becomes useless, because now your base isn’t a relatively short distance away. That means I would have to change the way I farm to make many long trips with very small yields, which would make the whole process of building much slower and more frustrating.

If I could, for example, get a T4 bearer and a camel mount, and if I didn’t have to worry about them dying in lava because the AI is dumber than a sack of hammers, and if I could get them to follow me without getting in the way of my pick and/or humping my back all the time – then I wouldn’t mind getting rid of map rooms.

And no, I don’t really care about anyone who’s going to come up and say “but you’re not supposed to be able to farm like that in a survival game”. Forget that argument, too. “Survival game” is still a game, and games are supposed to be fun, not boring and frustrating.

1 Like

Based on the location of the obelisks all being relatively close to boss areas it’s always been my impression that their main purpose is to save time getting back to your corpse. That’s all I use them for anyway.

Yeah i would love to see player made obelisk that would encourage peoples to move away from the actual obelisk even if they are expensive.

They got you covered.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1641464108

If i was hosting a server yeah. It’s not actually in the game so it’s not on official servers. There’s is mod for about everything if i wouldn’t want to play on official server even some that make it a different game pretty much :slight_smile:

In this case, the majority of early human civilizations formed around rivers and other sources of water. So while it’s not necessary from a game perspective to build in these locations, it’s perfectly rational from a human perspective.

1 Like

People would just post guard around them like the panther were getting annoying at the jungle obelisk so i just posted 2 thralls there that kill them on spawn. wouldn’t work of PvP server tho. For the corruption on PvE people would just place some dancer near the obelisk for that purpose. If someone want to limit the obelisk travel they would need a cool down between use.

In my opinion a new expensive large item that act like a players made obelisk would still be a nice quality of life item and for PvP purpose you could even make so there is a dark purple smoke beam above them to signal them to other clans since those would became strategic target to take down.

Lucky for us, some people got never tired of saying this and we moved forward from the middle ages, :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I agree with you about the nerfing it does to the game i general. Removes pros/cons of regional building all together. for PVP even more so, you are 2 minutes from everyones base.

Fast travel as it is is part of what has added to to “over” building on officials. It is far too easy to mass farm, as @CodeMage stated earlier in the thread. Now i agree, there are some broken issues with thrall AI that make fast travel a band aid for that. But again, no one has countered how un-regional and un-territorial a game about Conan is. And how fast travel removes the essence of Conan stories, traveling the lands. If you cannot see the irony in that, then you may not be as big a Conan fan as you think.

1 Like

I will have to disagree.

I play on PVE and the maproom system allows us to respond to Purges at any point on the map reliably and quickly.

Now, granted, we have open maprooms at all obelisks, save the Unnamed City, of course.

I would love to see maproom to maproom transport added, however, and the ability to have allies to share caches of critical supplies.

1 Like